Coaching search 2021

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What an odd predicament to be stuck with a coach who made you tangibly better and yet terminally short of your goals because he’s a stubborn ass mule whose best bud is his boss.

How do you fix that short of arranging a hit?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'll bet Terry Bowden is 600 pounds by now. He was making Jabba the Hutt look like Lance Armstrong.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just checking to see if the Donkey made any suggestions. As expected, nope... He just likes bitching about the coaches we have, but never suggests who he thinks could do better.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Since Mullen has decided to die on Grantham's sword we can be sure that we will be looking for a coach in 2023. No time like the present to look into the crystal ball and see who's available.
I would like a coach that has deep ties in Florida and proven he can recruit top 5 classes.
Has won multiple P5 conference championships.
Has won an NC.
Recruited a Heisman QB.

I present to you:
Jimbo Fisher
And the good news is there's no buyout in his contract. Just cough up more than $7.5M/yr.
You my gator friend, are a sick puppy!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was just checking to see if the Donkey made any suggestions. As expected, nope... He just likes *****ing about the coaches we have, but never suggests who he thinks could do better.
Why is it his or anyone's else job to name names on other prospects? We have no input on the decision.

I'm quite certain Donkey could come up with some better names, but who would GAF?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I too find this whole, "well who would YOU hire instead" argument woefully tiresome, totally irrelevant, and absolutely transparent as the apology for ineptitude that it is.

It isn't any of our job's to know or suggest a better option. It's an AD's job who makes millions per year. No AD worth the paper he wipes his azz with should ever be without a living list of the best 5 to 7 head coaches, and assistant/coordinators out there that could be pursued if necessary at a moments notice.

We fans buy the product by watching the games, paying for tickets and merch and supporting the program financially in a variety of other ways. We are the customer. It's not our job to determine where/what/how changes are made, but it damn sure is our duty to let the company know when their product is substandard. It's the company's job to correct the deficiencies or face falling revenue.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wrong.
It's totally relevant. We second guess every decision made in the program from Fuchs down to the water boy. So why not the coaching search?

It's the same thing I tell my employees that bytch about another employee. You find someone better and I'll replace him. Until then STFU.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's the same thing I tell my employees that bytch about another employee. You find someone better and I'll replace him. Until then STFU.
Your employees have the power to do just that. I can't bring a better coaching prospect into Stricklin's office.

The entire point of this is that there are plenty of good coaches out there. Hundreds, possibly thousands. We don't have to settle for mediocrity. Could it be worse? Of course, but at least you could say you were actually trying something else.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
We're the consumer not employees, if your customer complains about one of your employees do you ask them to suggest a replacement or tell them to STFU?
Wrong.
It's totally relevant. We second guess every decision made in the program from Fuchs down to the water boy. So why not the coaching search?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Your employees have the power to do just that. I can't bring a better coaching prospect into Stricklin's office.

The entire point of this is that there are plenty of good coaches out there. Hundreds, possibly thousands. We don't have to settle for mediocrity. Could it be worse? Of course, but at least you could say you were actually trying something else.
Ok, then let’s give Bobo a shot.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We're the consumer not employees, if your customer complains about one of your employees do you ask them to suggest a replacement or tell them to STFU?
The consumer doesn't have the responsibility of doing what's best for the business long term. I do. So while I'd love to fire any given employee on any given day I can't because I need every body.
Firing somebody without a replacement means you'll make a desperate and likely disastrous hire that you are sure to regret. We have a long history of that. You have to have a plan.
Mullen will be gone sooner or later. Who has the credentials to replace him not named Nick, Urban or even Dabo?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The consumer doesn't have the responsibility of doing what's best for the business long term. I do. So while I'd love to fire any given employee on any given day I can't because I need every body.
Firing somebody without a replacement means you'll make a desperate and likely disastrous hire that you are sure to regret. We have a long history of that. You have to have a plan.
Mullen will be gone sooner or later. Who has the credentials to replace him not named Nick, Urban or even Dabo?
Were you once on the Board of Trustees at Auburn University? You sound just like what they were doing years ago when they tried to lure Bobby Petrino to come and be their coach.

Hey, there is you a possible next head coach... Bobby Petrino. :lol2:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Were you once on the Board of Trustees at Auburn University? You sound just like what they were doing years ago when they tried to lure Bobby Petrino to come and be their coach.

Hey, there is you a possible next head coach... Bobby Petrino. :lol2:
Fire Mullen now and we may end up with Bobby Petrino.
Seriously I'd like to hear some names. Are we going to try the up and coming coordinator path again? Because at UF that's just what we need - someone without head coaching experience. Or the one hit wonder path like Herman or Frost?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Fire Mullen now and we may end up with Bobby Petrino.
Seriously I'd like to hear some names. Are we going to try the up and coming coordinator path again? Because at UF that's just what we need - someone without head coaching experience. Or the one hit wonder path like Herman or Frost?
Hugh Freeze

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong.

We aren't your employees, and we aren't Stricnine's either. When I return a product to walmart because it sucked and I want my money back or a replacement, I dont need to provide them an improved solution before reimbursement. A customer consumes and when necessary, provides critique of product. A company's job is to provide product, listen to consumer's feedback and adjust. That's it. All the inner workings of the company you mentioned are the company's problem to handle, not the consumer's. That's why the company makes money, and the consumer doesn't.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We aren't your employees, and we aren't Stricnine's either. When I return a product to walmart because it sucked and I want my money back or a replacement, I dont need to provide them an improved solution before reimbursement. A customer consumes and when necessary, provides critique of product. A company's job is to provide product, listen to consumer's feedback and adjust. That's it. All the inner workings of the company you mentioned are the company's problem to handle, not the consumer's. That's why the company makes money, and the consumer doesn't.
Blah, blah, blah. Maybe message boards aren't for you. We discuss every minuscule detail of the athletic department and yet nobody can suggest a legitimate replacement for Mullen.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Firing somebody without a replacement means you'll make a desperate and likely disastrous hire that you are sure to regret.

It's why you should always be interviewing candidates regardless of having a position open. It lets your current employees know they are expendable and keeps them on their toes. It also allows you to know what else is out there.

As for your business, I'm just glad to know it survived WuFlu. I bet you are making social distancing signs and "wear your face mask" signs and 6' apart floor stickers like crazy.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's why you should always be interviewing candidates regardless of having a position open. It lets your current employees know they are expendable and keeps them on their toes. It also allows you to know what else is out there.

As for your business, I'm just glad to know it survived WuFlu. I bet you are making social distancing signs and "wear your face mask" signs and 6' apart floor stickers like crazy.
We're not. Those things are commodities. I'll let you know in 6 months if we've survived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.