COMING SPRING 2021: Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Spurrier has been advertising on the radio to hire staff. They have 360 positions to fill. Can you imagine that kind of payroll selling food?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's signs all the way out here in Williston looking for employees. Hard to believe no one wants to work/work there.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
My company is hiring for all positions. Employees are hard to find these days.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Word on the street is the management team there is a giant cluster. They are trying to hire people that are career waitstaff, like folks that have worked in high $$ steak houses and top-shelf mixologists. The restaurant is like slated to be the second biggest in the state. Idk, if the place is positioning itself right

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Word on the street is the management team there is a giant cluster. They are trying to hire people that are career waitstaff, like folks that have worked in high $$ steak houses and top-shelf mixologists. The restaurant is like slated to be the second biggest in the state. Idk, if the place is positioning itself right
Restaurants don’t have high success rates.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Restaurants don’t have high success rates.

Yes, if the food sux, nothing else matters. Sure sometimes the name on the sign can keep it around for a while regardless of ownership, but if the food sux, it won;t matter. Louie's Lunch did not survive b/c they had a professional staff, they made a kick-azz burger.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds GREAT..... six weekends a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's just it, does Gainesville have the population footprint to support something of that size.
The professors now make great money, but Im not sure they want to dine at a football coach's place. Not very woke.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The professors now make great money, but Im not sure they want to dine at a football coach's place. Not very woke.

yep... especially after some of their grad assistant, purple haired Twitter doofuses go combing thru 'literally' everything that SOS/HBC has ever said in his life... trying desperately to find anything to cancel his ass.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
During the Season Yes...Summer...NO

Which is my point and what Tijuana said. 6 weekends of the year, the city is slammed with people. While school is in session there is roughly 120,000 people within the city limits, when summer hits it's close to 80,000. Is there enough in Gainesville to support a restaurant its size, if it's going to be bigger than almost if not all the restaurants in the cities in Florida with millions of people in it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Which is my point and what Tijuana said. 6 weekends of the year, the city is slammed with people. While school is in session there is roughly 120,000 people within the city limits, when summer hits it's close to 80,000. Is there enough in Gainesville to support a restaurant its size, if it's going to be bigger than almost if not all the restaurants in the cities in Florida with millions of people in it.

Needs to put it in the Villages...lots of $$$

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
So... let me understand this. You can plan a building, and actually build it in less than a year?

I thought this only happened in South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.

I thought in Gainesville it took at least 10 years to build something.
I wish they'd named that after Spurrier too, so he'd embarrass them into finishing it sooner, publicly if necessary.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Not sure if that was hyperbole -- the second-biggest restaurant in the state??

A lot of people probably know that the sprawling Columbia Restaurant in Tampa with its many dining rooms is the biggest in Florida, at 1,700 seats. I tried a web search and couldn't verify the second-biggest, but I looked up some Miami restaurants that I know are pretty big. The Rusty Pelican on Key Biscayne seats 550, Joe's Stone Crab on South Beach seats 486 and there's a sushi restaurant on Brickell Ave. called Komodo that seats 300.

Does Spurrier's seat more than 550 people?? If so that's crazy, and unsustainable in that market.

SOS should've patterned his restaurant after the one that everyone knows is his favorite in town, or at least was for a long time. Ballyhoo Grill, just west of 36th Street on University Avenue. Similar decor, similar menu and similar size, or maybe just a little bigger. That would've been perfect for SOS and for the type of people who'd be most inclined to go to an SOS-themed restaurant.

If the management team is really hiring "career waitstaff, like folks that have worked in high $$ steak houses and top-shelf mixologists," that is a huge mistake. I'm sure they will get some Bull Gators coming in on game weekends, but otherwise the fine dining crowd in Gainesville is not nearly big enough to keep that place afloat.

By the way, my guess as to why the ball plays on the wall are from the Orlando Apollos rather than the Gators, Gamecocks, Redskins or even Blue Devils is because of proprietary / licensing reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator