Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
NFL also allows 50 percent of his teams to get into the playoffs... and it's an apples to oranges comparison. The NFl doesn't have the back drop of bowl games to supplement it's income.

It is apples and oranges ... but not because of bowl games or anything like that. But because there are only 32 teams in the league and more teams get to play eachother (multiple times). So ... you know which Division is strong with a lot more certainty than you would in College.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NFL also allows 50 percent of his teams to get into the playoffs... and it's an apples to oranges comparison. The NFl doesn't have the back drop of bowl games to supplement it's income.
It’s a great comparison, I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your argument. Your argument is “deserves” which is subjective. The NFL has a clearly defined system and that how the Seahawks ended up in the playoffs.

If the CFP are expanded then the system is clearly defined and not based on who does or doesn’t “deserve”

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is apples and oranges ... but not because of bowl games or anything like that. But because there are only 32 teams in the league and more teams get to play eachother (multiple times). So ... you know which Division is strong with a lot more certainty than you would in College.

Bowl games aren't the only reason... it was a complete apples to oranges comparison.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Did they win their conference? If yes, then yes.

Are they one of the highest 6 teams ranked that are not conf champs (including independents like ND)? If yes, then yes.

I could totally go for the above.

I remember an 8-4 acc champ f$u team... Do you think that’s enough to warrant a playoff berth?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a great comparison, I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your argument. Your argument is “deserves” which is subjective. The NFL has a clearly defined system and that how the Seahawks ended up in the playoffs.

If the CFP are expanded then the system is clearly defined and not based on who does or doesn’t “deserve”

It's completely apples to oranges... because you choose to deny that is killing your argument. Each division plays another division of it's own conference and then one of the other conference. You are comparing NFL which is a completely different animal (32 to 130 teams)…

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Notre Dame should be in a conference, and the conference championship games are really the first round of the playoff. The weakest conference champion is left out.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I remember an 8-4 acc champ f$u team... Do you think that’s enough to warrant a playoff berth?

Would you mind a 8-4 SEC team in the playoffs? Again ... won't it come out in the wash when they have to play other teams in a playoff?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Would you mind a 8-4 SEC team in the playoffs? Again ... won't it come out in the wash when they have to play other teams in a playoff?

I would, just like I minded when an non SEC Champion Alabama and a non Big 10 Champion Ohio State were in the playoff.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So ... if they did take all Conf Champions and then the next 6 highest ranked teams that didnt win their conference you would see a playoff between the following teams. And to the original point of this thread, how many players on these teams would actually sit out to prepare for the draft? If they did ... it would be a PR nightmare for that player and I am sure the NFL would take that into consideration?

UCF - AAC
Clemson - ACC
Oklahoma - Big 12
Ohio State - Big 10
UAB - Conf USA
Northern IL - MAC
Fresno State - Mount West
Washington - Pac 12
Alabama - SEC
App State - Sun Belt
Notre Dame - At Large
UGA - At Large
Michigan - At Large
Florida - At Large
LSU - At Large
PSU - At Large

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
And I said I would have an issue with it, as I had an issue with those two non Championship teams that got in.

Thats because you 1) are basing that scenario off the current system ... and/or ... 2) not entertaining the original pretense of what you are replying to that it applied to an expanded playoff.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So ... if they did take all Conf Champions and then the next 6 highest ranked teams that didnt win their conference you would see a playoff between the following teams. And to the original point of this thread, how many players on these teams would actually sit out to prepare for the draft? If they did ... it would be a PR nightmare for that player and I am sure the NFL would take that into consideration?

UCF - AAC
Clemson - ACC
Oklahoma - Big 12
Ohio State - Big 10
UAB - Conf USA
Northern IL - MAC
Fresno State - Mount West
Washington - Pac 12
Alabama - SEC
App State - Sun Belt
Notre Dame - At Large
UGA - At Large
Michigan - At Large
Florida - At Large
LSU - At Large
PSU - At Large

Or how about a 8 team playoff using top 6 ranked Conf Champs and then the highest 2 ranked non-conf?

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
UCF
Washington
ND
UGA

Point is ... only way to make more games relevant and meaningful is to expand the playoffs. Playoffs could be expanded many ways, but I personally think the only way to expand is to make sure Conference Championships are part of the solution.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's damn near impossible to think you can get away with throwing a stolen laptop out your dorm window and yet a certain NFL MVP did it in college, in Gainesville, in broad daylight.

They're kids. They're dumb. You should try it some time. You know, the parent thing.
You should try it some time. You know, the f*cking off and eating a bag of dicks thing.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I don't blame him at all. Or any first round pick for that matter unless of course your in the playoff, why risk your career to a serious injury for a Bowl that really has no significance.
A good chance to let the young guys play and see what hey can do.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or how about a 8 team playoff using top 6 ranked Conf Champs and then the highest 2 ranked non-conf?

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
UCF
Washington
ND
UGA

Point is ... only way to make more games relevant and meaningful is to expand the playoffs. Playoffs could be expanded many ways, but I personally think the only way to expand is to make sure Conference Championships are part of the solution.

But are we expanding to just expand them or for a reason. Right now the BCS bowl games still add value, the problem is the 28 other bowl games, similar to the one that started this thread. You're line of thought doesn't fix that at all.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
UCF
Washington
ND
UGA

JMHO, but expanding beyond 8 teams would mean top teams resting players during rivalry week. Could you imagine if Tebow and Percy sat out vs the nole$ because UF was a lock for the Top 16? Gator Nation would riot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What happens when a playoff team is so good 7 or 8 stars no-show. That ain't the product that got contracted for.
Star players matter; they are the attractions that ticket buyers want to see.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I'd like to see a 32 team playoff. The FCS does it successfully with a 24 team playoff, with the top 8 seeds getting a first week bye. I'd revamp the existing bowl structure to make it work. t wouldn't occupy all of the current 39 FBS bowls, but it would make 31 of the 39 bowls meaningful, with reasons for the stars to play.

The 10 FBS conference champions would get automatic bids, the remaining 22 would be at-large bids.

The quality of football would be better. Today, 76 teams make it to bowl games. With this scenario, it would be the top 32 teams in the playoffs, and no real argument that a team that might deserve to get in didn't make it. If you're not in the top 32, you really don't deserve to be in.

Last edited:

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
What happens when a playoff team is so good 7 or 8 stars no-show. That ain't the product that got contracted for.
Star players matter; they are the attractions that ticket buyers want to see.

We're always telling players that they should commit to a school, not to a coach. Maybe as a fan you should commit to a team, not a player. Besides, your ticket isn't a "contract" for you to see certain players, it is a "contract" to see certain teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator