Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's damn near impossible to think you can get away with throwing a stolen laptop out your dorm window and yet a certain NFL MVP did it in college, in Gainesville, in broad daylight.

They're kids. They're dumb. You should try it some time. You know, the parent thing.
And this means what exactly?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Some players don't fit the scheme, get home sick or lose family. Do you bash grimes or van? I dont. It's idiotic to hold the labor force to a completely different set of rules than the coaches knowing they have no other avenue to showcase their nfl talent. As for the playoffs it should be expanded to the FCS size.
At least finish the season...I'm not even saying the year.

Take out an insurance policy.

And what would his year have looked like if his OL decided to not block in those easy games? One wrong hit and...

And if I'm a scout do I want this guy in my locker room?

Does Drew Brees now take the next 3 games off? He's worth FAR MORE than this turd.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They're kids. They're dumb. You should try it some time. You know, the parent thing.
He is right, Sas. All those platitudes and things you will do with YOUR KIDS...........they aint NEAR as easy when you have them. All youguns are different. VERY different.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This is a pretty dynamic situation. Not specifically Grier, but all of those that choose to sit out of a bowl game in order to prepare for the draft/NFL. Personally, I think we can thank the BCS for this.

Does anyone really care about any of the bowl games until those starting around 29 Dec? Even a couple of the bowl games that day are meaningless ... even the Peach Bowl is consider meaningless by most across the nation and even probably some UF and UM fans. We just got one of the best honorable mention bowl games, thats all. It means a bit more to us because its our team and we know where they were a year ago.

I dont know if it will get better either. The only way I see it becoming meaningful for more teams each year is maybe expanding the playoffs to more teams. I read it somewhere that a 16 team playoff could take all 10 conf champs and then leave the remaining 6 spots open to be filled by the remaining highest ranked teams. Everyone else goes and has a meaningless honorable mention bowl game. Though players would still not play in the bowl games, I bet it would be rare to see a player skip playing in the playoffs. Just spit-balling and throwing a red herring out there in this conversation.

I gotta say though, not a huge fan of how it has evolved though.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a pretty dynamic situation. Not specifically Grier, but all of those that choose to sit out of a bowl game in order to prepare for the draft/NFL. Personally, I think we can thank the BCS for this.

Does anyone really care about any of the bowl games until those starting around 29 Dec? Even a couple of the bowl games that day are meaningless ... even the Peach Bowl is consider meaningless by most across the nation and even probably some UF and UM fans. We just got one of the best honorable mention bowl games, thats all. It means a bit more to us because its our team and we know where they were a year ago.

I dont know if it will get better either. The only way I see it becoming meaningful for more teams each year is maybe expanding the playoffs to more teams. I read it somewhere that a 16 team playoff could take all 10 conf champs and then leave the remaining 6 spots open to be filled by the remaining highest ranked teams. Everyone else goes and has a meaningless honorable mention bowl game. Though players would still not play in the bowl games, I bet it would be rare to see a player skip playing in the playoffs. Just spit-balling and throwing a red herring out there in this conversation.

I gotta say though, not a huge fan of how it has evolved though.

Any bowl game outside the ones chosen by the playoff ranks are meaningless and have been since the start of the BCS. Teams are there for the vacation, free stuff and meals. The game is just an add on.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So cancel them.

They won't, but they should. Too much money is tied up in the sponsoring, the cities, etc... When you have to have a winning season to get into a bowl game, what are you really be rewarded for.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
They won't, but they should. Too much money is tied up in the sponsoring, the cities, etc... When you have to have a winning season to get into a bowl game, what are you really be rewarded for.

What reward? All your best players want to skip the game.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Any bowl game outside the ones chosen by the playoff ranks are meaningless and have been since the start of the BCS. Teams are there for the vacation, free stuff and meals. The game is just an add on.

Yeah ... that was my point. And based on that point made, the only way to make more games meaningful in the current set up is to expand the playoffs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah ... that was my point. And based on that point made, the only way to make more games meaningful in the current set up is to expand the playoffs.

Then you are allowing teams that don't deserve a shot at the National Title, a shot. This really is a no win situation.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Do you believe a 2 loss team deserves a shot at the National Title in the majority of years?

Did they win their conference? If yes, then yes.

Are they one of the highest 6 teams ranked that are not conf champs (including independents like ND)? If yes, then yes.

I could totally go for the above.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did they win their conference? If yes, then yes.

Are they one of the highest 6 teams ranked that are not conf champs (including independents like ND)? If yes, then yes.

I could totally go for the above.

So do you believe the winner of a weak conference like the Pac-12 (3 losses Champion) deserves as equal of a shot as Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, and in my opinion Ohio State (Notre Dame should be in a conference).

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Then you are allowing teams that don't deserve a shot at the National Title, a shot. This really is a no win situation.
The 2010 Seahawks went 7-9 and hosted a home playoff game. Are you saying they didn’t “deserve” it?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So do you believe the winner of a weak conference like the Pac-12 (3 losses Champion) deserves as equal of a shot as Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, and in my opinion Ohio State (Notre Dame should be in a conference).

Sure. WHy not? And you can't really say a conference is weak with any certainty, can you? It comes out in the wash when they have to play other teams. It will really show how weak conferences are or not. I would think as an SEC fan this would be a good situation.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 2010 Seahawks went 7-9 and hosted a home playoff game. Are you saying they didn’t “deserve” it?

NFL also allows 50 percent of his teams to get into the playoffs... and it's an apples to oranges comparison. The NFl doesn't have the back drop of bowl games to supplement it's income.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
You guys hear about the latest? the NFL is becoming the NFFL (national football flag league) after the BS calls in the Dallas/Philly game I am fed up with the refs "interpretation" of a helmet to helmet hit by a running back. All the high paid kids who game the fans to go to the next level can eat my shorts. That is all....carry on

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator