Dabo Swinney rips call-in fan on the air

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's all a pipe dream, because for sought-after coaches, these schools will back up the Brinks truck to land them. If they won't pay them, someone else will, so they'll give them whatever they want.

The only way it would actually change is if revenues dropped to the point where it had to.
I think it’s coming. As steaming grows and cable/satellite continues to decline, I think these huge TV contracts will become a thing of the past. Ticket sales, concessions and merchandise revenue won’t pay these insane contracts and they sure as hell won’t pay these asinine buyouts. You make a bad hire and you’re going to suffer the consequences for the length of the contract.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I think it’s coming. As steaming grows and cable/satellite continues to decline, I think these huge TV contracts will become a thing of the past. Ticket sales, concessions and merchandise revenue won’t pay these insane contracts and they sure as hell won’t pay these asinine buyouts. You make a bad hire and you’re going to suffer the consequences for the length of the contract.
There is at least one school doing so already because they went to far on the buyout (A&M). There are going to be several other schools who hired in the last few years (or stupidly extended a coach for no reason) that are facing the same dilemma. If they fire him, they have to pay the buyout, hire another coach for more than they are paying the current guy and possibly pay a buyout where he is to get him. Revenue isn't down yet, so they just have to put in the ear plugs and let him coach us until the buyout is manageable.

And, as you say, as TV revenues drop (assuming they do - I think they will), the "we have to be patient" with this guy mantras from ADs will be more likely than big buy outs.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You mean to tell me err'body is just going to let "onerous" slide without comment? We're slipping fellas. This is on us. Let's get it fixed.

I think the onerous is on Billy tomorrow to get it done. We aren't going to win with smoking mirrors. If we lose, Billy better be looking for his escape goat!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You mean to tell me err'body is just going to let "onerous" slide without comment? We're slipping fellas. This is on us. Let's get it fixed.

I think the onerous is on Billy tomorrow to get it done. We aren't going to win with smoking mirrors. If we lose, Billy better be looking for his escape goat!
For all intensive purposes, I agree.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

For all intensive purposes, you are correct!

Durty best me to it!

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

giphy.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's all a pipe dream, because for sought-after coaches, these schools will back up the Brinks truck to land them. If they won't pay them, someone else will, so they'll give them whatever they want.

The only way it would actually change is if revenues dropped to the point where it had to.

Performance based compensation in any form will not be tolerated by any group associated with education, it goes against everything they believe in.
Before you know it, someone will suggest that tuition should be tied to the earnings of the recent graduates and we all know that will never be acceptable.

Until sports is completely separate from the schools this will never happen.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You are only saying this because you are buyest.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Dabo got a much needed win today, still pissed Clemson sh!t the bed against Fsu and Scum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.