Dabo Swinney rips call-in fan on the air

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Let's get real here. The only reason Dabo accomplished what he did was because Clown College :nole: and The University of Florida were down at the same time. To his credit, he took advantage of that. But, the Clowns and us are recruiting again. The players who used to go to Clemson now stay in state. Their time is over.If he wants to win he'll need to go elsewhere. We will probably be hiring after next season.

And more than just us, um and the noles, the vols were down and uga was bumbling through their final days of Richt when he was establishing his pipelines. He had free rein of the Atlanta market and all of Florida for several years. Once that ended, so did his brief run. Clemson is not a natural power. They need situations to line up, which they did.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Got to admit that was entertaining, has anyone ever called out one of our coaches on the call in show like that? I always figured they tried to screen callers to always get ass kissing questions for the coaches. Dabo was ready to fight that guy. LOL

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe Ox's mind-camp is wearing me down. I agree with Dabo.
That fan was a rude asshat of epic proportions. A championship winning coach shouldn't have to entertain that crap for one milasecond.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
clemson-football.gif

Cliff Notes

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Got to admit that was entertaining, has anyone ever called out one of our coaches on the call in show like that? I always figured they tried to screen callers to always get ass kissing questions for the coaches. Dabo was ready to fight that guy. LOL
Agreed. Screened.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe Ox's mind-camp is wearing me down. I agree with Dabo.
That fan was a rude asshat of epic proportions. A championship winning coach shouldn't have to entertain that crap for one milasecond.
Really though? Paid more than $10million per year with buyout contract and gets to tell fans, it’s none of your business?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Okay, we need someone to call in to Sun Belt Billy’s show and ask this very same question. It’s a fair issue to bring up to him.

I‘m willing to do it but thought I’d offer any of you the opportunity to make the call so I’m not hogging all the fun stuff for myself. If no takers, I’ll smile & dial into next week’s show.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, we need someone to call in to Sun Belt Billy’s show and ask this very same question. It’s a fair issue to bring up to him.

I‘m willing to do it but thought I’d offer any of you the opportunity to make the call so I’m not hogging all the fun stuff for myself. If no takers, I’ll smile & dial into next week’s show.
Billy has to worry more about people like you strapping some kind of explosive to the ignition of his car.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Closest I came was throwing my visor at Zook during Lsu 2004 and then kindly explaining to Grantham that I didn’t care for him during Lsu 2020.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Let's get real here. The only reason Dabo accomplished what he did was because Clown College :nole: and The University of Florida were down at the same time. To his credit, he took advantage of that. But, the Clowns and us are recruiting again. The players who used to go to Clemson now stay in state. Their time is over.If he wants to win he'll need to go elsewhere. We will probably be hiring after next season.
They are trending down not bc of us or fsu but bc of Georgia's surge. Most all the players that were going to Clemson are now going to Georgia. But your general point is correct.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The caller and his comments aren't the point. His response is. For 11 mil a year fans should be able to say whatever they want, but for that same 11 mil a year a coach needs to maintain a modicum of professionalism and maturity. Dabo is a thin skinned little btch. The correct response would be to laugh and move on to the next caller, or like MJ said, "look at my trophy case. End of discussion."

Dabos response shows the fan totally got to him, and that only happens when deep down someone knows there's an element of truth to what was said to them.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Dabos response shows the fan totally got to him, and that only happens when deep down someone knows there's an element of truth to what was said to them.
Shows how much Dabo really cares about losing. He's pissed off about it and doesn't want to hear about it from B.S. fans.

TBH, I didn't watch the video, just read the transcript. I couldn't sit through that annoying fan's whining. We'd kill for Clemson's record during the past decade right now.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo should have added that he earns 11 million dollars to make hard decisions and decisions that help the team be successful. Dabo fired his buddy who was OC which allowed him to have 10 win seasons ever since. (Can't recall the guys name)

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Venables going to Oklahoma probably has not helped Dabo either.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
you sure you read the right script? I read it too, and it was about 5 minutes of the most incessant thin skinned facepalm worthy immaturity ive ever seen. one of the most embarrassing monologues in cfb history. if he was half the man he claims to be he'd have just laughed it off and moved on to the next caller.

here's what was said:

Caller: "You make $11.5 million a year. That's second in college football, if I'm not mistaken. I'm curious why that salary has led to 4-4 record. And I know we're going to talk about just being a couple plays away from undefeated and all that. And I know you're a man of religion, I'm a big fan, coach. Before you categorize me as being in the 1.5 percent, I was going to Clemson games and my entire family, going back generations has been going to Clemson games when you're in commercial real estate. So I'm not going to accept being and that 1.5 percent.. And I respect the fact that you're a man of faith… I’m curious if you've ever read Proverbs 16:18, which talks about pride come for the fall. I was in the military and I was overseas for the big run. And so I couldn't watch all the games had tried my best and but I always watched press conferences, just for life advice and I appreciated all that. Something changed after 2018. You're humble, you're hungry and everything, and I always told people, ‘Man Dabo, but listen to his press conferences.’ But after that 2018 National Title, something changed. And there seems to be a lot of arrogance that came in. There was a lot of friends and family. Three of the 10 on-the-field football coaches are external, experienced hires. Everyone else is an internal hire that had no experience before, or was a former player or friend.

"So I'm curious, why are we paying you $11.5 million to go 4-4 for and it's not just this year? It's been it's been, you know, just the refusal to accept….

Dumbo:
"Hey Tyler, I've listened to enough of you. You can have all your opinions that you want. I don't know how old you are. Don't really care. But let me tell you something - We won 11 games last year. And you’re part of the problem, to be honest with you, because that is part of the problem. It's people like you that - all you do - the expectation is greater than the appreciation. And that's the problem.

“And so, you know, we've won 12 (games) 10 plus win seasons in a row. That's happened three times in 150 years. So if you want to know why? Clemson aint sniffed a national championship for 35 years. We've won two in seven years. And there's only two other teams that can say that: Georgia and Alabama. Okay?

"Is this a bad year? Yeah. And that's my responsibility. Take 100 percent responsibility for it. But all this bull crap, you're thinking, all these narratives you read. Listen, man, you can have your opinion you want. And you can apply for the job. And good luck to you.

“Alright, but to answer your question. Alright, we're second in draft picks. We've graduated 98 percent of our guys. We’re second in wins, alright. If you want to know why? Again I'm telling you, we're not perfect. There's a lot of teams — Frank Howard never had a bad year? Coach (Danny) Ford never had a bad year? Nobody? Coach K never had a bad year in basketball? People have a bad year.

“But the part of the problem is the appreciation. I used to tell people all the time. They’d say, ‘What's the difference in Clemson?’ Let me tell you. At some places, there's an expectation but at Clemson there's an appreciation. And what's happened at Clemson is we've won so much that even when we used to beat the fun in the winning, now even when you win, people like you, complain, and criticize the coaches, and question everything. People like you. When I hired Tony Elliott, to be the offensive coordinator, who never called a play in his life. I'm sure you were critical then. Alright, and he took us to two national championships. People like you, who just love to destroy people with your comments. Alright. I'm sure you've never made any bad decisions. I'm sure you've lived a perfect life. I'm sure you've led a bunch of people. I'm sure you do your job."

“And so to answer your question, I started as the lowest-paid coach in this frickin’ business. Alright, and I'm where I am because I've worked my ass off, every single day. And I ain't gotta let some smartass kid get on this phone and create this stuff.

“So if you got a problem with it, I don't care! Alright. I work for the Board of Trustees, the President, and the AD. And if they're tired of me leading this program, all they gotta do is let me know. I'll go somewhere else. Where there is an appreciation. Alright. It's not just winning. It's how you win. And we are in a bit — this is a tough year. But we've had 12, 12! 10-plus win seasons in a row. 12! We lost to Tennessee last year, they won 11 games for the first time in like 20 years, we've had eight 11-win seasons in whatever, 11 years or whatever. We've won two national championships. Clemson went 35 years (without a National Championship). Alright, probably since before you were born. Your whole freakin’ life. And we won two in seven years. And we earned it. And we beat the best of the best to do it. The best of the best!

“12 10-plus win seasons. So if you want to want that's why. Am I perfect? No. I'm far from it. And I am a man of faith. Absolutely. Alright. I'm 53 years old. And there ain't one thing in my life - I have been a part of failure many times. But there ain't one thing in my life that I've ever failed at, TYLER! Never. Alright. Ever.

“I wanted to get an education. I got two degrees. I wanted to be the first college graduate in my family. I did it. I wanted to go play football at Alabama. I earned a scholarship. Lettered three years, worked my ass off. Won a national championship. I wanted to get into coaching. I worked my way to being a head coach. And when I got this job, and I'm sure you didn't want me to get this job, alright, and 15 years later, I'm still here. And I'd say the results are what they are and I stand on them.

“So you don't ever have to call back! I wanted to get married. I've been married for going on 30 years. I wanted to be a father. I’ve raised three great sons. If you don't like how I run the program, don't be a fan. I don't care. But I'm the head coach and I'm going to do what I believe is right for the long term of this program. What's best for the players and what I think's best for the moment. If you've got a problem with that, that's fine. I'm not gonna see you sit here and let you call. I don't give a crap how much money I make. You ain't gonna talk to me like I'm 12 years old. Got to be freakin' kidding me."

Thanks for posting. I don’t mind his rant one bit. I’ll add to it that he did all this in South Carolina. He has all the same conststraints and challenges that SC has except he’s in an easier conference. And, Danny Ford got them in trouble. He’s been nothing short of excellent, and has earned his compensation relative to the other coaches in the country.

One thing the last 15 years has taught me is to really appreciate the championships that we have won. I sure enjoyed them at the time, but it is so very hard to get there, and even harder to stay there.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo sounded like a thin-skinned "biotch"!

The "Fan" sounded like he should be posting here..... I did like his comment, "why are we paying you 11+ million for 4/4 record? Factual and relevant.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I wonder how much, if anything, that fan contributes to the program. Seems to me that if he were a booster and/or season-ticket holder he would have said so when listing his history as a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator