Dabo Swinney rips call-in fan on the air

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
why are "we" paying you? Im sure that fan aint paying shttt. We love you until you lose too many games. Now we hate you cause now you are an idiot and cannot coach/recruit/scheme, calll plays, etc etc. The fan had the right to be an ******* and do did Dabo. You want him to sit there and take it/ Fckk that. Or roll over and agree and say he would send some money back. Its all bllshtt anyway. Fodder for football forums. Clemson fans got spoiled like our fan base. Happens often.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I understand the fan's sentiment, he's frustrated. We on this board share that. But he didn't ask a football question and mostly made it personal and whiney. Paraphrasing, "you're a Christian and we pay you $11 million, been a fan all my life, served our country, I deserve better."

Dabo's response is indicative of a) his thin skin and b) coaches making millions are not used to being questioned.

I don't want to see someone get personal with Billy in a presser, but I'd make day to listen to someone ask why we keep throwing short of the first down sticks. "Coach Napier, don't the analytics at some point indicate that we should throw some passes beyond the first down marker?"

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Let's get real here. The only reason Dabo accomplished what he did was because Clown College :nole: and The University of Florida were down at the same time. To his credit, he took advantage of that. But, the Clowns and us are recruiting again. The players who used to go to Clemson now stay in state. Their time is over.If he wants to win he'll need to go elsewhere. We will probably be hiring after next season.

Dabo wouldn’t survive this pressure cooker :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder how much, if anything, that fan contributes to the program. Seems to me that if he were a booster and/or season-ticket holder he would have said so when listing his history as a fan.
its irrelevant. dabo is paid 11 mil a year for, amongst other things, maintaining a level of decorum when getting trolled by callers on a weekly radio show. dont want to get trolled for losing, dont lose. easier said than done, but for 11 mil a year he has no room for excuses or whining about "bad fans"

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Dabo, just should have asked that fan "How many Natty's have you won?"

Spurrier left Florida for basically the same reason. Said fans were too spoiled.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Perhaps the anger & ire of fans should be directed to the administrations who agree to pay these ridiculous salaries and don't require better levels of performance with a monetary penalty for failure to meet those benchmarks. A sign of our times I'm afraid. Fan frustration over a team's failure to maintain or improve performance is an expectation that is reasonable. I've only followed our Gators since 1962 so I get emotionally invested. I still have hope we get better.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo should of just laughed at the guy and accuse him of being a rival fan trolling. Hell, maybe that's what that idiot was.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if I'd call that a nuclear response. Though he did throw in "I'm 53 years old" and we know how that goes :lol:

He gave that caller the time of day though, and probably shouldn't have, but I thought it was pretty controlled.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
All I heard was a whining, overpaid coach get angry because his gargantuan income was questioned by someone that presumably likes Clemson and sees a downward trajectory in the program. There was no "we want you to know we are well aware, we care, we are on it, we are evaluating non-stop to correct and re-establish the success we enjoyed, we are going to do everything possible to keep Clemson, the program we all love, in contention for titles".

And in the back of that coach's mind, and of all the fans, he has a golden parachute worth probably tens of millions. Surprised so many are coming to Dabo's rescue. Is he pulling a sMullenz on Clemson?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
its irrelevant. dabo is paid 11 mil a year for, amongst other things, maintaining a level of decorum when getting trolled by callers on a weekly radio show. dont want to get trolled for losing, dont lose. easier said than done, but for 11 mil a year he has no room for excuses or whining about "bad fans"
I think it does matter. If he’s not paying a dime of that $11 mil, he doesn’t have standing to throw that in Dabo’s face along with his faith, hiring decisions, etc.

I get what you’re saying about how he responded. He should rise above it. And the guy wasn’t criticizing 6-2. On the other hand, it wasn’t coach speak. Saban has made some of the same points with the same tone, although not at 4-4.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know where you found that but , Dayuummm, That was funny.
I love that, and I've always loved the way Spurrier goes about his business.
He's one of a kind and a treasure to CFB.

Thanks for posting that!
Love it!!!
James Bates did a series of these shorts based on time spent with SOS under the heading “Head Ball Coach Stories.” You can Google or look for them on YouTube. They are hilarious!

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The guy was just as pissed about most of those 10 win seasons as dabo was proud of them.
Once a fanbase experiences titles, it's all that makes most happy. Even Saban's seat gets warm after this year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All I heard was a whining, overpaid coach get angry because his gargantuan income was questioned by someone that presumably likes Clemson and sees a downward trajectory in the program. There was no "we want you to know we are well aware, we care, we are on it, we are evaluating non-stop to correct and re-establish the success we enjoyed, we are going to do everything possible to keep Clemson, the program we all love, in contention for titles".

And in the back of that coach's mind, and of all the fans, he has a golden parachute worth probably tens of millions. Surprised so many are coming to Dabo's rescue. Is he pulling a sMullenz on Clemson?
It was you on the phone, wasn't it? That guy was damn near exactly how I imagined you are.

And pulling a Mullen? Really? The dude brought titles and enormous sustained success to that program, by far the most successful coach in their history. Comparing him to Mullen is laughable.

Maybe you just hate coaches across the board.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
what gets me is how its always the phknn money when they are not doing well. Its not even real money. The program, TV, donations etc pay the salaries. I dont care what they make. Have you seen what NBA guys make now? Its not even believable. And that doesnt include outside money from commercials. Saban probably make WAY more than SOS did just on those dumazzz AFLAC ads. Winners and losers in college football. Gonna be 1 winner and the rest losers when its all over each year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator