Dabo Swinney rips call-in fan on the air

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i saw the transcript online earlier. someone is certainly thin skinned. i thought he was acting like a btch when he started trash talking SC after the fake spurrier quip, "at least we aint clemson." Figured he'd have learned his lesson by then. woops.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Read his comments on another site this morning.
Sounds alot like Spurrier did with fans complaining after a lot of success over 1 bad season.
Or not beating a team bad enough.

Fan calling him out over salary was gold.

Amusing to me on so many different levels.
Especially the " Gator fans are the worst" BS.

Sucess breeds the need for more success.
Once the fans taste success, they will except nothing more than sustained success.

In that way, Spurrier and Urbs, cursed Gator nation.
Some in here would rather go back to the nicer fan days, Pre SOS.
"wait til next year!"

Fuch That.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Read his comments on another site this morning.
Sounds alot like Spurrier did with fans complaining after a lot of success over 1 bad season.
Or not beating a team bad enough.

Fan calling him out over salary was gold.

Amusing to me on so many different levels.
Especially the " Gator fans are the worst" BS.

Sucess breeds the need for more success.
Once the fans taste success, they will except nothing more than sustained success.

In that way, Spurrier and Urbs, cursed Gator nation.
Some in here would rather go back to the nicer fan days, Pre SOS.
"wait til next year!"

Fuch That.
I can just imagine what the Alabama fan base will turn into in the post Saban years if they don't get that hire right.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I guess the Bama fans will look elsewhere to replace Saban.
I don't know.
Dabo may need a change of venue, so to speak. He did sound like if the board and the AD wanted to make a move he was fine with it. :lol2:

He may be refreshed at Bama, should Saban finally call it quits.
Better go undefeated his first season though. :lol2:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i dont remember spurrier ever embarrassing himself during a presser, or having thin skin for that matter. Spurrier simply stated that after a while 10 wins wasnt sufficient and when that happens, winning loses most of its joy.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody isn't handling the pressure of losing well.........

I still like Dabo

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
i dont remember spurrier ever embarrassing himself during a presser, or having thin skin for that matter. Spurrier simply stated that after a while 10 wins wasnt sufficient and when that happens, winning loses most of its joy.
I didn't watch the video above. Just read his comments.
Didn't come off as whining to me, but again, text.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ive always like Dabo. His name is worth 5 pts. He is as real as it gets. I dont think any dbag ever questioned SOS about his salary. They will name that stadium after Dabo one day. 90% of their success (probably more) is because of him. Danny Ford won the title for them because CHarlie Pell left them the talent for it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't watch the video above. Just read his comments.
Didn't come off as whining to me, but again, text.
you sure you read the right script? I read it too, and it was about 5 minutes of the most incessant thin skinned facepalm worthy immaturity ive ever seen. one of the most embarrassing monologues in cfb history. if he was half the man he claims to be he'd have just laughed it off and moved on to the next caller.

here's what was said:

Caller: "You make $11.5 million a year. That's second in college football, if I'm not mistaken. I'm curious why that salary has led to 4-4 record. And I know we're going to talk about just being a couple plays away from undefeated and all that. And I know you're a man of religion, I'm a big fan, coach. Before you categorize me as being in the 1.5 percent, I was going to Clemson games and my entire family, going back generations has been going to Clemson games when you're in commercial real estate. So I'm not going to accept being and that 1.5 percent.. And I respect the fact that you're a man of faith… I’m curious if you've ever read Proverbs 16:18, which talks about pride come for the fall. I was in the military and I was overseas for the big run. And so I couldn't watch all the games had tried my best and but I always watched press conferences, just for life advice and I appreciated all that. Something changed after 2018. You're humble, you're hungry and everything, and I always told people, ‘Man Dabo, but listen to his press conferences.’ But after that 2018 National Title, something changed. And there seems to be a lot of arrogance that came in. There was a lot of friends and family. Three of the 10 on-the-field football coaches are external, experienced hires. Everyone else is an internal hire that had no experience before, or was a former player or friend.

"So I'm curious, why are we paying you $11.5 million to go 4-4 for and it's not just this year? It's been it's been, you know, just the refusal to accept….

Dumbo:
"Hey Tyler, I've listened to enough of you. You can have all your opinions that you want. I don't know how old you are. Don't really care. But let me tell you something - We won 11 games last year. And you’re part of the problem, to be honest with you, because that is part of the problem. It's people like you that - all you do - the expectation is greater than the appreciation. And that's the problem.

“And so, you know, we've won 12 (games) 10 plus win seasons in a row. That's happened three times in 150 years. So if you want to know why? Clemson aint sniffed a national championship for 35 years. We've won two in seven years. And there's only two other teams that can say that: Georgia and Alabama. Okay?

"Is this a bad year? Yeah. And that's my responsibility. Take 100 percent responsibility for it. But all this bull crap, you're thinking, all these narratives you read. Listen, man, you can have your opinion you want. And you can apply for the job. And good luck to you.

“Alright, but to answer your question. Alright, we're second in draft picks. We've graduated 98 percent of our guys. We’re second in wins, alright. If you want to know why? Again I'm telling you, we're not perfect. There's a lot of teams — Frank Howard never had a bad year? Coach (Danny) Ford never had a bad year? Nobody? Coach K never had a bad year in basketball? People have a bad year.

“But the part of the problem is the appreciation. I used to tell people all the time. They’d say, ‘What's the difference in Clemson?’ Let me tell you. At some places, there's an expectation but at Clemson there's an appreciation. And what's happened at Clemson is we've won so much that even when we used to beat the fun in the winning, now even when you win, people like you, complain, and criticize the coaches, and question everything. People like you. When I hired Tony Elliott, to be the offensive coordinator, who never called a play in his life. I'm sure you were critical then. Alright, and he took us to two national championships. People like you, who just love to destroy people with your comments. Alright. I'm sure you've never made any bad decisions. I'm sure you've lived a perfect life. I'm sure you've led a bunch of people. I'm sure you do your job."

“And so to answer your question, I started as the lowest-paid coach in this frickin’ business. Alright, and I'm where I am because I've worked my ass off, every single day. And I ain't gotta let some smartass kid get on this phone and create this stuff.

“So if you got a problem with it, I don't care! Alright. I work for the Board of Trustees, the President, and the AD. And if they're tired of me leading this program, all they gotta do is let me know. I'll go somewhere else. Where there is an appreciation. Alright. It's not just winning. It's how you win. And we are in a bit — this is a tough year. But we've had 12, 12! 10-plus win seasons in a row. 12! We lost to Tennessee last year, they won 11 games for the first time in like 20 years, we've had eight 11-win seasons in whatever, 11 years or whatever. We've won two national championships. Clemson went 35 years (without a National Championship). Alright, probably since before you were born. Your whole freakin’ life. And we won two in seven years. And we earned it. And we beat the best of the best to do it. The best of the best!

“12 10-plus win seasons. So if you want to want that's why. Am I perfect? No. I'm far from it. And I am a man of faith. Absolutely. Alright. I'm 53 years old. And there ain't one thing in my life - I have been a part of failure many times. But there ain't one thing in my life that I've ever failed at, TYLER! Never. Alright. Ever.

“I wanted to get an education. I got two degrees. I wanted to be the first college graduate in my family. I did it. I wanted to go play football at Alabama. I earned a scholarship. Lettered three years, worked my ass off. Won a national championship. I wanted to get into coaching. I worked my way to being a head coach. And when I got this job, and I'm sure you didn't want me to get this job, alright, and 15 years later, I'm still here. And I'd say the results are what they are and I stand on them.

“So you don't ever have to call back! I wanted to get married. I've been married for going on 30 years. I wanted to be a father. I’ve raised three great sons. If you don't like how I run the program, don't be a fan. I don't care. But I'm the head coach and I'm going to do what I believe is right for the long term of this program. What's best for the players and what I think's best for the moment. If you've got a problem with that, that's fine. I'm not gonna see you sit here and let you call. I don't give a crap how much money I make. You ain't gonna talk to me like I'm 12 years old. Got to be freakin' kidding me."

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
for someone who keeps saying they dont care, it sure seems the opposite. I also laughed at his final comments about being talking to like he's 12 since he was the only one doing that. like or believe the caller or not, he said he was a fan, respected him and was in OIF, so he aint some kid even tho yaba daba kept referring to him as such.

dabo reminds me a lot of jimbo once the snake oil was running low. a thin skinned btch.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Somebody isn't handling the pressure of losing well.........

I still like Dabo
Poor fucher, all that experience and doesn't know "we look at everything" and "we're getting better and better".

If you look at their recent playoff teams, their immediate recruiting classes prior were very good. Fans that listen to call in shows also follow recruiting, and sometimes, believe their own lying eyes. Those fans probably realize Clemson has recruited "well" past two cycles, but not the high level that gave them play makers. Meanwhile, their biggest conference obstacle, is recruiting extremely well and beat them. Though they have room to finish higher, their current class is ranked 16th. Most of us saw a trend with Mullen, similar trajectories in key areas. If I were this fan, I would have some level of concern.

Dabo makes $11 million?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
you sure you read the right script? I read it too, and it was about 5 minutes of the most incessant thin skinned facepalm worthy immaturity ive ever seen. one of the most embarrassing monologues in cfb history. if he was half the man he claims to be he'd have just laughed it off and moved on to the next caller.

here's what was said:

Caller: "You make $11.5 million a year. That's second in college football, if I'm not mistaken. I'm curious why that salary has led to 4-4 record. And I know we're going to talk about just being a couple plays away from undefeated and all that. And I know you're a man of religion, I'm a big fan, coach. Before you categorize me as being in the 1.5 percent, I was going to Clemson games and my entire family, going back generations has been going to Clemson games when you're in commercial real estate. So I'm not going to accept being and that 1.5 percent.. And I respect the fact that you're a man of faith… I’m curious if you've ever read Proverbs 16:18, which talks about pride come for the fall. I was in the military and I was overseas for the big run. And so I couldn't watch all the games had tried my best and but I always watched press conferences, just for life advice and I appreciated all that. Something changed after 2018. You're humble, you're hungry and everything, and I always told people, ‘Man Dabo, but listen to his press conferences.’ But after that 2018 National Title, something changed. And there seems to be a lot of arrogance that came in. There was a lot of friends and family. Three of the 10 on-the-field football coaches are external, experienced hires. Everyone else is an internal hire that had no experience before, or was a former player or friend.

"So I'm curious, why are we paying you $11.5 million to go 4-4 for and it's not just this year? It's been it's been, you know, just the refusal to accept….

Dumbo:
"Hey Tyler, I've listened to enough of you. You can have all your opinions that you want. I don't know how old you are. Don't really care. But let me tell you something - We won 11 games last year. And you’re part of the problem, to be honest with you, because that is part of the problem. It's people like you that - all you do - the expectation is greater than the appreciation. And that's the problem.

“And so, you know, we've won 12 (games) 10 plus win seasons in a row. That's happened three times in 150 years. So if you want to know why? Clemson aint sniffed a national championship for 35 years. We've won two in seven years. And there's only two other teams that can say that: Georgia and Alabama. Okay?

"Is this a bad year? Yeah. And that's my responsibility. Take 100 percent responsibility for it. But all this bull crap, you're thinking, all these narratives you read. Listen, man, you can have your opinion you want. And you can apply for the job. And good luck to you.

“Alright, but to answer your question. Alright, we're second in draft picks. We've graduated 98 percent of our guys. We’re second in wins, alright. If you want to know why? Again I'm telling you, we're not perfect. There's a lot of teams — Frank Howard never had a bad year? Coach (Danny) Ford never had a bad year? Nobody? Coach K never had a bad year in basketball? People have a bad year. or wins or beating some bad team by more than

“But the part of the problem is the appreciation. I used to tell people all the time. They’d say, ‘What's the difference in Clemson?’ Let me tell you. At some places, there's an expectation but at Clemson there's an appreciation. And what's happened at Clemson is we've won so much that even when we used to beat the fun in the winning, now even when you win, people like you, complain, and criticize the coaches, and question everything. People like you. When I hired Tony Elliott, to be the offensive coordinator, who never called a play in his life. I'm sure you were critical then. Alright, and he took us to two national championships. People like you, who just love to destroy people with your comments. Alright. I'm sure you've never made any bad decisions. I'm sure you've lived a perfect life. I'm sure you've led a bunch of people. I'm sure you do your job."

“And so to answer your question, I started as the lowest-paid coach in this frickin’ business. Alright, and I'm where I am because I've worked my ass off, every single day. And I ain't gotta let some smartass kid get on this phone and create this stuff.

“So if you got a problem with it, I don't care! Alright. I work for the Board of Trustees, the President, and the AD. And if they're tired of me leading this program, all they gotta do is let me know. I'll go somewhere else. Where there is an appreciation. Alright. It's not just winning. It's how you win. And we are in a bit — this is a tough year. But we've had 12, 12! 10-plus win seasons in a row. 12! We lost to Tennessee last year, they won 11 games for the first time in like 20 years, we've had eight 11-win seasons in whatever, 11 years or whatever. We've won two national championships. Clemson went 35 years (without a National Championship). Alright, probably since before you were born. Your whole freakin’ life. And we won two in seven years. And we earned it. And we beat the best of the best to do it. The best of the best!

“12 10-plus win seasons. So if you want to want that's why. Am I perfect? No. I'm far from it. And I am a man of faith. Absolutely. Alright. I'm 53 years old. And there ain't one thing in my life - I have been a part of failure many times. But there ain't one thing in my life that I've ever failed at, TYLER! Never. Alright. Ever.

“I wanted to get an education. I got two degrees. I wanted to be the first college graduate in my family. I did it. I wanted to go play football at Alabama. I earned a scholarship. Lettered three years, worked my ass off. Won a national championship. I wanted to get into coaching. I worked my way to being a head coach. And when I got this job, and I'm sure you didn't want me to get this job, alright, and 15 years later, I'm still here. And I'd say the results are what they are and I stand on them.

“So you don't ever have to call back! I wanted to get married. I've been married for going on 30 years. I wanted to be a father. I’ve raised three great sons. If you don't like how I run the program, don't be a fan. I don't care. But I'm the head coach and I'm going to do what I believe is right for the long term of this program. What's best for the players and what I think's best for the moment. If you've got a problem with that, that's fine. I'm not gonna see you sit here and let you call. I don't give a crap how much money I make. You ain't gonna talk to me like I'm 12 years old. Got to be freakin' kidding me."
Yeah, I read it.
I guess I don't get the same vibe as you do.
Yes, He sounds more like Mike Gundy than Steve Spurrier. :lol2:
I was trying to make the comparisomes about Spurs and his comments on the fans not being satisfied. with 9 or 10 wins and a bowl game.
Also, you will never convince me that Spurrier left just because of the NFL Calling.
He was pissed off about the lack of support from UF on the Ernest Graham/DD knee twist and, the fans not appreciating what he had done at UF.

Seems to me the Clemson fan just touched a nerve, he was pissed off and trying to not say something completely over the top.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
We talked about this before (in the James Franklin thread maybe?) but going after critical fans and reporters seems to be thing now among a lot of CFB coaches. And while I get that these guys are under a tremendous amount of pressure, some of it self induced, in this case @Durty South Swamp is right: it is facepalm worthy. Given his amount of success, I would actually expect better from Dabo. For $11M per, I assure you - and if I had two Natty's in my back pocket - I could take a lot of grief from fans and reporters. Hell, I could do it for half that amount!

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Dabo said, "the expectation is greater than the appreciation."

I like that. Pretty much sums up what happens to every college football program after it experiences major, sustained success. Fans go from just being happy that they won the game to being disappointed by how they won the game, wringing their hands with the fear that the team will "just" win 10 games but not really be competing for anything of significance anymore. If Dabo wants to coach at a place where the appreciation will exceed expectations, he should try to take the job at Kentucky or Duke if/when they open up.

With Gators fans, the expectations of playing for and winning championships carried over from the Spurrier and Meyer eras to Muschump, Butters and Dorky Dan. In Penn State's case, the fans have reached that crescendo with James Franklin after numerous 10 win seasons and (I think) one Big 10 title to show for it, and in a year they didn't make the playoffs.

Dabo's short term mistake was putting Clemson on a pedestal and thinking their fan base was somehow different than the rest of the fan bases in college football. It is not. Dabo's long term mistake might be not finally embracing the portal as a means to pilfer top players from other teams who just want a chance to win.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Butters or Mullen never had to take a call like that and they deserved EVERY call to be like that. For the record Spurrier called out the entitled fans in his farewell news conference. He also said the pressure wasn't beating Georgia or Tennessee. The pressure was winning every single game you are supposed to win.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Let's get real here. The only reason Dabo accomplished what he did was because Clown College :nole: and The University of Florida were down at the same time. To his credit, he took advantage of that. But, the Clowns and us are recruiting again. The players who used to go to Clemson now stay in state. Their time is over.If he wants to win he'll need to go elsewhere. We will probably be hiring after next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.