DFS Suspended Indefinitely

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Florida was without its top two scorers on Wednesday night vs. Vanderbilt, with forward Dorian Finney-Smith joining Michael Frazier II (high-ankle sprain) on the inactive list after being suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules. The suspension is the second of Finney-Smiths' career. He served a three-game suspension to begin the 2013-14 season.
He will remain suspended on Saturday against LSU, with coach Billy Donovan set to re-evaluate his status with the team on Monday.

Finney-Smith's suspension stems from decisions that showed a lack of commitment to the team. Donovan went into detail about that lack of commitment, though he didn't clarify what Finney-Smith's offense was.

"I think it has been a microcosm of this season with our team in what I would say is a lack of commitment and a lack of consistency of what really goes into winning," Donovan said.

"One of the questions that comes to my mind this year is can you force someone to be committed? And thinking about it, commitment is one of the most difficult things in life. To commit your heart, mind, soul, body, everything means something. I think that really is very, very difficult to do. I believe it's the only way you can be successful.

"Dorian's decisions represent a lack of commitment."

Finney-Smith was averaging 12.9 points per game. He was the team's leading rebounder at 5.8 per game.
After snapping a four-game skid against Vanderbilt on Wednesday, Florida will be looking to get back above .500 on the season (13-13) on Saturday against LSU. But they'll have to do so without Finney-Smith and Frazier, who will be out again due to injury.

I'm going to hold Billy to the bolded quote above when he announces his resignation to go to a better program.[/quote]

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n179957 said:

I'm going to hold Billy to the bolded quote above when he announces his resignation to go to a better program.
[/QUOTE]

I would think that Billy could say the same thing about the vast majority of Gator fans when it comes to basketball. If the Gatornation was half as committed as Billy, we would have a real program that could sustain itself after he left.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
It's a sad day across Gatorchatter when Chris Weinke's job elicits more comments than the suspension of probably our best basketball player.

Regarding DFS - the losing (especially when expected to be a top team; I can go to back to my preseason poll if needed) wears more on the players than the fans. We fans can just turn off our TVs or not show up to the games; the players are expected to put forth 100% effort in both practice and games (win or lose).

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect, and it sure looks like, we have a bunch of players who would like to play a different style. Instead of learning the system and playing their roles, they are trying to force a change. Not gonna happen boys...better get with the program. And DFS can be done as far as I am concerned...get the younger guys some PT.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n179972 said:
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I would think that Billy could say the same thing about the vast majority of Gator fans when it comes to basketball. If the Gatornation was half as committed as Billy, we would have a real program that could sustain itself after he left.[/QUOTE]

Well we do have a real program and if he retired we would find another coach to continue. Now that we have the SEC network I watch every game even when it is frustrating.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I don't understand this. This year's team saw Wilbekin, Prather, Young, and Yeguette bust their butts for 4 years and totally buy into what Billy D was preaching. Those guys had hurdles to jump and they did and accomplished things we didn't think they could do. So what do the current guys do? Get suspended when things don't go their way or maybe stop trying. Who knows? But this is the third guy to get suspended this year. Seems like a lot of batching and moaning going on. These guys need to get their head straight, but its too late. Next year will be growing pains as well unless someone matures into a leader. And I'd be surprised if BD leaves now. Going out like this? I don't think that would sit well with him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What determines Donovan's leaving mostly will be the tempting offer. Having this season's team exerts zero
staying power.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Man, the wheels have come off. Billy is a damn great coach. Next year will be different.

Seasons like this make you appreciate the other ones in both sports.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's coming next year to make us good next year ? Ebugnu ? What else ? We got worries in basketball like never before.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n180205 said:
What's coming next year to make us good next year ? Ebugnu ? What else ? We got worries in basketball like never before.

Like never before? Damn, Rog, I know you're old enough to remember the bad old days of Don Devoe. All kidding aside, we're not that far off. With an inside presence, this team is probably sitting at 20-6 right now despite the injuries and suspensions.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Egbunu looks like the real deal. Hopefully Brandone Francis is in good standing and I am hoping Murphy, Robinson, Chiozza, and Hill become much improved. And also hope we see a Carter improvement like we saw with Rosario. The 4 frosh (hopefully 4) coming in look strong. If DFS and MF2 come back with their heads on straight the team should be much improved.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Knowing the area he's from (Tidewater area of Virginia), it's not even a little bit surprising that he has attitude issues. This is the same area that has produced guys like Iverson, the Vicks, Plaxico, and Harvin.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People forget how awkward Young, Wilbekin, and Prather were their first two years. But they had better upper classmen to lean on. I think the loss of Demontre Harris was the biggest factor setting this group back. The lack of paint presence has made it really tough on DFS and MF2. This team could be good again quickly, and it will be.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to hold Billy to the bolded quote above when he announces his resignation to go to a better program.[/quote]

Only place BD would be going is the NBA.

Also we will be much improved next year. We could potentially have two of our best players on the bench right now (Egbunu and Francis)

​For as bad as we have looked this year, we've been in every game pretty much but have lacked the experience to win in crunch time....this will change next year.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gatorphan;n180214 said:
People forget how awkward Young, Wilbekin, and Prather were their first two years. But they had better upper classmen to lean on. I think the loss of Demontre Harris was the biggest factor setting this group back. The lack of paint presence has made it really tough on DFS and MF2. This team could be good again quickly, and it will be.
Excellent points........it is never black and white. This year has taken a toll and far from loser DFS has been the man in most games,......BD even says he is a great kid and this is why he is
being tough with him.
team saw Wilbekin, Prather, Young, and Yeguette bust their butts for 4 years and totally buy into what Billy D was preaching. Those guys had hurdles to jump and they did and accomplished things we didn't think they could do. So what do the current guys do? Get suspended when things don't go their way or maybe stop trying
TO be fair Scotty was in the doghouse and suspended more than once, In fact before last year BD told him to straighten up or transfer.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
stephenPE;n180242 said:
TO be fair Scotty was in the doghouse and suspended more than once, In fact before last year BD told him to straighten up or transfer.

Very true, but he finally believed in what Billy D was preaching. He bought in. Prather was a bench rider for 3 years and all of a sudden he became a player we all hoped. He bought in. Young bought in to what Billy D thought and knew he could be, and not what everyone else wanted him to be. Yeguette had so many injuries he could have easily given up, but he bought in.

The guys on the current team had 4 guys who were amazing examples of what buying in can do. They obviously didn't pay close enough attention.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They did and the Prather thing was amazing all year. But he disappeared in that last game. wierd.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n180209 said:
Egbunu looks like the real deal. Hopefully Brandone Francis is in good standing and I am hoping Murphy, Robinson, Chiozza, and Hill become much improved. And also hope we see a Carter improvement like we saw with Rosario. The 4 frosh (hopefully 4) coming in look strong. If DFS and MF2 come back with their heads on straight the team should be much improved.

Remember that someone besides walker has to leave or not qualify unless one of these guys has an academic scholarship up their sleeve.

I saw an article that said Francis has been cleared to practice with the team so it looks like he will qualify next year.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Bernardo de la Paz;n180251 said:
Remember that someone besides walker has to leave or not qualify unless one of these guys has an academic scholarship up their sleeve.

I saw an article that said Francis has been cleared to practice with the team so it looks like he will qualify next year.

It's either several guys leave early, or the 2 commits who haven't signed yet are not coming to UF. And, losing 2 commits concerns me.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe this will light a fire under the team so they will play better. Help build something for next year now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator