Dinner time

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
EE0323AE-7041-4C9B-B8F9-E6335459F615.jpeg

Mom had a recipe for cranberry pork that was really good. It works well together but sounds ick. I couldn’t find her recipe so I did what I remembered. It must have required two cans of cranberry and not one. Had to doctor it up after it was finished. Not quite as good as mom’s but tasty.

Son dug up the potatoes from the garden today. I used the ones he sliced with the shovel for mashed potatoes.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks to our son for existing and going to school, we are eating steak for dinner. The county refilled EBT cards with $350 for EVERY student.

Smashed the potatoes with a glass after microwaving them and sprayed with olive oil and Lowry’s seasoning - broiled until crispy.

7D14FCDB-6671-47FC-927C-D046B1E41A87.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks to our son for existing and going to school, we are eating steak for dinner. The county refilled EBT cards with $350 for EVERY student.

Smashed the potatoes with a glass after microwaving them and sprayed with olive oil and Lowry’s seasoning - broiled until crispy.

View attachment 49708

Looks great. But if you’re going to use your EBT card to buy dinner, the least you can do is include a pic of the Fanta.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fanta, like the soda pop ?
Ironically the kids tried it for the first time this weekend.

Yeah that was just an EBT joke that fell flat. We too received one a few years ago from the school board. I contemplated Bugles and a neck tat, but I think we ended up just buying some stuff at Trader Joe’s.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah that was just an EBT joke that fell flat. We too received one a few years ago from the school board. I contemplated Bugles and a neck tat, but I think we ended up just buying some stuff at Trader Joe’s.
Sorry.

Son wanted to have a party last weekend with friends so we bought the cokes, chips and candy with the EBT card. Apparently if it’s food, you can use the card.

How’s home school going?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Mrs G and I celebrated 30 years today and made a party of the whole weekend. Friday was dinner out at our favorite local seafood joint. Saturday was of course all about CFB, so we pretty much just noshed on whatever was the in the pantry and fridge while watching Jimbo and his former school both lose in gut wrenching, heartbreaking fashion ( :yes: ).

So cooking in earnest restarted last night. We started with an app of shrimp scampi (and a nice Cali sparkler from Scharffenberger):
1665456536535.jpeg
Then it was on to the main course or primi piatti (that was for you @soflagator ) of a chicken and wild mushroom risotto with broiled asparagus on the side. I grilled chicken thighs on indirect heat on the egg with mesquite added to the coals. It definitely added a nice smokiness to the dish:

1665456828521.jpeg

If anyone’s curious, the wine is a Brunello di Montalcino from Caparzo. Ended up being a great accompaniment.

Tonight, the actual anniversary, was kind of an old school fancy dish. (Last time I made it was before the kids were born and they are now seniors in college!) Beef Wellington with a stovetop potato galette and peas. The beef recipe led me to make a lot more potted mushrooms than necessary so as an app we ate the excess on water crackers along with smoked salmon topped with sour cream and fresh dill. (And killed the remaining sparkling wine from Sunday.)
1665457359386.jpeg

Dinner:
1665457399301.jpeg

The wine was a Russian River Pinot from Amici, which I highly recommend. Inside the puff pastry looked like this.
1665457497446.jpeg

Attachments

• 1665456770293.jpeg
    1665456770293.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 2

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah page 146 beings to @Gator By Marriage . Congrats to you and your wife on the 30. That’s awesome.
True
My post,# 2904, looks like pigs fodder in comparison. Maybe if I’d opened a bottle of wine and we stuck our pinkies out we could have been an appetizer to his feast!

Take note @Seedy you better start planning our 30th anniversary meal now! GBM served mushrooms though and that’s the day you leave me. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sorry.

Son wanted to have a party last weekend with friends so we bought the cokes, chips and candy with the EBT card. Apparently if it’s food, you can use the card.

How’s home school going?

Yeah, the whole excuse of not having access to healthy foods is just that I learned. We used it at TJs and Whole Foods. Works on fruit just as well as on chips.

First half of homeschooling has been ups and downs. My wife is still doing some work, and they’re doing tennis, soccer, golf and equestrian after school programs. So we’re juggling a lot and running all over. Should calm down in December when she steps away. But overall I’ve loved spending the extra time with them, so that’s been great.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah, the whole excuse of not having access to healthy foods is just that I learned. We used it at TJs and Whole Foods. Works on fruit just as well as on chips.

First half of homeschooling has been ups and downs. My wife is still doing some work, and they’re doing tennis, soccer, golf and equestrian after school programs. So we’re juggling a lot and running all over. Should calm down in December when she steps away. But overall I’ve loved spending the extra time with them, so that’s been great.
I’m really glad it’s working out for your family. Sounds like it will be for the best even though there are struggles. Wished we’d known better 10 years ago.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
GBM served mushrooms though and that’s the day you leave me. :lol:
What do you have against mushrooms?? I have eggs scrambled with mushrooms and japapeno peppers a lot for breakfast. Breakfast of Champions. :fistbump:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
True
My post,# 2904, looks like pigs fodder in comparison. Maybe if I’d opened a bottle of wine and we stuck our pinkies out we could have been an appetizer to his feast!

Take note @Seedy you better start planning our 30th anniversary meal now! GBM served mushrooms though and that’s the day you leave me. :lol:
I always adjust to errbody's tastes. The Mrs and I both love shrooms, so it was shroom heavy. I love cheeses, but she has become somewhat lactose intolerant as she has gotten older, so I use it a lot less than I once did (though there is a pill she can take which eliminates the discomfort). Later this month, my daughter will be home on fall break and since her college seems to serve chicken at every other meal, I'll skip making any yard bird dishes since she's sick of it.

Not gonna lie, I'm exhausted. Ms G noticed last night and volunteered to cook the next few dinners!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What do you have against mushrooms?? I have eggs scrambled with mushrooms and japapeno peppers a lot for breakfast. Breakfast of Champions. :fistbump:
Let’s just say that Seedy would never have breakfast with you. He won’t even pick out the mushrooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.