Eff him: Butters getting hired as head coach of Central Michigan

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"It was a bad situation". What an *******!

"It was a bad situation."

He's apparenrly alluding to the alleged death threats. Face grows animated, voice pitch rises. You can almost see sweat stains begin to form in the armpits of his JC Penney's suit.

"There were a lot of things that went into it."

He's in full backpedal now. He's trying to color the situation as complicated, many moving parts, hard to explain, a desperate attempt at obfuscation out of fear the next question is going to be, why in the hell, asswipe, didn't you report it to the University?

"Do I maybe wish I would have gone and (sic) seeked out some advice?"

His hands are raised. You can frisk me now, he's thinking. I done effed up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He'll do great there. They don't expect to win championships, so his lax style will fit in perfect. He's a player's coach & cares about his players. That'll be enough at a place like that. So long as he doesn't claim death threats again... :bananaburn:
I call bull****. If he cared about his players he would’ve tried to provide them with a S/C program and some coaching.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He cares about his wallet, nothing more. Those players certainly didn't feel he cared for them, as not one of them spoke up or gave a damn when he left.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Upon arrival, the Butters family seemed worried about the RV Housing Airstream ??
The Central Michigan team voted to have McElwain sit out a year. No such luck - S & C meditation starts tomorrow = ohmmm.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A little respect, please. Guy's a legend.

image.jpg
Damn I was gonna post that but I couldn't remember his name.
I even tried googling "f a g g o t FSU alum".

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
He cares about his wallet, nothing more. Those players certainly didn't feel he cared for them, as not one of them spoke up or gave a damn when he left.

To be fair, I think it is more complicated than that as implied by the details in the unnamed player interview you re-posted earlier. I think that he did care about at least some of the players on some level but he was utterly clueless as to how to support them or how to do the job in general. That is why he was so inconsistent in his handling of the team because he had no real plan. I think that's also why even the players that liked him didn't speak up for him because even they knew he was never going to be anything but a terrible coach. The unnamed player was very astute in his critique because he rightly pointed out that someone with Mac's unstable demeanor has no real ability to establish an identity with which to lead a team.

That said, I really feel for the CMU players and fans because they are likely in for a much longer version of the same unpleasant ride we went through given that their tolerance for his bizarre leadership style will likely extend much longer than ours did. Mac, to me, is another classic case of a guy serving as a head coach who continues to prove that some coaches are meant to be lifetime assistants.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Anyone else more surprised that CMU has a football message board (and with more than 4 posters) than their hiring Butters?

They do indeed! And looking through it I found this ironic set of quotes:

"CMUChippewa said... (original post)

Some telling thoughts from Jim:

The new CMU coach said he has met with the team and will begin to meet with individual players on Tuesday.

"They needed to learn how to sit up, they needed to learn how to focus," McElwain said. "And I think for them it was possibly a bit of an eye-opener."

McElwain also said there's a need for discipline with the current team, based on the film he has seen from this past season.

But the new coach also said that, from watching the team, "there are some parts here to win, in a hurry."

McElwain said he intends to reach out to Bonamego.

"This is gonna be a transition that's gonna be fast and furious, and yet we cannot cut corners," McElwain said. "If you build the program without the stable foundation, as fast as you rise, you may crumble."

He foreshadowed a physically demanding time coming up for the football team, as he emphasized the upcoming winter conditioning program, "which might scare some of these players away right now.""

"We want to find out who wants to be here," McElwain said. "We want to find out who's committed to being a Chippewa.

"

Bad flashback....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

The new CMU coach said he has met with the team and will begin to meet with individual players on Tuesday.

"They needed to learn how to sit up, they needed to learn how to focus," McElwain said. "And I think for them it was possibly a bit of an eye-opener."

McElwain also said there's a need for discipline with the current team, based on the film he has seen from this past season.

But the new coach also said that, from watching the team, "there are some parts here to win, in a hurry."

"This is gonna be a transition that's gonna be fast and furious, and yet we cannot cut corners," McElwain said. "If you build the program without the stable foundation, as fast as you rise, you may crumble."

He foreshadowed a physically demanding time coming up for the football team, as he emphasized the upcoming winter conditioning program, "which might scare some of these players away right now.""

"We want to find out who wants to be here," McElwain said. "We want to find out who's committed to being a Chippewa.

"

Bad flashback....

What an embarrassing interview. He ran exactly the opposite of the program he's describing here. He's got all of those idiots fooled.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

"

Bad flashback....

Average Chippewa household conversation...

Wife: “Honey, I saw we hired a new head coach. Whadya think, like him?”

Husband: “Yeah, babe. I do like the new coach. Seems to say all the right things. Like the passion...it’s just...”

Wife: “What?”

Husband: “Oh it’s nothing..”

Wife: “Tell me.”

Husband: “Well he has this weird habit where he keeps saying ‘and yet’...like every sentence...’and yet this, and yet that’...and he seemed like he was on the verge of crying at one point...it’s a little annoy...ehhh, I’m sure it’s fine. Fire up Chips, or whatever.”

Wife: “Yeah, what does that mean anyway? My whole life, I don’t know what that means.”

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
What an embarrassing interview. He ran exactly the opposite of the program he's describing here. He's got all of those idiots fooled.

Can't argue with that! The quote about the tough off-season was particularly ironic. Perhaps he is worried they will wilt under the pressure of his famed comfy pillow drill.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can't wait to see who the coaching staff he assembles. Del Rio the QB coach? Nord TE's, ST's. Nussmeier, OC. And it will be really surprising who he brings in at S&C. What a stupid comment. It is widely know, to most people who follow SEC football at least, that he had no S&C program. This guy is a clown and I cannot believe he landed a head coaching job again so quickly. The AD is full retard. He overlapped w/ him one year at Alabama and I'm guessing he wanted to bring in a Saban-tree coach and thinks he'll implement the "Bama model". They're in for a rude awakening.

Also notice in that interview how he said he watched film already. One thing Mullen said over and over was he never watched film from last year and wanted to start w/ a clean slate. Butters is already picking favorites among these kids.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ugh! :facepalm:

Listening to that same claptrap makes my ears bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.