Emmitt says Urbs should be in the Ring of Honor

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
:facepalm:

Smith in three seasons exceeds Rhett's output over four-plus if not for a knee injury in 1988 that kept him out of several games and limited his carries. As it were, he averaged 5.6 per carry to Rhett's 4.8.

Translated, if Smith carries the ball as many times, he ends his UF career with 4,897 yards -- 734 more than Rhett -- and in so doing Rhett takes only a few snaps in '90 while burning a year, which widens the margin even further.

You're whacked if you rate Errict Rhett above Emmitt Smith. The Bucs and Cowboys would probably concur.
Richt hasn’t called himself an adopted Hurricane on national TV

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Agree 110%. I remember reading an article quoting Kerwin's comments about Emmitt in that offense where everyone with a functioning brain knew Emmitt was getting the ball--Kerwin's last year was Emmitt's freshman year, and after several games Emmitt really solidified his worth to the offense, Kerwin said he simply loved handing the ball off to ES and then watching as if he was a fan....simply to watch the magic unfold and be in awe of what ES was doing. He said something like "even though the defenses knew what was coming, it was pure pleasure to give Emmitt the ball and then turn around and watch him pick & choose where to go--and then actually go do it." Kerwin said there were several times he almost got so caught up in watching ES run, he lost track of running the offense. He was enjoying the talent display like everyone sitting in the stands.

To tie that into your point....with an intimidating passing game of SOS taking the SEC by storm, my God what Emmitt would have been able to do if he had that aspect in the offense--definitely something he never had when he was here. Just my opinion, but 90 could have been a year that Emmitt would have been the strongest Heisman contender, and quite possibly won it.
I remember Bell watching Emmitt. The same way Tebow watched Percy on the misdirection.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1993 was the year he called himself an adopted Hurricane on Roy Firestone’s show. There were no internet message boards back then.
I don't remember that. What was he trying to say?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never mind, Dunder. It now occurs to me he won a SB alongside a couple of Canes. Eff Michael Irvin.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I don't remember that. What was he trying to say?
I remember it like it was yesterday. Emmit & Michael Irvin were on Roy Firestone together. The interview went something like this...

Roy: The two of you shouldn’t be such good friends, you’re a Gator & he’s a Hurricane

Emmitt: Well I’m an adopted Hurricane, so... (laughs)

Roy: Ooh, that’s not going to go over very well in Gainesville

Emmitt & Irvin: (laughing)

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
1993 was the year he called himself an adopted Hurricane on Roy Firestone’s show. There were no internet message boards back then.
Could you expand your views of Emmitts character flaws because in my opinion Hernandez had character flaws, Winston has many character flaws, but donning a rivals hat is not a character flaw.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Could you expand your views of Emmitts character flaws because in my opinion Hernandez had character flaws, Winston has many character flaws, but donning a rivals hat is not a character flaw.
Well if your definition is that narrow, I guess you’re right.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember it like it was yesterday. Emmit & Michael Irvin were on Roy Firestone together. The interview went something like this...

Roy: The two of you shouldn’t be such good friends, you’re a Gator & he’s a Hurricane

Emmitt: Well I’m an adopted Hurricane, so... (laughs)

Roy: Ooh, that’s not going to go over very well in Gainesville

Emmitt & Irvin: (laughing)
In retrospect, I think part of Emmitt's cavalier attitude about his Gator allegiance was the result of UF's poor record during that period. He probably doesn't dare think to say that if we had won an SEC while he was here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My point was what he could have meant to a Spurrier offense. And Law, who loves SOS but hates Emmitt.
I don't hate Emmitt. I just don't like making him more than he was because he had a great pro career.

Kearse is another guy that gets inflated. Kearse was the third and maybe 4th best linebacker on the team at UF.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
In retrospect, I think part of Emmitt's cavalier attitude about his Gator allegiance was the result of UF's poor record during that period. He probably doesn't dare think to say that if we had won an SEC while he was here.
The University of Florida isn’t Harvard or Yake, but I’m very proud of my degree & always consider myself a Gator above all.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I don't hate Emmitt. I just don't like making him more than he was because he had a great pro career.

Kearse is another guy that gets inflated. Kearse was the third and maybe 4th best linebacker on the team at UF.
3rd or 4th? I thought Mike Peterson was better (more consistent for sure). But 3rd or 4th?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The University of Florida isn’t Harvard or Yake, but I’m very proud of my degree & always consider myself a Gator above all.
Apparently he felt the same. He came back and got his UF degree somewhere amid that Dallas run.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Honestly, he doesn't get inflated in my mind because of Dallas. As great as he was in the NFL, he was even more dominant against the best run defenses in college football.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

Be honest, you never saw Emmitt play live on TV or on Florida Field did you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Be honest, you never saw Emmitt play live on TV or on Florida Field did you?
I was busy. Falling out of airplanes and stuff.

I have seen him take pains to not identify himself as a Gator. That's all it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.