Emmitt says Urbs should be in the Ring of Honor

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The two Natties he has as a Gator makes up for his downfalls in my book, put his as$ up there.
I think it will happen, but there's some PR to do by Meyer and Uf. I bet Spurrier has or will lobby for Meyer. "Heck Mick, Urby got 2 NCs. He didn't stick around long but neither did guys that dissed Hernandez."

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
He was also a very good pass catching running back. I want to say at the time he left school, he was in the top 5 of passes caught in UF history. Doubt he's there now, but he was up there when he graduated.
153 catches, 4th all time, I doubt anyone comes close to that in the future unless we switch to an air raid O.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ive never understood why we put college players in the ROH for what they did in the pros.

Errict Rhett should be HOF before Emmitt.
:facepalm:

Smith in three seasons exceeds Rhett's output over four-plus if not for a knee injury in 1988 that kept him out of several games and limited his carries. As it were, he averaged 5.6 per carry to Rhett's 4.8.

Translated, if Smith carries the ball as many times, he ends his UF career with 4,897 yards -- 734 more than Rhett -- and in so doing Rhett takes only a few snaps in '90 while burning a year, which widens the margin even further.

You're whacked if you rate Errict Rhett above Emmitt Smith. The Bucs and Cowboys would probably concur.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
:facepalm:

Smith in three seasons exceeds Rhett's output over four-plus if not for a knee injury in 1988 that kept him out of several games and limited his carries.

Translated, if Smith carries the ball as many times, he ends his UF career with 4,897 yards -- 734 more than Rhett -- and in so doing Rhett takes only a few snaps in '90 while burning a year, which widens the margin even further.

You're whacked if you rate Errict Rhett above Emmitt Smith. The Bucs and Cowboys would probably concur.
+1 Everyone is the country knew our offense: Emmitt left, Emmitt right,Emmit up the middle , Emmitt screen. The QBs and WRs sucked.

Rhett on theother hand, had a QB WRs and a genius coach.

Loved that draw play though.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
+1 Everyone is the country knew our offense: Emmitt left, Emmitt right,Emmit up the middle , Emmitt screen. The QBs and WRs sucked.

Rhett on theother hand, had a QB WRs and a genius coach.

Loved that draw play though.
The UF offenses Smith played in couldn't hold a candle to Spurrier's. It's almost unfathomable to think how many yards Smith could have racked up in an offense where you feared the pass. He could have gone off for 2,000. Sadly, we'll never know.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The UF offenses Smith played in couldn't hold a candle to Spurrier's. It's almost unfathomable to think how many yards Smith could have racked up in an offense where you feared the pass. He could have gone off for 2,000. Sadly, we'll never know.
I was hoping Emmitt would stay for Spurriers first year. That would have been something to see.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was hoping Emmitt would stay for Spurriers first year. That would have been something to see.
SOS didn't want anyone in his offense hogging the limelight. I'm convinced that was the reason Emmitt felt dissed and left. He'd have stayed if Spurrier had shown some love. SOS had Rhett in his back pocket, which for his mentality worked better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I rate Gators above Adopted Canes and Dwags.
We'd have beaten Bama in the inaugural SECCG with #22 and you'd be slobbering all over him now. Emmitt was before your time, buddy. You had to see him run live to fully appreciate how dominant he was as a college runner. Jaw-dropping moves and amazing burst.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Short of taking 2 redshirts Emmitt was never going to be in the inaugural SECCG.
My point was what he could have meant to a Spurrier offense. And Law, who loves SOS but hates Emmitt.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We'd have beaten Bama in the inaugural SECCG with #22 and you'd be slobbering all over him now. Emmitt was before your time, buddy. You had to see him run live to fully appreciate how dominant he was as a college runner. Jaw-dropping moves and amazing burst.
Emmitt was the ONLY reason I watched 87,88,89. He saw the hole before it was there. He bounced off tacklers like he was made of rubber. And he NEVER fell backwards. That's with every team knowing that he was getting the ball every snap He was fun to watch.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Agree 110%. I remember reading an article quoting Kerwin's comments about Emmitt in that offense where everyone with a functioning brain knew Emmitt was getting the ball--Kerwin's last year was Emmitt's freshman year, and after several games Emmitt really solidified his worth to the offense, Kerwin said he simply loved handing the ball off to ES and then watching as if he was a fan....simply to watch the magic unfold and be in awe of what ES was doing. He said something like "even though the defenses knew what was coming, it was pure pleasure to give Emmitt the ball and then turn around and watch him pick & choose where to go--and then actually go do it." Kerwin said there were several times he almost got so caught up in watching ES run, he lost track of running the offense. He was enjoying the talent display like everyone sitting in the stands.

To tie that into your point....with an intimidating passing game of SOS taking the SEC by storm, my God what Emmitt would have been able to do if he had that aspect in the offense--definitely something he never had when he was here. Just my opinion, but 90 could have been a year that Emmitt would have been the strongest Heisman contender, and quite possibly won it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree 110%. I remember reading an article quoting Kerwin's comments about Emmitt in that offense where everyone with a functioning brain knew Emmitt was getting the ball--Kerwin's last year was Emmitt's freshman year, and after several games Emmitt really solidified his worth to the offense, Kerwin said he simply loved handing the ball off to ES and then watching as if he was a fan....simply to watch the magic unfold and be in awe of what ES was doing. He said something like "even though the defenses knew what was coming, it was pure pleasure to give Emmitt the ball and then turn around and watch him pick & choose where to go--and then actually go do it." Kerwin said there were several times he almost got so caught up in watching ES run, he lost track of running the offense. He was enjoying the talent display like everyone sitting in the stands.

To tie that into your point....with an intimidating passing game of SOS taking the SEC by storm, my God what Emmitt would have been able to do if he had that aspect in the offense--definitely something he never had when he was here. Just my opinion, but 90 could have been a year that Emmitt would have been the strongest Heisman contender, and quite possibly won it.
Leaving after his junior season helped shape history. Dallas was able to draft Russell Maryland #1 the following year and went on to win three Super Bowls with that young nucleus. Emmitt probably wouldn't trade that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.