Excellent fall camp update, 8/13

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
really good Q and A covering fall practice up to this point from GatorCountry.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/...ators-podcast/

McCallister, Ivie, Brantley, Wyoming Wild Man, and Bullard look to be establishing themselves as the top five linemen.

Buchanan is looking good on OL.

Freshman LB Rashad Jackson looks to be ready for playing time.

Big dropoff at TE after McGee.

Interesting points about the new strength/conditioning program.

DBs are sick. Article says people better be able to run on us, cuz they won't be throwing the ball anywhere until they do.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
LongTooth;n260461 said:
really good Q and A covering fall practice up to this point from GatorCountry.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/fall-camp-update-after-practice-five-florida-gators-podcast/

McCallister, Ivie, Brantley, Wyoming Wild Man, and Bullard look to be establishing themselves as the top five linemen.

Buchanan is looking good on OL.

Freshman LB Rashad Jackson looks to be ready for playing time.

Big dropoff at TE after McGee.

Interesting points about the new strength/conditioning program.

DBs are sick. Article says people better be able to run on us, cuz they won't be throwing the ball anywhere until they do.
We're going to need Jackson at LB so I'm glad he's stepping up.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Goolsby showed some promise at TE - surprised he is considered a big dropoff to McGee right now but maybe that is a good sign if McGee stays healthy.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. Great update. Interesting stuff. Very interesting about not naming a QB until classes start so they can't transfer before the season.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n260476 said:
Goolsby showed some promise at TE - surprised he is considered a big dropoff to McGee right now but maybe that is a good sign if McGee stays healthy.

Not really surprising at all. We tend to wear O&B glasses, and generally love the players who want to be Gators. But the TE position is loaded with projects/leftovers that likely wouldn't be starting at any of our main competitors. I'm hopeful that we truly have at least one of those "diamonds in the rough". But I'm not optimistic. It's a skill position, an the rating services tend to get those guys right more often than not. That position is probably going to have to be fixed through recruiting and landing a true star.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n260488 said:
Thanks for sharing. Great update. Interesting stuff. Very interesting about not naming a QB until classes start so they can't transfer before the season.

That's not the reason. It's because Grier sucks...just ask TRex. :lol:

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Awesome read! My favorite line out of the article. "The secondary’s nasty. Pick your poison. You’re not going to throw to Vernon, so you’re going to really test Quincy and Tabor over there? Good luck with that" and, " Somebody was asking me about Florida’s defensive backs, and my answer was, Florida better be able to stop the run, because there’s not going to be many people that want to pass on this team". If we can stop the run as affective as last year (minus the FSUX game) we will be in ALL of the games we play and that could mean a special season; because we have someone who can call a game on offense instead of play for field positioning.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
soflagator;n260491 said:
Not really surprising at all. We tend to wear O&B glasses, and generally love the players who want to be Gators. But the TE position is loaded with projects/leftovers that likely wouldn't be starting at any of our main competitors. I'm hopeful that we truly have at least one of those "diamonds in the rough". But I'm not optimistic. It's a skill position, an the rating services tend to get those guys right more often than not. That position is probably going to have to be fixed through recruiting and landing a true star.

While I agree with most of what you're saying TE is a position that takes time for a player to develop IMO. McGee has had 5 years to hone his skills and get physically stronger. Plain and simple the others haven't had time to get physically stronger or at least strong enough to be every down players at that position. My hope is that Goolsby and Lewis can be used as change of pace players to keep them involved and help with what again appears to be a less than desirable WR position group. Think of how we used Jordan Reed in 2011 & 2012. He was invaluable despite never really learning how to block.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We go through all this hype before every season. After the past several years of being let down after the pre-season build-up, and I guess I'm just crazy for feeling like this, but I can't help but feel like there's some truth this year, this time, it may be real hype and not fake pre-season fluff. I feel like our defense is going to be nasty, tough, and physical. If JMac and Nuss can get the offense to jell a bit, it could be a surprising season (in a good way).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n260504 said:
(minus the FSUX game)

Yeah, don't forget LSU too. That kid ate our defense for lunch last year. He'll only be better this year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
A couple of things:

1) The coaching staff expects the o-line to be serviceable this year. Considering how bad things were when Coach Mac took over, that is great news. I'm still worried about RG.

2. This is pure speculation and could mean absolutely nothing. D-Rob is roomed with Grier. Does that imply Grier is going to be the starter? Having them room together creates chemistry on and off the field?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n260512 said:
We go through all this hype before every season. After the past several years of being let down after the pre-season build-up, and I guess I'm just crazy for feeling like this, but I can't help but feel like there's some truth this year, this time, it may be real hype and not fake pre-season fluff. I feel like our defense is going to be nasty, tough, and physical. If JMac and Nuss can get the offense to jell a bit, it could be a surprising season (in a good way).

I felt the same way after reading this. I'm trying not to get too optomistic... every year before the season we think about all the possibilities then the season starts and the team has sucked. Now we got rid of Muschamp and I am hoping that McElwain has a QB and can get this offense to score points.

The defense is going to be very good.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I am starting to feel really good about this being a turnaround year... I was thinking we would win 6-7, but if our D is this nasty we could only lose 1-2 games all year...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So is Cox still injured or is the wyoming wild man out playing him?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n260538 said:
I am starting to feel really good about this being a turnaround year... I was thinking we would win 6-7, but if our D is this nasty we could only lose 1-2 games all year...
There seems to be some reasons to feel positive about this season. But I always feel super positive about the season this time of year :lol:

I think for the most part, most positions we should at worst be sufficient, and more often than not pretty good, if not great (DB), but I really need to see what this Oline is made of, and hope Ivey really is the real deal.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Before we get our bowels all in an uproar, let's remember these 2 clowns have only seen us in pads for the first 15 minutes of practice on Monday and Tuesday. Wed. was no media and the team is off Thurs.

That said, we ARE still undefeated this year!......Go you wooly Gators!!!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n260551 said:
Go you wooly Gators!!!!

?????

8bmk.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users