Excellent fall camp update, 8/13

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n260507 said:
While I agree with most of what you're saying TE is a position that takes time for a player to develop IMO. McGee has had 5 years to hone his skills and get physically stronger. Plain and simple the others haven't had time to get physically stronger or at least strong enough to be every down players at that position. My hope is that Goolsby and Lewis can be used as change of pace players to keep them involved and help with what again appears to be a less than desirable WR position group. Think of how we used Jordan Reed in 2011 & 2012. He was invaluable despite never really learning how to block.

Again, I'm hopeful that one or both of those guys will emerge as a change of pace player, or even become a star. But I don't share your opinion on the development theme. It's still a skill position, and the great ones tend to show it right out of the gate. Troupe was good early. CI was already looking like a potential beast by the close of 2005, his first few games at TE. Hernandez spelled him in 2007 and was really good as a Freshman. Even AC Leonard looked like a star in the making in his few touches of 2011. Compare that to guys like Burton or Westbrook who gave us optimism at times but just weren't great players.

Hope I'm wrong, but I see the current roster outside of JM being more similar to them. I'd put the kid who transferred out after 6 weeks in the same category as well, so no loss there, imo.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n260554 said:
Again, I'm hopeful that one or both of those guys will emerge as a change of pace player, or even become a star. But I don't share your opinion on the development theme. It's still a skill position, and the great ones tend to show it right out of the gate. Troupe was good early. CI was already looking like a potential beast by the close of 2005, his first few games at TE. Hernandez spelled him in 2007 and was really good as a Freshman. Even AC Leonard looked like a star in the making in his few touches of 2011. Compare that to guys like Burton or Westbrook who gave us optimism at times but just weren't great players.

Hope I'm wrong, but I see the current roster outside of JM being more similar to them. I'd put the kid who transferred out after 6 weeks in the same category as well, so no loss there, imo.

I think you're being a little hard on Lewis here. He hasn't played a down of college ball yet, and as a RS frosh played pretty well in the spring game. I think he can and will help us this year.
Certainly an upgrade over Westbrook.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n260554 said:

They way I interpreted the article is that the main criticism of the younger TE's is that they are not good run blockers. In the spring game both Lewis and Goolsby both looked the part of a pass-catching TE, and all other reports that I have read says that is their strength. I didn't see any criticism in this article about their hands, route running, etc. They simply said that on 3rd and 2, the younger TE's don't seem like they could handle blocking a DE unlike McGee who does well run blocking for the most part.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Having a secondary like that will only make the young QBs even better.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good read. Liked what I read for the most part. Those young TE's just need to learn the technique and all of blocking, they appear to be fine pass catchers. Liked what I saw on offense about how Jordan Scarlett was going to be a big part of our offense, he's got a real shot to be a playmaker. Let's hope everything continues to progress well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good read. If the O-line is decent, then I like our chances in the east. This is the time of year to be excited. If we aren't good, it's going to suck anyway. So you might as well enjoy the optimism now.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
soflagator;n260491 said:
Not really surprising at all. We tend to wear O&B glasses, and generally love the players who want to be Gators. But the TE position is loaded with projects/leftovers that likely wouldn't be starting at any of our main competitors. I'm hopeful that we truly have at least one of those "diamonds in the rough". But I'm not optimistic. It's a skill position, an the rating services tend to get those guys right more often than not. That position is probably going to have to be fixed through recruiting and landing a true star.
Sorry,thought I was over this, but I can't resist: " We don't need no stinkin' tight ends."

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
If we can stay healthy on both lines, and have two RBs step it up, we are going to surprise some folks.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MissouriGator;n260617 said:
If we can stay healthy on both lines, and have two RBs step it up, we are going to surprise some folks.

Cant be. Law says we suck.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Law is just simply fed up with the state of our program. I understand; he simply has no tolerance for mediocrity, and sadly, that is what we have become. But brighter days are ahead. Law's profession invites a skeptical attitude--it is the nature of the business. But football can change on a dime. And if you can learn to appreciate his humor--how he deals with this mess- then you will find one interesting character. The board wouldn't be the same without him. And I remember a time when nothing but championships was acceptable here--when a 10 win season was a dissapointment. He's just frustrated like the rest of us. I've been reading his posts for more than 10 years. That's just my take.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds as if there is reason for optimism in Gainesville. Ready for the season to begin.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Slow down guys...remember this is our beat writers saying this stuff...

I remember seeing our offense last year in the spring and thinking we would win 10 games

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of things that jumped out to me.

Andrew: "... That’s kind of where it is. We’ll see what the fourth quarter brings. Of course, McElwain’s offense is going to be pounding and grounding, so it’ll be interesting to see." (That was when they were referring to the strength training,) Is that a reflection of how they perceive Mac/Nussy's offense to be, or a what they have seen in practice? Knowing that other than DRob we don't have a proven receiver, QB battle, Oline iffy, Ivey monster run blocker but limited pass protection ability... Doesn't look like we'll be airing it out much as we would like

They seem to think that Oline is improving and will be serviceable. With our defense, an average offense will allow us to possibly win every game. So that is very encouraging. Just need to stay healthy with our limited numbers and keep progressing.

Good to see they think the LB's are doing good, without Morrison, the rest have limited experience and is the biggest question mark on that side of the ball. This is another group that needs to stay healthy as numbers and experience aren't favorable. If they do their job, our D will be monster.

It doesn't matter who is named the starter, both QB's will see playing time, hopefully not due to injury. But I believe Mac understands that the backup needs to be game ready and will have packages for both quarterbacks during every game.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n260687 said:
A couple of things that jumped out to me.

Andrew: "... That’s kind of where it is. We’ll see what the fourth quarter brings. Of course, McElwain’s offense is going to be pounding and grounding, so it’ll be interesting to see." (That was when they were referring to the strength training,) Is that a reflection of how they perceive Mac/Nussy's offense to be, or a what they have seen in practice? Knowing that other than DRob we don't have a proven receiver, QB battle, Oline iffy, Ivey monster run blocker but limited pass protection ability... Doesn't look like we'll be airing it out much as we would like

They seem to think that Oline is improving and will be serviceable. With our defense, an average offense will allow us to possibly win every game. So that is very encouraging. Just need to stay healthy with our limited numbers and keep progressing.

Good to see they think the LB's are doing good, without Morrison, the rest have limited experience and is the biggest question mark on that side of the ball. This is another group that needs to stay healthy as numbers and experience aren't favorable. If they do their job, our D will be monster.

It doesn't matter who is named the starter, both QB's will see playing time, hopefully not due to injury. But I believe Mac understands that the backup needs to be game ready and will have packages for both quarterbacks during every game.

The difference I think is going to be that Mcelwain isn't going to run it every down like you know who even if it's not working

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
TheBigClaw;n260693 said:
The difference I think is going to be that Mcelwain isn't going to run it every down like you know who even if it's not working

in addition, they note that Mac is still all over the offensive players regarding their technique and execution. as they learn the playbook, he's trying to bang on the minutiae so the plays unfold more quickly and cleanly. that's encouraging. it's obvious chump wasn't interested in getting any sharpness out of the offense. it was just a blunt object for him. at times, our offense looked like it was playing in quicksand. Mac knows how to work the big picture of game-planning and playbook as well as the details of what each player should do in terms of technique on each play. hopefully, that will get some more points on the board and unlock the playmaking potential we've yet to see from some of these guys.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
NCOGator;n260504 said:
Awesome read! My favorite line out of the article. "The secondary’s nasty. Pick your poison. You’re not going to throw to Vernon, so you’re going to really test Quincy and Tabor over there? Good luck with that" and, "

I agree the secondary is nasty, but when I read GC waxing poetic on the mighty Gators I think about the unstoppable preseason offense featuring Demps, Rainey & the king of potential, Andre Debose. I think they even said "pick you poison" then, too.

Which is why I won't ever pay GC.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
NavetG8r;n260512 said:
We go through all this hype before every season. After the past several years of being let down after the pre-season build-up, and I guess I'm just crazy for feeling like this, but I can't help but feel like there's some truth this year, this time, it may be real hype and not fake pre-season fluff. I feel like our defense is going to be nasty, tough, and physical. If JMac and Nuss can get the offense to jell a bit, it could be a surprising season (in a good way).

The words are eerily discomforting. It echoes of "Wait 'til next year" from my years growing up on pre-Spurrier gator squads. It also falls too close to TN, FSU, and MIA who frequently proclaimed "We are back!" only to find another mediocre season at best. I don't want to be like either of those. While I've been against the negative nellies playing 'who can be the most miserable' I am equally unwilling to believe things are better. I certainly HOPE they are better, but until we reach kick off for our fourth or fifth game, I'm staying quiet on how we'll go. We have the potential to be really good, or at least better than decent. We also have the potential to go 4-8 again. I'll wait and see.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Theologator;n260714 said:
I agree the secondary is nasty, but when I read GC waxing poetic on the mighty Gators I think about the unstoppable preseason offense featuring Demps, Rainey & the king of potential, Andre Debose. I think they even said "pick you poison" then, too.

Which is why I won't ever pay GC.

Yeah but I blame that on Urban Liar's esophageal spasms.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Whichever QB, I can't see either satisfied with a Driskel performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator