Feleipe Franks

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt he's your starter next year.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Depends on what you surround him with. One man's serviceable/competent is another man's national champion.
Have you seen our depth chart at LB, Safety and DT? A serviceable QB won't get it done next year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I said this long ago: NFL HOF LB, Ray Lewis saw Franks play in the high school state playoffs and called him the "real deal." I gotta believe a kid with raw uncoached talent that impresses one of the greatest defensive players of all-time can become a serviceable/competent QB.
Not in the spread option.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks improved from flat out awful to slightly below average this year. That's a huge leap, but its nothing compared to the leap to very good/great. The prospects of seeing if he can't make it to mediocre next year is not the least bit exciting. Sure hope EJ is the real deal and gets the start against the Canes.

Franks is 27th in the nation in passing touchdowns so he had to of been at least an average QB.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Franks is 27th in the nation in passing touchdowns so he had to of been at least an average QB.
An average QB throws for more than 84 yards against MIzzu at home and doesn't fumble on to 1 against the Dawgs. Those two performances alone put him below average in my book.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good thread, Sas. I said following the MSU game that I believe Franks will end his career as a very popular player for us. My position hasn’t changed. He is still young, is obviously taken coaching well, and has a lot of determination to succeed.

I’m not debating whether or not he’s had some bad games, or even some bad throws in the good games. Most RSSoph do. But he also has several passes in almost every game that many other QBs can’t make. That opens up a separate element of our offense that may otherwise be dormant.

29 total TDs against just 6 INTs is an incredible step up from last year. Throw in his critical runs at times for first downs, and a clutch catch in a tough spot in the win against Lsu and it’s a solid season.

To be clear, I have no doubt that Jones—Mullen’s signature recruit—will get a fair shake in Spring. But I still think we’re so programmed to see the negative after the past decade that we forget that each season and each player stands alone. And the reality is, if FF were viewed with that perspective, this season would be seen as a lot better.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I'll have to give credit where credit is due: Franks made a number of plays yesterday with his arm and with his legs; and afterwards, showed real leadership in building up Grimes and apparently encouraging him on the sideline that it was "his turn" yesterday. That's what a mature QB does on the sideline and in the postgame interviews.

I'm not quite "there" yet with him as a QB or a leader: but yesterday was very encouraging on both fronts. Hope he uses the next month to double-down on focus and preparation for the bowl game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not in the spread option.
That was the general feeling coming into the season, but I feel that's been proven wrong more than right. If anything, Franks has played better in Mullen's system of rollouts and being called on to run from time to time.

It's as a passer operating from a stationary pocket where he runs into his biggest issues.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I've still seen a lot of poopooing over Franks since yesterday. I'm going to put this into a little perspective for you guys.

• Franks was the first UF QB since Tebow graduated to start every game of the season. Having stability at the position no doubt contributed to our success.
  • Even though he had a rough game against Missouri, Franks played the entire month of November without turning the ball over a single time.
  • After taking 29 sacks and throwing 8 interceptions in 229 attempts last year, he was only sacked 12 times and threw 6 interceptions this year in 299 attempts. His completion percentage increased by about 4%, which could have been bolstered by the amount of short passes we threw, but could also have been held back by his willingness to throw the ball away this year.
  • Franks threw 23 touchdown passes this year. Not only is that more touchdowns than any UF QB has thrown in a season since 2008, that's also eclipses the number of combined touchdown passes in any season since 2009. We can say he padded those stats with 8 touchdowns against Charleston Southern and Idaho, but let's be honest, every season involves stat-padding cupcake games.
  • Franks' QB rating improved by 31 points from last year. Yards per attempt went up by about 1.4 yards.
So let's pump the brakes on calling for a new starter right now. He's shown the ability to not only improve greatly from last year (coaching), he's shown the ability to improve during the season. I've been plenty critical of him at times, especially after UGA/Missouri, but he responded as well as he possibly could have and was dynamite the last four games. After not having any real coaching to speak of until last offseason, let's give him a chance to show us what he can do now that he's been in Mullen's system a full season.

tl;dr FRANKS WASN'T THAT BAD SO CALM THE F*CK DOWN AND GO GATORS.

FF has grown this year at QB, no doubt about it. I want desperately to give him the benefit of the doubt because I know his first few years at UF he had total Shyt for coaching. I hope he will use the off season to learn the playbook inside and out and watch tons of film. He also needs to spend alot of time with his rec and get on the same page, learn how to throw guys open and read defenses at the LOS. If he can do that I believe he has a shot at not just being a great college QB but also turn some NFL heads. If Driskel, and Brissett are on NFL rosters, FF can absolutely make it as well but he needs to get busy.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
For old school guys he's a Bobby Douglas, Joe Kapp, Derrick Ramsey (Kentucky's only good FB team coached by UF nemesis Fran Curci). For the here and now he's a lot like Fitzgerald at MSU. He's very serviceable and can be the leader of some moderately outstanding teams. I don't think he will ever make a throw to the third or fourth progression on a play. I don't think he will ever be able to loop the ball to a receiver between two defenders, that's innate and something you can't coach.

It sure is a lot better to be talking about the things we are now instead of the dialogue we had the last two years, Franks is a big part of that.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, The majority of Mullen's offense doesn't require a three or four progression read. See diehard just above. That's what it requires. I can't believe it's that hard to id players pre-snap and read the line and lb's after that. I never liked the look of Mullen's offense. I didn't even like how it looked when we were winning NC's. But I sure did like the results.

So for those of you wishing that Franks can go through his progressions, you may be wishing for a long time. He might go through two, very rarely three or four.

I'm betting he's better next year. I'm hoping but not counting on the possibility that our next really great QB beats him out.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Franks has improved, no doubt. I expect that for any starting QB at Florida. I also expect good coaching and leadership from the staff to help with that, something he hasn’t had till this year.

One thing Franks could do to show the world he’s ready to be the leader and take it to the next level next year is shave that fcvking squirrel hair on his chin. That would go a long way in my book of great decision making.

I could actually see him braiding it for next year. Lol

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
He has played pretty good this season. But I think his ceiling is low and I think we can do better. I just dont think he can be coached up much more. We can hide him with more talent around us or we can up the talent ceiling at that position to exponentially up the talent level around him. But yes ... he had a great season and I will never root against him.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Seeing his improvement at the start of the season gave hope, but after the two game schneid I thought, That’s it. He’s reached his apex and this is all he’ll ever be. Now I think he still has another level.

Has anyone ever gone to more of an afterthought quicker than Trask? He was set to play a major role after the Mizoo game and now he’s not even mentioned as option for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator