Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Malibu Spring Break: Terrible movie, but I expected that. I also expected lots of boobs to compensate for the terrible movie. There were lots of boobs, but they were pretty terrible, and not quality enough to offset the movie's terribleness... Not sure how to rate anything on this one... First World problem for sure...
You know, at any time you could watch The Godfather instead of schyt like Malibu Spring Break. It even has boobies in it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Pope of Greenwich Village is an underrated favorite of mine. Eric Roberts was hilarious in it.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the cabin in the woods earlier . Definitely unique but no tits . C minus

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I have admitted I watch crap. A lot of everything, which means some crap gets in the queue...

Singapore Sling (1990)

The phrase forming in my head repeatedly is "This is funny. F'd UP! But funny." Made in 1990, it looks and feels more like a 70's psycho-sex romp filmed in B&W. A very odd watch, given the women are the only two with dialogue - daughter in English and mother speaking French and then translating herself for us (WHY??!?!), but they both turn and talk to the audience directly at times, breaking the fourth wall. The guy has dialogue, but it's all narration and/or his thoughts, in Greek (subtitles required). Lots of boobs, some snatch, one weird scene of sex with a kiwi. The story line is the two women have sex with people, including each other, and then torture-kill their partner and move on to the next one. Entire film is done in their remote mansion, with references to the father who died (was killed? had sex with both, etc), a chauffer they open the film with as they bury him mostly dead, and of a young woman 'Laura' who stayed with them for a bit and was used this way as well. Our male lead is a private detective looking for Laura who falls into this spider's web and gets used by it as well. There is a little twisty in the end as you try and guess who lives, but ultimately you don't care that much. One could try and view this as making artful statements on society about the daughter representing the near-orgasm naive youth confused by the world around her...and likely make up some inferences about the mother and detective, but for 98% of those who bother to watch, it's mostly 'the guy who made this up is f'd in the head'. I can see only a very tiny portion of the population being willing to watch, much less enjoy it. I'm in that group. I think. I'd give it about 1/10, but with all the sex and boobs, I'll give it a 2/10 (nice boobs). Not sure why I let someone talk me into watching this one.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019)

The good: DiCaprio and Pitt played their roles at a very high level. Wholly believable and authentic. The styling (cars, clothes, scenery) was perfect to portray 1969. Robbie was pretty to watch as well. A few nice smaller roles (Kurt Russel, and the guy who did Bruce Lee, as well as a decent Steve McQueen)

The bad: Felt very much like Tarantino always wanted to do a western, and after Hateful 8 this was another semi-attempt, but he wanted to throw in big name actors, relive some of the lifestyle of the era, and throw in a crazy twist of his own at the end.

The ugly: Over 2 hrs of 'where is this going?' only to have a bit character step out of the sidelines and take the story on a hard turn. Then the last 20min really felt like they had NOTHING to do with the previous 2:20, but at least the last 20 had pace, comedy, and something to enjoy - the previous 2:20 didn't really give me much.

The memorable: Really, I was enjoying watching Pitt on an acid trip, and wondered if he could handle the climax...that, to me was the best part. The rest of it, not so memorable, just QT entertaining himself.

Final verdict: 4/10.

The Man From Nowhere (2010)

I'm on a Korean film kick, it seems. Expect more to follow. In this one, we have a quiet pawn shop owner, befriended by a small girl in the building. He gets pulled into the drug gang operation the girl's mother is involved with. The gang takes mom and kid, Mr. Pawn Shop goes after them. He's up against the gang, the cops (who, I can't tell if they are connected with the gang or not, bad dialogue+subtitles+the all look the same). And, of course, he's ex-paramiltary and subsequently goes about kicking ass. Fight scenes are ok, not great. Plot is meh. Characters are meh. The dialogue is somewhat amusing, like a recent live version of 'all you base are belong to us' and 'someone set us up the bomb'. No nudes, no fun. 3/10.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Blinded by the Light - caught this on Prime as part of a free HBO thing they have. Focuses on a Pakistani immigrant in the UK in the 80’s. He wants out of his town but is torn between the life path his father has him on and his real dream of becoming a writer. He goes to a preparatory college and is introduced to Bruce Springsteen music. The lyrics speak to him and he starts to live his life for himself and follow his dreams.

I thought this was pretty good. I have never gotten the appeal of Springsteen so I was worried that would affect how I felt but it did not. 7/10.

Angel has Fallen - low expectation movie given it’s the third in an unwarranted trilogy. I did like the first one however. Morgan Freeman is now president and an assassination attempt puts Mike the secret service agent framed for it and now he has to save the president who is in the ICU and prove his innocence.

This thing was figured out in 5 minutes so no shocking reveal. Also didn’t has as much cool action as the first. I would say Nolte playing the crazy estranged father was the highlight. Low expectations. 5/10

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Been watching Gator FB highlights lately, like the 15-20 minute versions.

-Games during SOS and Timmy eras. Magical.

-Also, the last couple of games vs ut and f$u. The 2018 ut game never gets old. I didn't count, but it seemed like UF forced 7-8 turnovers in that game. It's the closest thing to football bloopers in one game I can ever recall, and it was beautiful. The ultimate rocky flop, especially considering it happened @ big daddy vol's house.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Been watching Gator FB highlights lately, like the 15-20 minute versions.

-Games during SOS and Timmy eras. Magical.

-Also, the last couple of games vs ut and f$u. The 2018 ut game never gets old. I didn't count, but it seemed like UF forced 7-8 turnovers in that game. It's the closest thing to football bloopers in one game I can ever recall, and it was beautiful. The ultimate rocky flop, especially considering it happened @ big daddy vol's house.
Awesome movie! +1!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brawl in cell block 99

Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Carpenter and Camp from Ace Ventura.

Not a complete waste of time. Lots of ass kickings and brutal prison slayings.
It ends as you suspect, so it gets docked a few points in that regard.
Nicely done by Vince Vaughn, but he can only take it so far.
C plus, slightly above average.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you watch it editted? I remember the blonde showing her rack.

I don't think it was edited. I think I remember the scene you're talking about outside in the night,
so the goods were somewhat concealed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dora the Explorer (2019): The daughter wanted to watch it so we did as a family movie Friday night. Now I hate Dora... all my nieces have loved it and my daughter did as well. The movie starts out with dora as a kid with diego her cousin. Diego moves to the city and we jump in time until she is a teenager. She gets shipped to the city as her parents are close to finding the lost temple of paragata (or something like that). She goes to high school, and some stupid jokes later.. gets kidnapped while on a field trip with her team (stuck up know it all, diego, cliche nerd kid). Then Dora has to show her explorer skills. A lot of songs and kid friendly humor and of course they find the temple etc... the kid love it, I give it a 4/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs or bush.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dora the Explorer (2019): The daughter wanted to watch it so we did as a family movie Friday night. Now I hate Dora... all my nieces have loved it and my daughter did as well.

My daughter and a friend wanted to see this, having grown up with Dora and looking for a good laugh at cheese. Instead, she came away not hating it, not loving, just feeling it was a complete waste of time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This weekend at the box office, I heard on the radio (no link) there are 14 theaters open nation wide and only one showing new releases. Therefore this weeks box office smash is "Swallow"

Hunter, a newly pregnant housewife, finds herself increasingly compelled to consume dangerous objects. As her husband and his family tighten their control over her life, she must confront the dark secret behind her new obsession.

Gross for the weekend, $1,710. Mehtinks it broke expectations.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My daughter and a friend wanted to see this, having grown up with Dora and looking for a good laugh at cheese. Instead, she came away not hating it, not loving, just feeling it was a complete waste of time.

If you are high I bet it was decent. My daugther is 6 so it was still fun for her... But very very young humor.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dora the Explorer (2019): The daughter wanted to watch it so we did as a family movie Friday night. Now I hate Dora... all my nieces have loved it and my daughter did as well. The movie starts out with dora as a kid with diego her cousin. Diego moves to the city and we jump in time until she is a teenager. She gets shipped to the city as her parents are close to finding the lost temple of paragata (or something like that). She goes to high school, and some stupid jokes later.. gets kidnapped while on a field trip with her team (stuck up know it all, diego, cliche nerd kid). Then Dora has to show her explorer skills. A lot of songs and kid friendly humor and of course they find the temple etc... the kid love it, I give it a 4/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs or bush.
Shouldn't Dora be "legal" and smokin hot by now?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shouldn't Dora be "legal" and smokin hot by now?

Unfortunitely in the movie she was almost legal, and no where close to hot. But that also be due to the fact she had the same haircut, and kept talking to backup and the map (which was in crayon still). Rumor is URG drew the map, which is believable due to the handwriting on it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Unfortunitely in the movie she was almost legal, and no where close to hot. But that also be due to the fact she had the same haircut, and kept talking to backup and the map (which was in crayon still). Rumor is URG drew the map, which is believable due to the handwriting on it.
backPACK!!! Get it RIGHT! ;)

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Old Boy (2010)

So, keeping up with the Korean recommendations, I've done this one now. Storyline, for those that don't know is a guy gets abducted off the street and put in a hotel room / prison for 15 years with no explanation. There is a newscast that mentions him, and that he has vanished after killing his wife (he did not). He's in there watching tv, trying to kill himself (they save him) questioning his history to understand the who and why, and ultimately is digging out for an escape. He has no idea how long he'll be in there...oddly, when he finally reaches the outside by tunneling, he's 'released'. Being a wanted man, he cannot do much, but is approached by a random who gives him a wallet of money and a phone. His tormentor phones him and sets him on a path for confrontation. Along the way, our lead befriends a young sushi chef and is torn between loving her and suspecting her as part of the tormentor's plan. I'll skip a lot of the detail, but for the viewer, there are a few ok fight scenes (not blood-gore, not kung fu theater, just ok), some introspective commentary by our lead (usually funny observations or thoughts), and a nagging uncertainty of what the hell is going on for the lead, and will he hold it together enough to figure it out. The climax has a few key plot twists, the tormentor's is kinda meh, but our lead's hits a lot harder, IMO - especially as how he attempts to deal with it. I can't recommend it for action, or nudity (brief scene with boobs, not much), but it does carry you along with a decent story if you can bear with it. 6.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator