FILM ROOM: Bama Post-Mortem 1st half Offense

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
Man, that was painful. One of the fun parts about writing these columns is getting to tear into game film each week and pick apart every play our Gators ran that week. This week’s film with the multitude of executional problems and missed assighments is just plain tough to watch, though. Tough to watch, but necessary to identify exactly what is going on with this Gator offense. This week’s column is going to be a little different as a result.

Rather than simply break into a play and analyze it from a conceptual standpoint, we’re going to break into ALL of them. That’s right, below...

Read the rest here: FILM ROOM: Bama Post-Mortem 1st half Offense

More...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My Lord. If you want to see just what a comedy of errors this game was, just SKIM this article. There's just no way we should be this bad at this point.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So what we’re seeing here is a variety of both mental and mechanical errors by the quarterback in both the run and the pass that directly resulted in over a third (12/35) of the Florida first half plays being unsuccessful. Even given the quality of our opponent, that isn’t the type of performance an SEC team should expect out of an experienced quarterback. Bottom line: Jeff needs to improve, fast, or the Gators must begin to look in another direction for their signal caller, as Jeff’s experience clearly is not giving him an edge in game situations.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The article validates what everyone but Muschamp is thinking: Driskel is struggling, so Harris should be given opportunities to play.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If Muschamp is so hard-headed he can't see this and sticks w/ his boy...then he should be booted ASAP. He's put all his eggs in this basket. It's clear as day to anyone who has eyes that Driskel is the problem. Sure, Harris may struggle also...but we'll never know if he doesn't play.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Things are changing. That would have been deemed too anti-Driskel for print there a few weeks ago probably.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Gator Fever;n64651 said:
Things are changing. That would have been deemed too anti-Driskel for print there a few weeks ago probably.

Agreed. They try to sugar-coat everything and every post and article has to be overly politically correct!

Just say it; Driskel doesn't have what it takes to be a D1 QB (or at least UF's QB). He's a good kid...but that doesn't help us win football games.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Brissett looked great Saturday... :deadnanner:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n64651 said:

you're right, maybe it's a sign a change actually is in the works, and so the allied sources are changing the message. in advance ?

The analysis is hard to dispute, and is a very visual and highly concrete agreement to what most everyone already knew

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am truly hoping that inspite of what Muschamp is saying publically, he has a plan to pull Jeff if needed early in the Tennessee game. If Jeff continues to make bad decisions and bad throws then there is no reason not to give Harris a chance.

My fear is that based off of what UGA did with a bad QB, they are going to really focus on trying to run the ball with Jones and Taylor. I'm hoping Roper goes to some play action passes to take advantage of that, but Jeff still needs to make the correct read and the good throw.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n64663 said:
I am truly hoping that inspite of what Muschamp is saying publically, he has a plan to pull Jeff if needed early in the Tennessee game. If Jeff continues to make bad decisions and bad throws then there is no reason not to give Harris a chance.

My fear is that based off of what UGA did with a bad QB, they are going to really focus on trying to run the ball with Jones and Taylor. I'm hoping Roper goes to some play action passes to take advantage of that, but Jeff still needs to make the correct read and the good throw.

If Driskel doesn't burn them early they will just crowd the line of scrimmage I would think. I doubt we can beat Tenn just running and throwing those 2 yard passes in the flats as their defenders are too fast for that to work a lot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Playing poorly at Alabama, many much better quarterbacks have done that. Obviously the offensive hasn't gelled and part of that is the decision making my Driskel which in the first halves of Kentucky and Alabama was horrific and inexcusible. It doesn't help when his recievers have dropped double digit passes over the last two games as well. I expect Driskel to start against Tennesse, but Harris to also play. Depending on how Driskel plays will be how much I expect to see of Harris. With a new offense and so many moving pieces right now, it appears the offense isn't on the same page.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All this article does is add the technical data to what anyone watching the game saw, a QB who doesn't produce in game situations.
No excuses, it's time to move on.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
That is a crap load of red. If Driskel can't improve under Roper and Leak, something isn't right.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n64672 said:
That is a crap load of red. If Driskel can't improve under Roper and Leak, something isn't right.

Well Leak doesn't coach Driskel, he coaches the WRs. I'm sure he gives him some coaching tips and advice on occasion, but he isn't the QB coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n64678 said:
Well Leak doesn't coach Driskel, he coaches the WRs. I'm sure he gives him some coaching tips and advice on occasion, but he isn't the QB coach.

sssshhhhh ... logic like that isn't allowed.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n64668 said:
If Driskel doesn't burn them early they will just crowd the line of scrimmage I would think. I doubt we can beat Tenn just running and throwing those 2 yard passes in the flats as their defenders are too fast for that to work a lot.

I would imagine they will crowd the line of scrimmage from the start... I would. I would crowd it until Driskel shows he can connect on a deep pass. That is why I think the play action would work.. give him a little more room to hit that pass with the safeties getting focused on the run.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp cannot evaluate offensive talent... Same problem in Tampa with Lovie smith... Both Defensive coaches can't see what is apparent to everyone around them about which QB has the "it" factor and which one doesn't...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n64686 said:
Muschamp cannot evaluate offensive talent... Same problem in Tampa with Lovie smith... Both Defensive coaches can't see what is apparent to everyone around them about which QB has the "it" factor and which one doesn't...

Which quarterback has the "it" factor in Tampa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.