Final Recruiting Class

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If you think he coached the later half of the season poorly then you think he's a bad coach. But I don't want to read between the lines. Be a man, take a stand. Good coach or bad coach?

Pretty sure the jury is still out. I was in the great coach category for most of the season. The LSU fake FG really made me twinge. And then the ridiculous stubborness really brought back some bad memories. But he will get his 3 years to prove himself. He seems like he could be great. Time will tell.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure the jury is still out. I was in the great coach category for most of the season. The LSU fake FG really made me twinge. And then the ridiculous stubborness really brought back some bad memories. But he will get his 3 years to prove himself. He seems like he could be great. Time will tell.
What stubborness? Playing Treon when we had nobody else? By the end of the season it was such a cluster**** there was really nothing left to do other than maybe forfeit. It's more surprising the entire year wasn't as bad as the last 6 weeks or whatever in the season. Unless something goes completely awry he is going to be here for the next 3 years and it will take at least that long to get to a point where we could possibly be in "reload" mode. This was never supposed to be a quick fix...and you can see he is building everything in this program up from doubling the coaching staff with the support staff, the improvement to facilities (he is the one to demand a full length IPF when muschamp caved to Foley), and obviously trying to fix the holes in the roster that were left due to years of sh!!ty recruiting at key areas.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In defense of Mac, if you are building for the future, what do you do? He could've completely changed the offense and try to win a game or two more. I grant you that and understand everyone's (including mine) frustration at the time. After giving it some thought, I have changed my mind. Treon was a stop gap. He was a short-term fix. He was duct tape. What we were able to do over the final games was continue to get experience for the other guys on offense. Everyone talks about how important experience is for players. Well, those other guys got experience in Macs offense and not in another offense that they'll never run again. Am I happy about the tight games or losses? Of course not, but if the experience helps us next year and beyond, it was the right choice.

For those who say the slide hurt recruiting. Well you may be right. We have yet to claim an elite WR, but we do have some good ones committed, and a chance at Cleveland. Some say it wasn't the end of season that hurt WR recruiting as much as the coaches strategy. We are still missing top flight LB's, but we have some solid guys committed with a chance to add more. And who knows what commits we have because they see playing time. Point is that the slide may or may not have hurt recruiting. I really can't argue if you think it has. What I can argue is the quality of the class. While missing the level of elite prospects, we have several players who will most likely contribute. More importantly, we have guys who want to be Gators, which was a hallmark of SOS. Don't forget we have 12 EE's.

Point is that the slide at the end of the year sucked, but it's not the end of Mac or Gator football. Young guys saw the field and gained experience in Mac's offense. We are going to end up with a strong recruiting class. The Treon era It was a blip on the radar. Lets see how the Spring goes, and hope we don't have any season ending injuries.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What stubborness? Playing Treon when we had nobody else? By the end of the season it was such a cluster**** there was really nothing left to do other than maybe forfeit. It's more surprising the entire year wasn't as bad as the last 6 weeks or whatever in the season. Unless something goes completely awry he is going to be here for the next 3 years and it will take at least that long to get to a point where we could possibly be in "reload" mode. This was never supposed to be a quick fix...and you can see he is building everything in this program up from doubling the coaching staff with the support staff, the improvement to facilities (he is the one to demand a full length IPF when muschamp caved to Foley), and obviously trying to fix the holes in the roster that were left due to years of sh!!ty recruiting at key areas.

He refused to change the offense for one person, Treon. Basic coaching 101 is you tailor your scheme to fit your players. Urban had to do it with Leak. Are you saying this coach is above reproach? No one can be critical. He's doesn't make mistakes? Come on man

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He refused to change the offense for one person, Treon. Basic coaching 101 is you tailor your scheme to fit your players. Urban had to do it with Leak. Are you saying this coach is above reproach? No one can be critical. He's doesn't make mistakes? Come on man
The only game that really changed was the NC. Other than that, he added a FB before UGA in '05. He also didn't change it at all for Brantley.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What was there to tailor? Feel free to watch the games again but there were receivers getting open he just couldn't ever pull the trigger or pull it fast enough. He had no vision to throw the ball so what could you do? Run an option offense? Yeah because that could be taught in just a couple of weeks.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
What was there to tailor? Feel free to watch the games again but there were receivers getting open he just couldn't ever pull the trigger or pull it fast enough. He had no vision to throw the ball so what could you do? Run an option offense? Yeah because that could be taught in just a couple of weeks.
Mac should've had a remote control passing arm installed on Treon so that he or Nuss could mash a button and make him throw the ball to the open guy.

That, or go in and take the snaps himself.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac should've had a remote control passing arm installed on Treon so that he or Nuss could mash a button and make him throw the ball to the open guy.

That, or go in and take the snaps himself.
Give me the buttons i once had won 8 national championships in a row on the ole PS2...ran an up tempo no huddle passing attack with a 1,200 yard rusher too...i got this

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Give me the buttons i once had won 8 national championships in a row on the ole PS2...ran an up tempo no huddle passing attack with a 1,200 yard rusher too...i got this

I helped Driskel win the Heisman on my game, I should have the controls. :lol:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

Oh yeah? Well every class I ever recruited I had nothing but 5 star guys. At least 20 in each class. No receivers or qbs under 6'6 either.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Not a good analogy. Urban was working for an entire season and Leak was an excellent QB. Furthermore, Urban had inherited an entire team which mostly didn't fit his system. He did not change the system for one player.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah? Well every class I ever recruited I had nothing but 5 star guys. At least 20 in each class. No receivers or qbs under 6'6 either.
You sound like a good secondary staff option

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Change the system for one player that you don't expect to have in that position after this season, or change it for the rest of the team? Which makes more sense in the long run?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Change the system for one player that you don't expect to have in that position after this season, or change it for the rest of the team? Which makes more sense in the long run?

At the time... the team was in the hunt for a championship.. so I don't think it is crazy to adjust the offense to fit Treon's skill set. I still think McElwain should have put some zone read into the offense to give Treon more ability to make plays. The defenses eventually figured out that all you have to do is keep Treon in the pocket and not let him run and he will either hold the ball forever and take a sack because the first option is covered, make a bad throw to the first option, or throw the ball long hoping for a receiver to make a play.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
n defense of Mac, if you are building for the future, what do you do? He could've completely changed the offense and try to win a game or two more. I grant you that and understand everyone's (including mine) frustration at the time. After giving it some thought, I have changed my mind. Treon was a stop gap. He was a short-term fix. He was duct tape. What we were able to do over the final games was continue to get experience for the other guys on offense. Everyone talks about how important experience is for players. Well, those other guys got experience in Macs offense and not in another offense that they'll never run again. Am I happy about the tight games or losses? Of course not, but if the experience helps us next year and beyond, it was the right choice.

One thought thru my head is Treon's desires. We've read where he is practicing this spring with non-QB activities, and I thought I heard where he was wanting/willing to switch last season perhaps (I can fully see him be willing, but I am unclear if he was wanting it of his own volition). Bottom line, he had experience from 2014 and was the only functional (ha!) backup to Will Greir. I can fully imagine that if he did have a desire to switch positions, Mac would have said no for 2015 and asked TH to hang in there because we very well may need him to play some QB in 2015 (anticipating possibly WG injury with no backups).

Whatever TH's desires may have been, he did the best he could with what he was asked to do given his personal skill set. I'll respect that and appreciate it, regardless of the outcome. But now we have a lot of QBs on campus and we can afford for TH to change positions. Desire from earlier, or perhaps seeing the writing on the wall for 2016 - whatever the reason, he's switching and we have real QBs for 2016 (we hope).

Looking back to 2015, he was indeed a stop gap. Mac is building a new system (a 'process' if you will) with the program. What is the message to kids if the coach changes direction like a drunk taxi driver based on who he has at QB? I think you're dead on in assessing that Mac was willing to take some lumps this season for multiple reasons:

1. He needed to establish his 'process' and not appear wishy washy.
2. He knew we had limitations at QB once WG left, but the rest of the team needed to continue to institute the process and philosophy
3. He knew there wasn't a lot he could do to fix the offense with TH, nor hold back the demoralization of the defense in later games given the deficiencies at on offense and in the kicking game.
4. He knew there wasn't a lot he could do for the bowl game in terms of keeping player focus and intensity when so many had already checked out (won the east, offense and kicking can't get better, defense had already given up). Fighting that would be a tremendous waste of energy on what can be a learning opportunity for the players.

The last bit really sticks in my head. Skill wise we has already hit our ceiling, there wasn't much that could be done. Mentally, you can't make players care about a bowl game when they'd been thru the last 3 games of what we 'played' - but you can let the players take the carefree approach and get their asses handed to them so they know the result of that lack of focus. Those leaving were already gone. The lesson is for the ones returning, that he's counting on to be leaders in the future.

While you want to win every game, reality is that sometimes you can't due to being out skilled, out willed, or out smarted. If you know you can't win a game, then you are working to win the next game and/or season. That's what I took from the coaching in the end of the season - sometimes you know you can't compete, so you work on the foundation for the future.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zone read offenses don't really work with very poor offensive line play. I don't see this as an option, especially since teams were staying home and not coming hard after Treon in the pocket.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zone read offenses don't really work with very poor offensive line play. I don't see this as an option, especially since teams were staying home and not coming hard after Treon in the pocket.

Drop back passing offenses don't work well either... you have to at least try... IMO

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

With an SEC title possibly on the line?

You tell me.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've noticed a lot of "staff" around here lately.
Except this isn't really a video game where you can just switch offenses and defenses wroth one click and everyone automatically knows what to do perfectly. Most of the idiots on this board couldn't qualify to coach the special Olympics

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator