First Time in Gainesville for a game

richman1221

Oct 30, 2023
Hi All,

Heading down for our first game in Gainesville this weekend from up north. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for places to go, restaurants, tailgates, things to do to make it the most authentic experience? We’ve been wanting to come down for a game for years and are very excited!

Thanks!

Rich

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Tailgating is all over, but much of it is on the north side of the stadium along University. Only real advice I’d give is get there really early for a 12:00 game to find parking wherever you can. Depending on where you’re staying would determine restaurants options.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hi All,

Heading down for our first game in Gainesville this weekend from up north. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for places to go, restaurants, tailgates, things to do to make it the most authentic experience? We’ve been wanting to come down for a game for years and are very excited!

Thanks!

Rich
Apparently, wear black.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rich, I hope your trip will be one that makes you want to keep coming back! I made my first trip to a game 42 years ago and eventually started buying season tix. It was addicting. Of course, I was young and single and my inaugural trip included a ride around Gainesville in the back of a pickup, a pass through Pablo’s, Dub’s for drinks and mini-skirts, and finally the first of many stops by Skeeters for a little grease. Game day started with aspirin and beers before seque-ing into a tailgate in the parking lot just east of the stadium and finally on to BHG for the game and associated festivities. It was always a good moment back in those days when the band struck up “Broadway” toward the end, signifying that we had this one wrapped up.

If you‘re coming with family, to include kids, re-creating paragraph 1 or a reasonable facsimile is most likely a no-go. Instead, there are several restaurants that you could order tailgate provisions and take with you to picnic around the stadium and then look in on the Heavener complex, Museum of Natural History, Gator Shops, etc. and then on into the stadium for the game. I hope you all really have a great time.

Last thing, depending on where you park, I wouldn’t get in too big a hurry to leave as it’s usually a snarl getting out. We live NE of Gainesville and usually stopped to eat in Lake City.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Hi All,

Thanks!

Rich
walk up and down Univ Ave. check out the Krishnas , they used to set up north end of stadium. If you are there multiple days Cedar Key is great or was before hurricane. I would def. take kids to Satchels on east side of town. Near Waldo Road. Great food. Best salad. Incredible experience beyond just eating. You have to walk around it all to get full effect.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There is a little place in Micanopy right on I 75 you might want to give a look if you like ugly naked women. Maybe go to Skeeter's late night or Louie's Lunch for lunch or CJ's on Archer road.. Oh wait those places do not exists anymore. It used to be fun. Never mind.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Tailgating is all over, but much of it is on the north side of the stadium along University. Only real advice I’d give is get there really early for a 12:00 game to find parking wherever you can. Depending on where you’re staying would determine restaurants options.
And where to park.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
If you like BBQ, David's on 39th west of 43rd is fast, decent and reasonably priced. You can park for the game for free on a curb south of 8th, east of 22nd and north of the stadium if you get there early (9:00). Parking spots fill up quickly, but it is an easy walk to the stadium and you can usually find a tailgate to crash. Plus it is easy to get to 39th and drive north or south on I-75 after the game. Stay away from 13th as well as University/Newberry Rd after the game unless you like taillights.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
walk up and down Univ Ave. check out the Krishnas , they used to set up north end of stadium. If you are there multiple days Cedar Key is great or was before hurricane. I would def. take kids to Satchels on east side of town. Near Waldo Road. Great food. Best salad. Incredible experience beyond just eating. You have to walk around it all to get full effect.

Good lord, you must still be on some serious pain meds. This guy is driving all the way down from far enough that he’s never been, it’s his first game, and the best thing you can come up with is to see the Krishna’s dancing? Then he’s supposed to drive through 45 min of traffic to eat a $55 pizza in a trailer. And finish the weekend off by going to Cedar Key with no knowledge of what conditions to expect(I mean I guess it has been like 6 weeks since the storm)? You do realize we’d like to have people come back and visit again, right?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Satchels is iconic. You dont eat in a trailer. His kids will love it. Cedar Key aint for city boys I guess. CK does have restaurants open now.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Good lord, you must still be on some serious pain meds. This guy is driving all the way down from far enough that he’s never been, it’s his first game, and the best thing you can come up with is to see the Krishna’s dancing? Then he’s supposed to drive through 45 min of traffic to eat a $55 pizza in a trailer. And finish the weekend off by going to Cedar Key with no knowledge of what conditions to expect(I mean I guess it has been like 6 weeks since the storm)? You do realize we’d like to have people come back and visit again, right?
It's just Coach's way of keeping him from raiding the Dollar General in Brooker!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You can park for the game for free on a curb south of 8th, east of 22nd and north of the stadium if you get there early (9:00). Parking spots fill up quickly,
Always park in that area. You can find parking even later

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well, your mom had a great time with me along with your crazy aunt Julie ( wild one there). Dancing on tables after two of those big draft beers.....

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@richman1221 We can probably be of more assistance if you can give us an idea of what part of town you are staying in. BTW - Don't know if you checked, but a lot of the hotels do shuttles to the stadium. Not good if you are supposed to bring something to a tailgate, but it beats the hell out of finding and paying for parking. If somewhere you think you'd like to eat takes reservations, it's not a bad idea. The night before the Tennessee game we had a large party for my 60th birthday at Spurrier's; couldn't have done it without a reservation.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, your mom had a great time with me along with your crazy aunt Julie ( wild one there). Dancing on tables after two of those big draft beers.....

Yeah, you’re hammered again. I still think you’re terrific, but let’s get back to the subject here—giving an out of towner some Gainesville travel advice that doesn’t have him rubbing shoulders with trannies, fending off strangers with tambourines trying to give his kids candy, and visiting a FEMA camp an hour away that may or may not contain a working restaurant.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's an early game so tailgating may be your go to. My favorite game day stop went away years ago. Burrito Brothers. It was a must at every home game. And as many have said, Satchels is a great one to go to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.