Gator Basketball Florida beats Marshall 73-67

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think it was at the under 8 min TO. We just took a 13 point lead. What followed was two sloppy dribbling turnovers and a last second desperation heave. Maybe I'm misreading it, but compared to the ball movement that got us the 13 pt lead, the dribbling appeared to lack purpose, just dribbling to take time off the clock. Shockingly, we took a few good shots soon after. Still, wvu had taken some momentum and were still in the game because we didn't stick with what was working.

I hear you but if we were up 13 at 8 min and up 11 at 4 min...we were holding our own. It is down the home stretch that MW typically slows it down. My point was that we did not do that this time. Last 4 min we scored 5 of 9 possessions (10 points). That’s a 100 pt pace over a full game and consistent with the 48 points we scored in the 2nd half. (20 minutes).
They closed the gap due to defensive lapses and bad fouls. We did have 2 turnovers in the final 3:00 but that is also consistent with the rate of turnovers for the game (14 in 40 min).

I think what what we all really want is an uptempo transition offense with aggressive pressure defense leading to transition fast breaks. That’s what we are not getting. We are not extending our defense often enough and rarely using full court pressure. I think we are built for that and suspect (hope) that is where we end up.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
A win's a win, but that was an ugly win all the way around. Glover, Bassett, and KJ were my MVPs.
Glover's been a pleasant surprise and has been playing aggressive and without fear for our last few games and has really made a difference on our team with Nembhard and Locke struggling at times.

Bassett showed he can come in and spell Blackshear without a huge drop-off. Also showed what crashing the boards does when you do it: at least 4 of his 6 points were on easy put-backs simply by being in the right position. Our other bigs need to take notice...

Well stated. Glover brings pace and energy and aggressiveness we were expecting from Lewis and Mann. Bassett did a great job on the boards and I think all 6 points were inside put backs. He did take 2 really bad, ill-timed bricks. KJ just keeps getting buckets and rebounds just when we need them.

I also liked that Nembhard was sat down for extended stretches after unforced turnovers.
He came back more focused.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I also liked that Nembhard was sat down for extended stretches after unforced turnovers.
He came back more focused.
and put the game away with his last shot. That little fade away in the lane is money with him. Glover is out to prove who the most impact FR is.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see some semblance of pressure-plays inward to the rim or backboard. See a court general (Nembhard or Glover... or Mann), orchestrating or at least make the opposing defense worry and react to our threats. No bounce passes to big guys inside. Put the passes up overhead where our talls handle the ball., even if you bounce a shot or pass off the backboard. Keep the ball alive and high for our talls. We should be handling the ball where we can put it in the basket. UF Gators have no sense of what they ought to be trying to do. Who is failing to train these players? To practice these guys to develop a reliable "style".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator