***Florida vs Vanderbilt BBALL Game Thread***

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We'll see. Hopefully we beat LSU and UK and won't have to worry about it, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it. We were a 10 seed bubble team per Lunardi before the home loss to Vandy, so you can bet we are now first 4 out.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

A win at LSU, loss at home to UK, win at Mizzou, loss in first round SECT, 19-13 final record has zero percent chance of moving us to a 7/8 seed, zero. It will leave us squarely on the bubble and probably out depending on what the rest of the SEC does.

It's not my opinion, check for yourself, as of today ESPN radio said Lunardi currently projects only 5 spots for the SEC. UK, USC and aTm are in. That leaves 2 spots for Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss, UF, and Bama. Basically you can think of Saturday's game as an elimination game for either UF or LSU however the winner is far from guaranteed a spot in.
Lunardi was interviewed at the halftime of uks game last night and said if Vandy won they would be the last 4 in and Bama would be the first 4 out...also said Florida would still be in (not last 4 in) cause you can't ignore the comp #s...if we win 2 more games before the tourney I think we are in based on his comments the last 2 weeks.. lose to UK and LSU, then we need a bunch of wins in the SEC tourney.

Edit: you also linked CBSs bracketology and not Lunardis... I thought he has us a 9 seed going into the game last night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Lunardi was interviewed at the halftime of uks game last night and said if Vandy won they would be the last 4 in and Bama would be the first 4 out...also said Florida would still be in (not last 4 in) cause you can't ignore the comp #s...if we win 2 more games before the tourney I think we are in based on his comments the last 2 weeks.. lose to UK and LSU, then we need a bunch of wins in the SEC tourney.

Edit: you also linked CBSs bracketology and not Lunardis... I thought he has us a 9 seed going into the game last night

You're right about the link, but it was ESPN radio that said the SEC dropped to only 5 projected in. Of course all of it is just peoples opinions and the committee always throws out some surprises. Finishing the season losing 5 of our last 8 with a first round loss in the SECT would be living very dangerously.

Lets say we beat LSU, lose to UK, beat Mizzou then lose first round of the SECT. Meanwhile LSU loses to us, beats Mizzou, losses to UK but gets 3 wins in the SECT. Who will the committee pick, Ben Simmons star power with a better overall record and 20 wins, or us?

One thing I think we can agree on, a loss at LSU will just about end the discussion.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Look how this team requires those who post here "playing" hard at getting them into
the NCAA tournament instead of playing their own way to a berth.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Look how this team requires those who post here "playing" hard at getting them into

Whatever it takes, Rog, whatever it takes.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
You're right about the link, but it was ESPN radio that said the SEC dropped to only 5 projected in. Of course all of it is just peoples opinions and the committee always throws out some surprises. Finishing the season losing 5 of our last 8 with a first round loss in the SECT would be living very dangerously.

Lets say we beat LSU, lose to UK, beat Mizzou then lose first round of the SECT. Meanwhile LSU loses to us, beats Mizzou, losses to UK but gets 3 wins in the SECT. Who will the committee pick, Ben Simmons star power with a better overall record and 20 wins, or us?

One thing I think we can agree on, a loss at LSU will just about end the discussion.
UK is our ace in the hole so to speak...if we beat them I think 19 wins gets us in, but beating them may be a realllllly long shot

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
UK is our ace in the hole so to speak...if we beat them I think 19 wins gets us in, but beating them may be a realllllly long shot

I agree, and it's a home game which used to mean more than it does of late. A UK win with 19 wins total would be enough. 19 with an LSU road win might be enough, but it might not.

Let's just get this next one. With Hornsby out they are even more just Ben Simmons and a bunch of mediocre players, but they are desperate for a win just like us.

I guess the one good thing about our recent struggles, it really makes each game seem that much more critical.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I find it very sad that we have to exhort this team to play hard. Shouldn't playing hard be a given?
I used to think so but now not so much.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well, despite the fact that this 'team' seems to suck the fun out of the game, we can always come to this thread and get a chuckle out of the posters whitewashing the losses as they mount up. :dance:

P.S. - I don't hate this team or this coach. I want them to succeed, badly. But the more I watch the more I see a square peg being shoved in a round hole. I just don't think White is a good fit. Would love to be proved wrong, the wronger the better... but it aint gonna happen.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, despite the fact that this 'team' seems to suck the fun out of the game, we can always come to this thread and get a chuckle out of the posters whitewashing the losses as they mount up. :dance:

P.S. - I don't hate this team or this coach. I want them to succeed, badly. But the more I watch the more I see a square peg being shoved in a round hole. I just don't think White is a good fit. Would love to be proved wrong, the wronger the better... but it aint gonna happen.
It is pretty funny. I laugh when I read "if we beat Kentucky"

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I find it very sad that we have to exhort this team to play hard. Shouldn't playing hard be a given?
I used to think so but now not so much.
No doubt. From Robinson:
“We just have to take this one on the chest,” Florida sophomore forward Devin Robinson said. “We dropped two games already. So we’ve just got to go back to the drawing board and just come out at LSU ready to play. Come out hard from the jump.
Coming out hard from the jump should be a given, automatic, second nature, ingrained in their brains, etc. What more motivation do these guys need - the threat of not making the dance? We're regularly coming out soft and spotting teams 10 points right off the bat - fix that and we might win one again.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
After the last several games, I've lost hope. No fuggin way we beat UK. I can't see us getting a win at LSU, either.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
After the last several games, I've lost hope. No fuggin way we beat UK. I can't see us getting a win at LSU, either.

Uk is beatable, just need to come out like we did vs WVU. Hopefully a UK player "disrespects us"

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Uk is beatable, just need to come out like we did vs WVU. Hopefully a UK player "disrespects us"
We won't keep it to within 20. Obviously, I hope that's not the case, but I'm just basing it off of what I've seen. We used to at least play defense, but we quit doing that as of late.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
UK is theoretically beatable, but LSU is much more beatable. They're on a 3 game losing streak and should be without their second best player. I like our chances in that one a lot better than against UK, but who knows, maybe you'll actually be right one of these times with your pumper predictions.:dunno:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We won't keep it to within 20. Obviously, I hope that's not the case, but I'm just basing it off of what I've seen. We used to at least play defense, but we quit doing that as of late.

Disagree. I think we will give em a run for their money. Vandy isnt far off talent wise with UK IMO (just have a crappy coach) and we hung with them even at their house

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree. I think we will give em a run for their money. Vandy isnt far off talent wise with UK IMO (just have a crappy coach) and we hung with them even at their house
Vandy isn't in the same hemisphere with UK in regards to talent and they just beat us like a drum. What have you seen in the past few weeks to lead you to believe we can beat UK...or even keep it close?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator