Florida's starting lineup

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n39596 said:
Mushcramp has said all along that he's playing Jones. You should get used to it. Jones will start. Jones will get most of the carries. It matters not that we have elite backs on the team, Jones is a Mushcramp kind of guy. He'll be the starter as long as he's here.... you know, because the defense will get tired of tackling Jones in the 4th quarter.

I've got more bad news for you, Mack Brown may well be second in carries.
Care to place a wager?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906 said:
Our starting OL looks pretty darn good though. Hope they can stay healthy because we got some big boys on that line!
It does? I must have missed that game?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n39596 said:
Mushcramp has said all along that he's playing Jones. You should get used to it. Jones will start. Jones will get most of the carries. It matters not that we have elite backs on the team, Jones is a Mushcramp kind of guy. He'll be the starter as long as he's here.... you know, because the defense will get tired of tackling Jones in the 4th quarter.

What a load of :kiffin:!

Anything is possible but I just don't see KT sitting the bench this year.

Using two or three backs is the best way to keep your backs healthy and involved. Starting doesn't mean anything in my opinion, it's all about number of carries and average gain per carry.

I'll wait several games to see what patterns develop before making ill advised statements about our untested offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906 said:
Our starting OL looks pretty darn good though. Hope they can stay healthy because we got some big boys on that line!
lol

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's gotten that from the WM interview where WM said that " Matt Jones is a big back he's at 235 and will be good late in the 3rd and 4th to pound tired D's", or words to that effect. So in Law's world that means that Jones is the feature back,even though both Roper and WM have said both will be getting carries and splitting reps.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n40054 said:
He's gotten that from the WM interview where WM said that " Matt Jones is a big back he's at 235 and will be good late in the 3rd and 4th to pound tired D's", or words to that effect. So in Law's world that means that Jones is the feature back,even though both Roper and WM have said both will be getting carries and splitting reps.

I think Taylor will get the most carries for sure due to what he showed last season even when defenses were stacking the line against us but Muschamp's previous actions here would lead some people to think Jones will get too many carries considering we have Taylor. If Jones would have stayed healthy last season we probably would still be hearing that Taylor needed to get the playbook down better and work on his blocking before he could be the featured back.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n40054 said:
both will be getting carries and splitting reps
I think many people are of the opinion that they shouldn't be splitting reps, at least not evenly. I'd be in favor of a 95/5 split KT/MJ.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

You should just start watching FSU or UGA....

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah you're right Ox, however going off of what people who have seen them both in the summer and fall open practices,and I'm not talking about Dooley and Andreu, I rarely read anything by either and that by accident, the two of them were even in their productivity. To have two backs who are more than capable who are so different in running styles is nothing but a positive for us. And while a 95/5 split is your opinion a lot of people are like me in that a 50-60/50-40 split is not only more realistic but more beneficial.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n40054 said:

I think Taylor will get the most carries for sure due to what he showed last season even when defenses were stacking the line against us but Muschamp's previous actions here would lead some people to think Jones will get too many carries considering we have Taylor. If Jones would have stayed healthy last season we probably would still be hearing that Taylor needed to get the playbook down better and work on his blocking before he could be the featured back.
It's funny that the two people who were most vocal about KT learning the playbook better were KT and his father.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n40054 said:

Of course they will say the company line. Word was Taylor wasn't feeling good about it taking so long to feature him which was to be expected.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n40091 said:
And while a 95/5 split is your opinion a lot of people are like me in that a 50-60/50-40 split is not only more realistic but more beneficial.
It's only more beneficial if Jones runs a lot better than he did in the past. I guess we'll find out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We can argue this once the season starts but after watching the replays of our offensive plays Jones is simply not a natural as a RB imo and he doesn't punish the defense like most big backs (225 plus) do in the SEC. I will give him the blocking and catching ability but his big runs only seem to come when he has a clear path at the beginning either as a decent hole to run through or a clear path to kick it outside while Taylor makes some nice runs even in tight traffic.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tough crowd.

I remember a game against Georgia in the slop. Wet, muddy, messy. It was 1993. Danny Wuerffel struggled with the wet ball in the first quarter. The HBC noticed in warm-ups that back-up Terry Dean's throws were crisper. Dean's hands were stronger that Wuerffel's and he threw a wet ball better. With Georgia leading by a touchdown in the second quarter, Coach Steve Spurrier benched Danny Wueurffel. Let that sink in kids.

Terry Dean tossed a TD pass to Harrison Houston to tie it up at halftime, then Spurrier unleashed Errict Rhett. He ran like a man possessed, around, over, and through the Georgia defense. Place kicker Judd Davis was perfect scoring 15 points (4 FG and 3 XP) that day, and that performance helped him win the 1993 Lou Groza Award. Most remember the game because of a game-saving time out called by Anthone Lott in the closing seconds of the game.

The take home message? Sometimes the elements determine what happens on the field. A good coach, like the HBC, isn't married to his gameplan. He understands the conditions, he adapts, and he overcomes. Spurrier wanted Danny to throw the ball around and beat Georgia by 30. Spurrier doesn't like kicking field goals. He doesn't like handing it off 40 times a game. But he really, really hates losing. When Danny wasn't connecting through the air, Spurrier adapted to the conditions and prevailed against his bitterest rival.

Is that what we were doing on Saturday? Adapting to the conditions? Oh, I dunno for sure, but I HOPE so. It's hard to by a cut-back, slashing runner in slop. It's hard to throw and catch in a monsoon. Ultimately, the game wasn't played so we don't know for sure. Time will tell. In the interim, let's not judge an entire season based on a tiny sliver of evidence.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well my comments are mostly directed at the possibility Jones is even in the ballpark of the same number of carries as Taylor. You have Muschamp saying crap like whoever practices better that week would be the starter when one of the RB's is clearly better imo.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
aka said:
Some of you are just pathetic. You got all of that from a play that didn't happen in a game that didn't happen. It's gonna be a long season. Again.
Truly amazing, isn’t it? LOL

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:facepalm: With the weather as bad as it was and as late as it was, I fully expected to see us run the ball at least 70% of the game, which would have been the right thing to do.

KT will get just as many carries as Jones, or more, throughout the season, and I highly doubt that Burton will get more snaps than McGee this year. No need to worry or complain about this depth chart or first play. It was a very unusual situation Saturday night.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n40070 said:
I think many people are of the opinion that they shouldn't be splitting reps, at least not evenly. I'd be in favor of a 95/5 split KT/MJ.

The real question is would you feel the same way if KT went down with a knee or hip injury in the 5th game after averaging 25 carries a game. Every good team with a strong running game has at least 3 quality backs splitting reps. See UGA, Bama, LSU and so on.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n40166 said:
The real question is would you feel the same way if KT went down with a knee or hip injury in the 5th game after averaging 25 carries a game. Every good team with a strong running game has at least 3 quality backs splitting reps. See UGA, Bama, LSU and so on.

Those teams let their top backs get the most carries by far over the others unless its a real close call like Bama has this season with their RB situation and have had a few seasons recently. Taylor and Jones is not a close call I would think and we have some other backs that should take some carries from Jones to give Taylor relief.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n40169 said:
Those teams let their top backs get the most carries by far over the others unless its a real close call like Bama has this season with their RB situation and have had a few seasons recently. Taylor and Jones is not a close call I would think and we have some other backs that should take some carries from Jones to give Taylor relief.

Have we seen Jones run healthy? I think Taylor is our best back, but the talent level might be to the point were it is in our best interest to run multiple backs. Spurrier did the same thing in the 1990's when he had three backs who did different things and kept them all fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.