Foley Bashers Rejoice! Foley set to announce retirement today

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's odd, too, because the Sloan I remember from a road trip to Ole Miss was a bit of a control freak. I mean, the guy literally came up to every table at breakfast (the media ate with the team) and poured every single person their glass of OJ. Kind of a father figure. Maybe he got carried away with it. I liked ol' plaid coat. Crusty old dude.
I liked him too - the guy had that fire in him that you like to see from a head coach. I think he saw that he had to bend the rules a little to be competitive enough and was getting UF some BB recognition with the success Moten, Mad Max and Schintzius were having.
Here's ol' plaid coat - RIP.
aec6f1068cb9c8ce1ccb3813558da222.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Arnsparger was an idiot. Anyone that replaces Norm Sloan with Don Devoe deserves to be shot.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Arnsparger was an idiot. Anyone that replaces Norm Sloan with Don Devoe deserves to be shot.
It was right before the season started though, right? So not much time to do a search. and hadn't Devoe been sent walking by Tennessee? But yeah, me and my buddy Joe Stoner were available to step in and coach the team - we coulda done better than DD (7-21).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was right before the season started though, right? So not much time to do a search. and hadn't Devoe been sent walking by Tennessee? But yeah, me and my buddy Joe Stoner were available to step in and coach the team - we coulda done better than DD (7-21).

I guess he made up for it some on the way out with Kruger.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

DeVoe resigned after an opening-round loss in the '89 NCAA Tournament. He was fairly successful at Tennessee, taking them to five tournament appearances in 11 seasons and contributing to the push for a new arena. But Devoe was brought into really what amounted to a no-win situation at Florida, a bunch of temperamental stars who had no use for the new guy with old-school disciplinarian ways. Schintzius quit the team midseason rather than get his hair cut as demanded by DeVoe. More than anything, he was a bad fit.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DeVoe resigned after an opening-round loss in the '89 NCAA Tournament. He was fairly successful at Tennessee, taking them to five tournament appearances in 11 seasons and contributing to the push for a new arena. But Devoe was brought into really what amounted to a no-win situation at Florida, a bunch of temperamental stars who had no use for the new guy with old-school disciplinarian ways. Schintzius quit the team midseason rather than get his hair cut as demanded by DeVoe. More than anything, he was a bad fit.
Yeah but Schintzius was a premadonna d1ckhead. Delivered pizza to him once or thrice and he was a D1ckhead.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but Schintzius was a premadonna d1ckhead. Delivered pizza to him once or thrice and he was a D1ckhead.

Yep, that was the Schintzius I remember, extremely talented and full of himself. Stormin' Norman made a pact with the devil when he recruited Maxwell and Schintzius.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Shaq had the greatest dunk in history.....on Schintzius. You'll never see it again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can you imagine sitting there when that happened? What was that stanchion made of, anyway? :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Three pivotal eras in UF basketball:

1) The Sloan era, 1980-89, begun with the opening of the O'Dome. Wins, recruiting and stature on the rise, but a bad ending because in the end, he was undisciplined.
2) The Kruger era, 1990-96, punctuated by the magical Final Four run in '94. Finally, basketball mattered, but apparently not enough for Kruger, who bolted.
3) The Donovan era, 1996-2015, with two NCAA titles, four Final Four appearances and four SEC Tournament titles and a slew of future NBAers. He made the program waterfront property.

Not sure where we go from there, but you would hope Donovan's work has staying power because ... wow.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Three pivotal eras in UF basketball:

1) The Sloan era, 1980-89, begun with the opening of the O'Dome. Wins, recruiting and stature on the rise, but a bad ending because in the end, he was undisciplined.
2) The Kruger era, 1990-96, punctuated by the magical Final Four run in '94. Finally, basketball mattered, but apparently not enough for Kruger, who bolted.
3) The Donovan era, 1996-2015, with two NCAA titles, four Final Four appearances and four SEC Tournament titles and a slew of future NBAers. He made the program waterfront property.

Not sure where we go from there, but you would hope Donovan's work has staying power because ... wow.

I think Kruger just likes to stay on the move or something. There was really no good reason for him to bolt from K State as he had turned them around and they would have gave him close to what we did if he stayed. Then he bolts from us after good success and that Final Four. I think the reason he gave the press was he couldn't believe we had those empty seats at the O'Dome.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Kruger just likes to stay on the move or something. There was really no good reason for him to bolt from K State as he had turned them around and they would have gave him close to what we did if he stayed. Then he bolts from us after good success and that Final Four. I think the reason he gave the press was he couldn't believe we had those empty seats at the O'Dome.

That was the tail on the dog. He never fully bought in as Donovan did that you could build a national power at a football school.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sloan had bagmen all over the Southeast from his previous time in Gainesville. Anyone else remember the one-armed guy from Altha who drove Moten everywhere?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would you people please quit smearing basketball crap all over a once great thread!!!!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That was the tail on the dog. He never fully bought in as Donovan did that you could build a national power at a football school.
So he ends up at Oklahoma :exactly:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was a senior in high school at Buchholz when the first Final Four happened. It was an absolutely magical run. We damn near beat Duke in the Final Four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.