rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hall got railroaded.

… and kicked in the caboose.
Pell eventually got caught trying to commit suicide.
Didn't we acquire Sloan from the bballl-vaunted ACC ?
My jumper-pumper hope-belief is that White, with a real quick learning curve, turns out to be a
20-year Donovan-ditto.
Da dee datta da Grow Gators.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was a senior in high school at Buchholz when the first Final Four happened. It was an absolutely magical run. We damn near beat Duke in the Final Four.

Of all the exciting moments as a UF fan, that may top the list. I love to recall the late Friday afternoon East semifinal against Donyell Marshall and UConn. We were already the Cinderella story but nobody gave us a snowball's chance of beating the big, bad Huskies. I was doing a trade show at the Convention Center in Tampa and the day's session was over and dozens of people were congregating at a makeshift bar on the second floor that had the game on. The place went crazy as UF began pulling away. I had chills running down my spine. It was so unthinkable at the time.

You couldn't get enough of watching that ragtag bunch elevate and elevate, from Da Meat Hook to Craig Brown to Dan Cross to the local kid, Andrew DeClercq, who could run and jam like a maniac. I loved watching that team as much as any basketball team EVER.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
… and kicked in the caboose.
Pell eventually got caught trying to commit suicide.
Didn't we acquire Sloan from the bballl-vaunted ACC ?
My jumper-pumper hope-belief is that White, with a real quick learning curve, turns out to be a
20-year Donovan-ditto.
Da dee datta da Grow Gators.

1956–1960 The Citadel
1960–1966 Florida
1966–1980 NC State
1980–1989 Florida
Head coaching record
Overall
627–395 (.614)..........Stormin' Norman

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't remember a whole lot about the specifics but wasn't Arnsparger brought in while Florida was serving its previous sanctions prior to Hall. His last two big coaching picks were pretty good with Spurrier in football and Lon Kruger taking us to a final four in basketball. I think it was also under his watch that we went up to the top 5 area in the overall sports standings. I have no idea if he knew about the violations beforehand but I thought some of the ones under Hall an AD would probably not know much about them.

Please don't give Arnsparger credit for Spurrier. He had slightly more say in the decision than I did. He was told who to hire.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, that was the Schintzius I remember, extremely talented and full of himself. Stormin' Norman made a pact with the devil when he recruited Maxwell and Schintzius.

When Randal Leath (6-10) was High School Basketball Coach at P.K. Younge Schintzius would come play pick up games in the gym. Coach Leath was the tallest person I remember seeing at the time, until he would try to cover Schintzius.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sloan had bagmen all over the Southeast from his previous time in Gainesville. Anyone else remember the one-armed guy from Altha who drove Moten everywhere?
The name was Rudolph Rackley. He was a farmer from over in Calhoun county and had some money. He used to sponsor a "semi-pro" basketball team over in Quincy that always had a bunch of collegiate players on it. One guy who played, in addition to Moten, was William Moody. the old-timers will remember him as a freshman on the Gator squad back in '72 I think. He only played one year in Gainesville, as grade problems and class attendance took it's toll, but the guy was the best basketball player I ever saw. Led little Greensboro High School to consecutive state titles in '69-'71. Moody scored 44 against the Varsity Gators that year and was poised to be a pro. wound up transferring to a school in Louisianna and lost an eye in night club incident that wound up thwarting his pro aspirations. He died two weeks ago. Again, he was the best I ever saw play in person.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
One guy who played, in addition to Moten, was William Moody. the old-timers will remember him as a freshman on the Gator squad back in '72 I think. He only played one year in Gainesville, as grade problems and class attendance took it's toll, but the guy was the best basketball player I ever saw. Led little Greensboro High School to consecutive state titles in '69-'71. Moody scored 44 against the Varsity Gators that year and was poised to be a pro. wound up transferring to a school in Louisianna and lost an eye in night club incident that wound up thwarting his pro aspirations. He died two weeks ago. Again, he was the best I ever saw play in person.
What could have been. I remember seeing Moody in the Alley rising up on a drive WAY above everyone to lay in (dunking was out then). My little brother and I just looked at each other like "WE GOT us a player now" And then he was gone. I wish there was some old film of the guy. He was the real deal.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The name was Rudolph Rackley. He was a farmer from over in Calhoun county and had some money. He used to sponsor a "semi-pro" basketball team over in Quincy that always had a bunch of collegiate players on it. One guy who played, in addition to Moten, was William Moody. the old-timers will remember him as a freshman on the Gator squad back in '72 I think. He only played one year in Gainesville, as grade problems and class attendance took it's toll, but the guy was the best basketball player I ever saw. Led little Greensboro High School to consecutive state titles in '69-'71. Moody scored 44 against the Varsity Gators that year and was poised to be a pro. wound up transferring to a school in Louisianna and lost an eye in night club incident that wound up thwarting his pro aspirations. He died two weeks ago. Again, he was the best I ever saw play in person.

I remember the name, but never saw him play...y'all remember Tommy Curtis who went from Leon to UCLA with John Wooden?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What could have been. I remember seeing Moody in the Alley rising up on a drive WAY above everyone to lay in (dunking was out then). My little brother and I just looked at each other like "WE GOT us a player now" And then he was gone. I wish there was some old film of the guy. He was the real deal.
I don't know of any film, but there used to be some good photos of him in the old Greensboro yearbooks (my grandmother taught there). If I can run one down, I'll try to post them on here. There was one in particular that I remember of Moody, almost as you describe, flying in for a layup with his head about even with the rim. He was about 6'2" or so but man could he get up there! His thighs looked like a thoroughbred racehorse's.

I remember the name, but never saw him play...y'all remember Tommy Curtis who went from Leon to UCLA with John Wooden?
I remember him. He could play. Seems like Hugh Durham's F$U bunch played the Bruins for a NC and I also seem to remember them playing JU with Artis Gilmore back in the early '70's. Bad as I hate to say it, the Noles had some decent basketball during that time frame. A lot of Durham's guys played on Rackley's team in Quincy.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a link to an article in the Tallahassee Democrat by Jim Henry about Moody shortly after he passed away if you're interested:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...g-greensboros-moody-complete-player/86214822/

When William Moody played basketball, it was a game to watch. Moody, at 6-foot-3, did it all. He shot long, intermediate and short jumpers. He dunked, 360-degrees style. He played defense. He rebounded. He shared the ball. Legend has it he “made change” by grabbing a quarter from the top of the backboard.

Andrew Moten recalled as a child climbing on the roof of Carter Parramore gymnasium in Quincy and looking through the glass panels, watching Moody and copying his style on playground courts. That was 40-plus years ago. “He was the first player I saw that I wanted to be like,” said Moten, who starred at Florida (1983-87) and helped lead the Gators to their first NCAA Tournament appearance. “There are always players who can do one thing good. He (Moody) was able to do everything good. “He was the complete player.”

Moody, who helped lead tiny Greensboro High to three consecutive Class C state championships (1969-71) and later returned home to mentor youth and coach under Moten at West Gadsden High, died last week. He was 62.

It was on the court where Moody made a name for himself. It’s a name that connects generations. Many believe Moody had the talent to go pro, but as Moody himself said years later in an interview with the Tallahassee Democrat, “life doesn’t always give you those chances.” Life returned Moody to Greensboro, where he played adult league basketball, married Emma nearly 16 years ago and made a difference with area youth. “He ate, slept and breathed basketball,” Emma said. “He watched anything to do with sports, but he loved basketball with a passion. That’s where his heart was.”

When Moten, 50, was hired as the boys basketball coach at West Gadsden six years ago, he asked Moody to join his staff. Shingles said Moody helped him with the game’s fundamentals, from positioning and spacing his fingers correctly on the basketball when shooting to taking proper angles on rebounds.

636021415293767146-Greensboro.jpg

The Greensboro's 33-0 state championship squad of 1970-71. (Photo: Florida High School Records photo)

While Moten and Moody were accomplished scorers in their hey-days – Moten is third all-time in points and seventh in assists on UF’s career lists – their focus was defense. They talked on the telephone for hours on end about basketball. Emma said she’d find the telephone receiver on her sleeping husband’s chest at night. The Panthers were a state runner-up in 2013, and Moody also coached the Panthers’ junior varsity and middle school teams. When Moody’s health started to decline, he instructed players from a chair near courtside. “He was a dear friend who is going to be greatly missed,” Moten said.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Great story, If my brother was alive we would be having a long conversation about Moody. We used to talk about him every few years and how quick and high he could get up. I never knew what happened to him after he left Fla. I do remember those Greensboro teams in class C. My HS was class C back then. Fla basketball may have changed early on had he been able to stay and play those years.
Thanks for the memory and story. Moten was a helluva a player too.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its not much but it's something

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Thank you Jeremy Foley. If the next AD turns out to be as good as Foley then Gator fans will be pleased. Overall Foley gets an A - grade from me as AD. He wasn't perfect but he was very good and he helped turn Florida Gator sports into a national program that rivals the best.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have no earthly idea how to accurately pre-evaluate a perspective AD ?
Seems they'd best hire away some other university's AD with a stellar track record ?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads