Foley Bashers Rejoice! Foley set to announce retirement today

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Hope we get someone with as much class as Foley showed. He did things the right way and we never had to worry if we'd handle things the wrong way (cough, FSU Ole Piss and Baylor).

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, and what better way to send him out than a baseball natty. Get it done boys, starting tonight!

Last edited:

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Hope we get someone with as much class as Foley showed. He did things the right way and we never had to worry if we'd handle things the wrong way (cough, FSU Ole Piss and Baylor).
This is probably the most over looked part of his job that bears mentioning. The guy was a class act all the way when it dealt with the ethical issues that comes with running a big time athletics department. To keep the school free of scandal and blemish is huge deal and not something that should be taken lightly. Congrats Jermey and thank you for all you e done for the Gator Nation!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Athletic directors these days are more of the MBA and a briefcase type than ex-coaches. Back in the nineteen sixties and before you would see guys like Ray Graves holding down both the AD and head football coaching jobs at the same time. But now both jobs are year round full-time jobs that require two very different skill sets and it has been that way for a long time.

Anybody here would want to hire Fory as head football coach? Hell no. Spurrier would make a great television analyst doing one of those game type shows, but not an AD.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier is a young 71 and loves the University deeply. He knows all the players and the inner workings of Foley's job. The A.D. at UF is a CEO with all manner of assistants.

We could do a lot worse than Orr.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tom Jurich has done an amazing job at Louisville.

Honestly, I am surprised that we have so many fans of this guy.

Have you all been paying attention to what is going on at Louisville?
Pitino and hookers?
Petrino, motorcycles, and coeds?

That is what you want?

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'm not a fan of Jurich, but Petrino(freakin spell check) has been able to stay out of trouble since he got the boot at Arkansas for the motorcycle incident.

Petino on the other hand.......

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a fan of Jurich, but Peteino has been able to stay out of trouble since he got the boot at Arkansas for the motorcycle incident.

Petino on the other hand.......

Has he? Or has he learned a little about discretion?
A leopard cannot lose his spots.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Say what you want about him, but there is no denying that he built a juggernaut of an athletics program. It's going to be hard to replace him. A true class act, and a great Gator.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I am surprised that we have so many fans of this guy.

Have you all been paying attention to what is going on at Louisville?
Pitino and hookers?
Petrino, motorcycles, and coeds?

That is what you want?
Winning is obviously important for a school's athletic program, but if that is all there is to it and it is done without care and concern for establishing and maintaining ethical standards (and you can throw morals in there as well), then eventually there will be problems that can become pretty devastating. A "bottom line" mentality used to be what we joked about UMiami, their fans, players (Warren Sapp anyone?), and boosters (Nevin Shapiro et al.). The titles were nice, but nobody self-respecting would want them at that cost. Kind of pains an old dog like me to see so many fans nowadays that don't care what has to be done to get that title, just get it, by damn! Can't help but think you lose a whole lot more than the occasional game when you buy into this mindset.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Winning is obviously important for a school's athletic program, but if that is all there is to it and it is done without care and concern for establishing and maintaining ethical standards (and you can throw morals in there as well), then eventually there will be problems that can become pretty devastating. A "bottom line" mentality used to be what we joked about UMiami, their fans, players (Warren Sapp anyone?), and boosters (Nevin Shapiro et al.). The titles were nice, but nobody self-respecting would want them at that cost. Kind of pains an old dog like me to see so many fans nowadays that don't care what has to be done to get that title, just get it, by damn! Can't help but think you lose a whole lot more than the occasional game when you buy into this mindset.

So two old guys agree that culture and integrity still matter. This attitude is clearly not in fashion anymore but I am sticking to my morals.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley started out in the selling tickets and washing jockstraps and dirty laundry in the locker room. I remember some young dude named Jeremy answering the phone in the ticket office back in the mid 80s when i made a trip back to Gainesville from Atl for a game.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Good comments, but let's hit closer to home. The fallout from violations committed under Pell caused some dark times. Not only did it hurt UF, it aided f$u and scUm recruiting that led to their national success. We don't want to repeat history EVER again and Foley understood that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good comments, but let's hit closer to home. The fallout from violations committed under Pell caused some dark times. Not only did it hurt UF, it aided f$u and scUm recruiting that led to their national success. We don't want to repeat history EVER again and Foley understood that.
No doubt. It was painful to see us on the cusp of overcoming the "wait 'til next year" chant, only see it crash and knock us back down yet again. Say what you want about Foley, but his success is pretty much unparalleled. May have had some setbacks and losses along the way, but the program overall has been free of scandals that have rocked many other universities of late.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt. It was painful to see us on the cusp of overcoming the "wait 'til next year" chant, only see it crash and knock us back down yet again. Say what you want about Foley, but his success is pretty much unparalleled. May have had some setbacks and losses along the way, but the program overall has been free of scandals that have rocked many other universities of late.

I agree completely.
Although it is tempting sometimes when you see widespread cheating and very little punishment, I too prefer the scandal free approach.
I just tell myself that eventually the cheaters will get what is coming. Sometimes the wait is very long..........

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hoping we go after someone "out of house" because Tom Jurich is the guy I want. He would KILL IT at UF!!!

It will be interesting to see how much input Foley has in this process. Jurich is the AD at Louisville... right? Not sure we want somebody that would hire a dirtbag like Petrino a second time...

I'd love for us to steal a guy like Rob Mullens from Oregon, but I don't think that will happen. I think they probably go "in house" even though it might be nice to have somebody who really focuses on facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator