Foley: Best in the business

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting posts from Fever and '78. I don't think Spurrier would have done as good the second time around as Florida. I don't think he could have bagged two more national titles as Meyer did. I don't know. I might be mistaken. It is one of those hypotheticals that no one can answer.

Meyer was fresh. He was an upcoming superstar. He was hungry. Spurrier while far from over the hill had reached the pinnacle of success. Winning the national title is something only a few can do. Once you are at the top it is hard to maintain that level particularly if you take a break from things and try to return to your previous position.

We don't know all the stresses that Spurrier faced at UF towards the end. There were some things he wanted the backing on from the athletic director and administration that he didn't get. As with anybody at the top of a competitive field there are going to be big egos. Spurrier wanted to leave, he said he wanted to go try the NFL. If he was going to come back to UF it was going to be under his terms.

This reminds somewhat of Bobby Bowden and Alabama. Bowden's dream job that he said he wanted all his life was to return to his native state and become the head coach of the Crimson Tide. When the Alabama job came open, Bowden thought Tuscaloosa would come calling. They told him to take an application and get in line for an interview. Bobby told them he liked Tallahassee just fine.

Not sure how it would have worked out but I highly doubt we would have got those 2 National Championships. Teams seemed to be able to defend his passing schemes better then. My guess would be we would have been real good still but nothing like the 1st Spurrier era due to much of the rest of the SEC improving quite a bit. We wouldn't have dealt with that huge Post Tebow dropoff however.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I look at several criteria with Foley, and really don't like what I see when it comes to managing the football program.

I really don't like he didn't back up Spurrier over FSU, swindle, and I also feel he let Machen pick Meyer. Probably thought it was the best move for his job and Spurrier and he probably conflicted a lot by then.

Foley's perception and decision making with Muschamp, ie, not firing him at appropriate times and instead offering him 2 extensions within 2 months making it cost prohibitive to fire him and draining the coffers for 6 million when the inevitable finally happened, was horrible management and negotiation. I can only guess, at the time he thought he couldn't get someone better at the cheap salary he was willing to pay. ( which now reminds me of our low associate coach pay as well)

Finally, a stat I saw reminded me of his probable job performance criteria. The stat said that UF was in the top 10 in net UAA profits. That's nice for Foley and UF.

However, he did it at expense of staying competitive with facilities and instead speaking platitudes about wanting only students who liked our tradition and wanted to be Gators so much they didn't care about facilities ( The fact Mac had to get the nutrition budget doubled (!) is not a good sign. of how things were)
He raised season ticket prices when our games were Muschamp agony to watch.
And then there are those extensions and bonuses which is money that could have gone toward facilities or food. Or coaches salaries. Muscramp made out like a bandit, but other than that...

His bottom line looks good in net profit school comparisions, but I don't care for how he achieves it. It was short sighted for the program although beneficial for him and admin. And didn't someone point out above, that the net profit went down?

That said, I am grateful, the money is being spent now to keep up facilities. Desperation and a persuasive HC who has probably indicated he would take the job and save Foley's legacy IF Foley agreed to certain criteria..

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Teams seemed to be able to defend his passing schemes better then
Check out the last game SOS coached against a pretty good Maryland team. When Rex came in to play it looked like Fla was playing against air with that passing game. i was there,

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Check out the last game SOS coached against a pretty good Maryland team. When Rex came in to play it looked like Fla was playing against air with that passing game. i was there,

I wanted SOS back. Alot of gators disagreed with me. I dont know if we would have won 2 NCs if he came back or not but I remember having high hopes he was coming back. Look what he did at SC with less talent. Once they hired Urban, I knew we were completely done with SOS. I wish Urban hadnt left us in the shape he did and the whole throat thing but I am still appreciative of the two NCs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Foley is very good. The Gators do very well in the SEC which is great but I would like to see more NC's and for men's sports to step it up. When did Gator women's track win an NCAA title?

I believe it was just a few years ago on the women's track national title.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted SOS back. Alot of gators disagreed with me. I dont know if we would have won 2 NCs if he came back or not but I remember having high hopes he was coming back. Look what he did at SC with less talent. Once they hired Urban, I knew we were completely done with SOS. I wish Urban hadnt left us in the shape he did and the whole throat thing but I am still appreciative of the two NCs.

I did not want SOS back. SOS is a great coach and a great Gator, but the pressure on him to win right away if he came back would have been unreal. It was going to be impossible for him to have the same success he had in his first run and therefore people would have been disappointed.

I am also not sure his recruiting would have been at the level needed to compete. Urban was the best hire at the time and I think Foley made the correct call.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, you Foley Haters.... Give me the names of 5 active AD's that you think are BETTER than Foley? Their stats need to back up your key typing. 3-2-1 GO!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama, OSU etc. I could care less what Womens Tennis and Golf is doing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Interesting posts from Fever and '78. I don't think Spurrier would have done as good the second time around as Florida. I don't think he could have bagged two more national titles as Meyer did. I don't know. I might be mistaken. It is one of those hypotheticals that no one can answer.

I'd have to agree with you in that I don't think SOS could have brought us right back into NC contention. It is all hypotheticals, but I think fan expectations would have burned SOS out a lot quicker at UF than they did at USCe. And I believe Meyer was a the right point in his career to drive hard for an NC given the right resources, which UF provided. Those that appreciate the two NC's under Meyer have a right to do so.....I appreciate them too, just not how he did it. Mercenary, that's what he's been called and that's what he was, IMO - hired to win, and he did. SOS on the other hand had a love for Florida, and that (with his winning and wit) endeared him to Gator Nation to where he'd always be wanted. But it is my opinion that SOS gave us his best years, a second round wouldn't have lived up to the expectations - ours, or his of himself.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No one said anything close to that. Just out of morbid curiosity. How many non-football non-basketball title Gator gear do you have? How many women's track national championship t shirts do you own? How many on this board own anything that talks about a Gator national title in other than football or basketball?

As much as I dislike your negativity in a lot of posts, I have to give respect for an accurate and honest post. I love all gator sports, and have some memorabilia for UF Soccer (beyond the FB and BB stuff), but I don't have much. Nor, to your point, is much produced and sold - there just isn't the widespread demand outside of the niche of fans for a non-revenue sport. You nailed this one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No one said anything close to that. Just out of morbid curiosity. How many non-football non-basketball title Gator gear do you have? How many women's track national championship t shirts do you own? How many on this board own anything that talks about a Gator national title in other than football or basketball?

I do, but I know I would be an exception. I have stuff from multiple sports, but I also got to know the staffs of those sports as a kid (parents working on campus) and going to the individual sports camps.

Football is the bread and butter.... basketball was just that sport that covered the offseason until just a couple of decades ago.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer was a great hire its just he was 100% getting hired because of Machen regardless of what Foley wanted. I cant remember a UF President being that talkative about a coaching hire before. Foley may have wanted him also as his top pick (I assume most ADs in the country would have at that time) but you never know. I assume the only real choice at the very beginning would be to hire Spurrier back or to hire Meyer due to his great success. The 2 open ended picks with no clear cut choices is where Foley has failed and the 3rd one is up in the air for a few more years. I hope he got it right this time and think he probably did.

Foley wanted Meyer over Spurrier... because Meyer could grow with the program and Spurrier left Foley is a jam with the way he left with no warning. Machen knowledge of the man made the interview process and sell easier to bring him in.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bama is great at football... they have the best coach in the business and a ton of money coming in from fans.
Didn't the alumni buy Saban a house a year ago?

OSU... they hired Meyer... who we had. I know there are people that will blame Foley for Meyer leaving, but not sure how you can do that. Meyer has won 1 championship with them... that is all and now he is in trouble because Harbaugh is going to make Michigan good.

OSU hasn't done anything in basketball or baseball. Bama hasn't either.

I take pride in being an All Sports school.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Question #2. If the all-sports rankings are a big deal, why are we no longer a big deal?

2016 Capital One cup

Men's Standings
Stanford 106
#2 Clemson 72
#3T Alabama 60
#3T North Dakota St. 60
#5 Syracuse 44
#6 Jacksonville St. 36
#7T Akron 30
#7T Richmond 30
#9T Ohio St. 25
#9T Sam Houston St. 25
#10T Syracuse

Women's standings
Penn State 66
#2 Nebraska 60
#3 Duke 44
#4 Texas 36
#5T Minnesota 30
#5T Florida St. 30
#7 Virginia 28
#8T Kansas 24
#8T Rutgers 24
#10T New Mexico 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_One_Cup_(college_sports)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I dislike your negativity in a lot of posts, I have to give respect for an accurate and honest post. I love all gator sports, and have some memorabilia for UF Soccer (beyond the FB and BB stuff), but I don't have much. Nor, to your point, is much produced and sold - there just isn't the widespread demand outside of the niche of fans for a non-revenue sport. You nailed this one.

Thank you.
Question #2. If the all-sports rankings are a big deal, why are we no longer a big deal?

2016 Capital One cup

Men's Standings
Stanford 106
#2 Clemson 72
#3T Alabama 60
#3T North Dakota St. 60
#5 Syracuse 44
#6 Jacksonville St. 36
#7T Akron 30
#7T Richmond 30
#9T Ohio St. 25
#9T Sam Houston St. 25
#10T Syracuse

Women's standings
Penn State 66
#2 Nebraska 60
#3 Duke 44
#4 Texas 36
#5T Minnesota 30
#5T Florida St. 30
#7 Virginia 28
#8T Kansas 24
#8T Rutgers 24
#10T New Mexico 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_One_Cup_(college_sports)

This can't be true. We are all-around the best in all of the universe. The math must be wrong.

OR...after the spring sports are done we probably get a bunch of points.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think someone's seen their best days.

Of course, that could be me. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.