Foley Headed To Ft. Collins - Jim McElwain to be hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
alcoholica;n123321 said:
If you ever catch Shane Matthews on the golf course with a few beers in him, you can probably get him to tell you that there were an estimated 30 felonies that were swept under the rug during UM's regime. I say "felonies" because I seriously doubt Shane knows what constitutes a felony. So basically 30± arrestable offenses went unreported. I think UM's actual arrest tally was over 30 for his time here. Those '07 to '09 teams were barely held together by Tebow and Spikes, from a locker room perspective. I understand that Stamper contributed a lot to leadership as well.

He was widely known to dislike Meyer both personally and in terms of the offense he ran. Factor in the beer math, and you probably end up with about what is reported.

The logic just doesn't work. If we were willing to sweep felonies(or real crimes) under the rug, why would we have the Dunlap situation right before the biggest game of the year? Why was our starting returner arrested for buying weed in '07? Or how about guys like Cam and Torey Davis getting booted at critical positions?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there was locker room discord and probably drug tests that were postponed/ignored, etc. Meyer had clearly lost control of things. But crimes are crimes. He didn't turn a blind eye or actively try to cover things up. Again, as I said, if that were the case we never would've allowed CD's arrest to affect us the way it did.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
TheDouglas78;n123213 said:
Again doesn't answer the question. Do you think he is a top 5 coach, because you want to give top 5 money. He best two top teams in the last two years. He also lost to teams that were just as middling as his. So yes, two games make his whole carreer at Ole Miss. If he didn't happen to beat Alabama his year at home, would you even care? What else do you have to prove he deserves to be paid as a top 5 coach. We aren't talking about the other guy. What makes Freeze a top 5 head coach in FBS?

(1) Freeze has been a successful HC at an SEC school
(2) That success comes at a historically competitively challenged school, in what is probably college football's toughest neighborhood. (Alabama, Auburn and LSU have what, 4 or 5 national championships in the past 10 years?)
(3) He's a proven recruiter, despite the competition.
(4) He's a young up-and-comer.

Here's the kicker:
... of the coaches who are Hot Prospects (due to 1,2,3,4),
AND
are (were) legitimately in the market THIS year for a change of jobs
... Freeze is in the Top 5 of the available talent.

And since the pool of "close to home run" coaches is so tiny .. it's a seller's market.

You certainly don't have to pay Top 5 money to a guy like that who is "not proven." That's a choice you can make or not make.

But you won't land your guy unless you do. It's the ante required to play in the game at the highest levels.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123277 said:
Salaries have changed in college FB-even for Tier 2 programs. We have to keep up with the times. Saban's next contact is going to be much different than it is now.

He gets paid more than a million more than the next coach in college football, how much do you really think it's going to change?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Is there a next contract? Think he's signed up for a while. May be his last stop.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123277 said:
Salaries have changed in college FB-even for Tier 2 programs. We have to keep up with the times. Saban's next contact is going to be much different than it is now.

How many "tier" 1 programs do you think they are and what do you think the average salary is for those coaches?

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not to be the Grinch....but, let us all remember when Foley took off from G-Ville to go get Stoops and came back home with Zook.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm...
@ThomasGoldkamp: Smaller planes UAA uses typically file flight plans 1-2 hours in advance of departure. Nothing filed yet for plane Foley flew out on.
@MattStephens: Florida in final stages of negotiating Jim McElwain buyout

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Probably have to do a little shopping. Need a nice Orange and/or Blue tie.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown;n123347 said:
(1) Freeze has been a successful HC at an SEC school
(2) That success comes at a historically competitively challenged school, in what is probably college football's toughest neighborhood. (Alabama, Auburn and LSU have what, 4 or 5 national championships in the past 10 years?)
(3) He's a proven recruiter, despite the competition.
(4) He's a young up-and-comer.

Here's the kicker:
... of the coaches who are Hot Prospects (due to 1,2,3,4),
AND
are (were) legitimately in the market THIS year for a change of jobs
... Freeze is in the Top 5 of the available talent.

And since the pool of "close to home run" coaches is so tiny .. it's a seller's market.

You certainly don't have to pay Top 5 money to a guy like that who is "not proven." That's a choice you can make or not make.

But you won't land your guy unless you do. It's the ante required to play in the game at the highest levels.

(1) 3-5,3-5,5-3 as SEC records are successful? He has done well against most of the teams he should beat, Vanderbilt (annual opponent), Texas El-Paso, A bad Texas team, etc... But one win against Alabama and a good victory last year against LSU he is the second coming of Spurrier or Meyer to you? He is a decent coach, coaching where he should be coaching.

(2) Which is why there have been at least 3 different coaches with higher SEC winning percentages than him the last 30 years.

(3) proven recruiters who has had one class that is better then the normal classes they have had for the last 15 years

(4) He is young, hasn't proven he is an up and comer. He has done well making Mississippi what it always has been a middle school in the SEC, congrads. Tumberville, Cutcliffe, and Nutt all had seasons better than his best season thus far.

The rest of your comment have nothing to do with his own creditials. Would you pay Lamborghi money for something not shown more than a Accord? Weither he is a top 5 available coach (which you can't prove) doesn't mean he is a top 5 coach. It just says you feel its a poor year of available coaching talent. You are paid for the skill you current possess, which so far has shown he is similar to Zook. A guy that can win a game he isn't supposed to (Alambama this year, and LSU last year) and lose games he shouldn't (TAM this year, Mississippi State last year). We have people claiming we hire him, here comes multiple championships. Do you watch how he handles clock management? The lack of a running threat (year 3) his problem.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123301 said:
I do know this: If you really believed nobody contacted anybody before this weekend, I've got some swamp land to sell you.

dude, never said that. i'm positive a LOT of people have been contacted. called due diligence.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n123376 said:
(1) 3-5,3-5,5-3 as SEC records are successful? He has done well against most of the teams he should beat, Vanderbilt (annual opponent), Texas El-Paso, A bad Texas team, etc... But one win against Alabama and a good victory last year against LSU he is the second coming of Spurrier or Meyer to you? He is a decent coach, coaching where he should be coaching.

(2) Which is why there have been at least 3 different coaches with higher SEC winning percentages than him the last 30 years.

(3) proven recruiters who has had one class that is better then the normal classes they have had for the last 15 years

(4) He is young, hasn't proven he is an up and comer. He has done well making Mississippi what it always has been a middle school in the SEC, congrads. Tumberville, Cutcliffe, and Nutt all had seasons better than his best season thus far.

The rest of your comment have nothing to do with his own creditials. Would you pay Lamborghi money for something not shown more than a Accord? Weither he is a top 5 available coach (which you can't prove) doesn't mean he is a top 5 coach. It just says you feel its a poor year of available coaching talent. You are paid for the skill you current possess, which so far has shown he is similar to Zook. A guy that can win a game he isn't supposed to (Alambama this year, and LSU last year) and lose games he shouldn't (TAM this year, Mississippi State last year). We have people claiming we hire him, here comes multiple championships. Do you watch how he handles clock management? The lack of a running threat (year 3) his problem.

If you don't think he's an up and comer...wow...you're just being obstinate.

Freeze=Zook????

Are you reading what you are typing?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting tidbit. CSU scored 18 pts. in the final 3 minutes of their last bowl game, for the comeback WIN.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Here is my concern. If JF flys back with him as our HC, that means that he was our top choice and others like Stoops, Kelly (both of them), and any "NFL" coach were not. Why does that concern me? To be honest I think he is not the best out there. Maybe the best that we can hire this week, but not the best out there. I would love to have either of the Kellys.
Now who is going to be the OC, QB, and WR cocahes? I think these are more than likely more important hires than the HC if Durkin and T-Rob stay. I would like a young OC with a track record of success and QB and WR coach that can actually make some improvement at those positions.....Kerwin Bell comes to mind for QB Coach...maybe OC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n123383 said:

Or looking at what his body of work has done. It's year three at Ole Miss.... he is only 2 wins above where Muschamp was at this point at Florida with a weaker out of conference schedule. He might still prove to be really good, but so far he has just proven he has done what others have done at Mississippi. Mississippi isn't devoid of talent averaging approximately the 19th ranked class over the last 15 years. It's not Florida talent, but it's not Arkansas talent either. They are the flagship university in Mississippi (which isn't like Florida/Alabama etc) but lets not pretend they are surrounded by Montana, Idaho, North/South Dakota talent wise in their natural recruiting area either.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n123388 said:
Here is my concern. If JF flys back with him as our HC, that means that he was our top choice and others like Stoops, Kelly (both of them), and any "NFL" coach were not. Why does that concern me? To be honest I think he is not the best out there. Maybe the best that we can hire this week, but not the best out there. I would love to have either of the Kellys.
Now who is going to be the OC, QB, and WR cocahes? I think these are more than

likely more important hires than the HC if Durkin and T-Rob stay. I would like a young OC with a track record of success and QB and WR coach that can actually make some improvement at those positions.....Kerwin Bell comes to mind for QB Coach...maybe OC.
:facepalm:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n123383 said:

Freeze=Zook????

Are you reading what you are typing?

:wobble: do you whine to just whine? Or do you look at facts before you decide to just go the opposite direction.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
LagoonGator68;n123391 said:

???? You mean to tell me that all the fault of the last four years are on Muschamp? Not that we went through 3 OCs and have not had a real WRs coach in what 2 of those three years? Plus if we are going to be sucessful we will need a great QB coach to ensure that these young QBs will be sucessful early and often. Or is it that you don't think K.Bell is a good coach and couldn't be a QB coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.