Foley heard rumblings Donovan wasn't happy...

Dec 10, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75;n219206 said:

Mainland, I have no clue when the coaching search started, but I don't see a source in any of these articles you are posting. That ABC article just says that without a source. You have to be careful on relying on any modern journalism.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n219205 said:
Why do you people keep saying conspiracy?
So the sudden cancellation of facilities upgrade in February, on the heels of the about face on football fac upgrades in January is just a coincidence?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Donovan was brought to UF by Foley and remained for 19 years. Donovan must have been one unhappy dude.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n219212 said:
So the sudden cancellation of facilities upgrade in February, on the heels of the about face on football fac upgrades in January is just a coincidence?
How is that a conspiracy? A conspiracy requires a couple of people to agree to do something secret and usually illegal. I'd think postponing a facilities upgrade AGAIN, publicly announcing the delay....

Forget I asked.

Emmitt

Sep 8, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75;n219034 said:
"The Gators have been collecting information on potential successors since at least February..."
https://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ovan-departure

"We heard some undercurrents that this [was] a possibility, so we began looking at coaches probably several weeks ago," Foley said." May 4th, 2015.

Jesus Christ, Dude. Did even bother to watch the video associated with the article you posted? This first quote is directly related to the possibility of the Oklahoma city job opening up and has **** all to do with Billy being happy or not. The rest of the quotes you posted mean exactly nothing. This is truly pathetic.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Foley...Foley...Foley...it is time for him to move on. We should be talking about BB and FB not a freaking AD. I said a while back his ego has gotten too big and he needs to retire. If he had anything to do with Billy being unhappy then off with his head. He screwed the football program...twice. That alone should get him fired. Muscrap is one of the worst hires of all-time.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Emmitt;n219244 said:
Jesus Christ, Dude. Did even bother to watch the video associated with the article you posted? This first quote is directly related to the possibility of the Oklahoma city job opening up and has **** all to do with Billy being happy or not. The rest of the quotes you posted mean exactly nothing. This is truly pathetic.

:lol:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What Mainland_Buc has stated is, without a doubt, correct to some degree. I was aware of this some time ago, and in another thread alluded to it. Donovan and Foley had words about this very thing. There were contributors lined up and the O-Dome upgrades were a go. Why they (Foley) put the kibosh on the work is open to speculation. But the fact is, Billy was extremely unhappy and Presti was able to get his man.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n219260 said:
What Mainland_Buc has stated is, without a doubt, correct to some degree. I was aware of this some time ago, and in another thread alluded to it. Donovan and Foley had words about this very thing. There were contributors lined up and the O-Dome upgrades were a go. Why they (Foley) put the kibosh on the work is open to speculation. But the fact is, Billy was extremely unhappy and Presti was able to get his man.
Hearsay, your excellency
the designs were only 60% complete and there were already severe cost overruns. That is why a new contract manager was acquired and a 1 yr. delay was recommended by the new President. Football lost a lot of practice time last year due to lightning is the reason for the ipf being expedited, as with the O Dome closed football would have no place to go inside.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n219268 said:
Hearsay, your excellency
the designs were only 60% complete and there were already severe cost overruns. That is why a new contract manager was acquired and a 1 yr. delay was recommended by the new President. Football lost a lot of practice time last year due to lightning is the reason for the ipf being expedited, as with the O Dome closed football would have no place to go inside.

Hahaha.
Not hearsay.
Fact.
The project was delayed.
Donovan was unhappy.
Foley contacted Lon Kruger.
Donovan and Foley had words.
Donovan left.
Stuff happens.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n219273 said:
Hahaha.
Not hearsay.
Fact.
The project was delayed.
Donovan was unhappy.
Donovan left.
Stuff happens.
I'll take your word for it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n219273 said:
Hahaha.
Not hearsay.
Fact.
The project was delayed.
Donovan was unhappy.
Donovan left.
Stuff happens.

If this is even remotely true I hope they put Foley out to pasture.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can hear the explanation: We can't update the O dome, bc football needs it as an IPF. We don't need an IPF because we have the Odome.

Voila! Stuck in 1989 forever! I'll bet Miami has eyes on Fooley once he gets fired from here.

The Odome should have been bulldozed in 2000 at the latest.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n219273 said:
Hahaha.
Not hearsay.
Fact.
The project was delayed.
Donovan was unhappy.
Donovan left.
Stuff happens.

If there really was a money crunch for a while that made Foley choose between delaying one of the 2 projects then Foley was smart to take care of the IPF first. I don't care for him a whole lot but that would have been the right call.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n219323 said:
If there really was a money crunch for a while that made Foley choose between delaying one of the 2 projects then Foley was smart to take care of the IPF first. I don't care for him a whole lot but that would have been the right call.

That certainly may have been the issue, but Donovan still didn't like it. It is my understanding, though, that the money issue was resolved in the form of a couple of sizeable donations.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n219323 said:

He really can't win here. Had he kept up with the jones's he wouldn't have had to choose. Again, if this is anywhere close to the truth then he should be forced into retirement. No one is going to fire him but it is apparent to me that's he's lost a step in the SEC. Too little too late.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Is it possible that a confluence of factors led to Donovan's vamoose ? Did he feel frustration with this year's team that
couldn't be "coached up" and see that he/UF couldn't recruit much better in the future. Then he gets a greater pay offer
with new excitement and knowing he can always come back "on top" as a college coach.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n219331 said:
Is it possible that a confluence of factors led to Donovan's vamoose ? Did he feel frustration with this year's team that
couldn't be "coached up" and see that he/UF couldn't recruit much better in the future. Then he gets a greater pay offer
with new excitement and knowing he can always come back "on top" as a college coach.

UNC, UK...Duke? He's a college guy through and through. He'll end up at one of those schools or be successful in the pros. Billy is in a win/win.

I have never been more appreciative of the 90's & 00's then right now.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
ufgator812;n219273 said:
Hahaha.
Not hearsay.
Fact.
The project was delayed.
Donovan was unhappy.
Donovan left.
Stuff happens.
Foley contacted Lon once he found out Billy D was unhappy and before he knew Billy D was wavering? That's smart...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of theories, rumors and plain old speculation in this thread. No one knows for sure. I seriously doubt Donovan was as unhappy as some are alluding here, but I do think he was feeling the impact of years, to the point of possibly feeling stale. Not the first time I've said that, nor should it come as a shock to anyone who's been around the block a few times. Nineteens years is a long time to spend anywhere, let alone at a football factory trying to build your own legacy, for which Donovan succeeded beyond everyone's wildest imagination. He can leave with no regrets, and that's an important consideration here.

As for the impact of the suspended O'Dome renovations, I think it was icing on the cake rather than a precipitating factor. Donovan's probably known for three or four years that he wanted to try the NBA again. IIRC there was a five-year moratorium on his seeking NBA employment again after the 2007 fiasco, and I think the successive Elite Eight appearances coupled with the Final Four berth a year ago with a team that so epitomized what he was all about helped renew him somewhat, just not enough.

At age 50, and with the right opportunity knocking at his door, the timing was right for him to move. It wasn't out of spite -- he spoke of the difficulty in leaving behind the Gainesville experience and the many, many meaningful relationships he'd built over time -- but rather because this is where he wanted to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.