Former Coach Hatred Rankings

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Looking at a couple other threads, I thought this might deserve its own in the last couple days before we are officially in Game Week for the 2023 season.

Jumping in, if rating hated former coaches, here is my order and rationale:

1. Zook, maybe not his fault for being so mentally limited at birth, but god I hated him. His falling between two great coaches just highlighted his utter buffoonery. I've encountered him since, including at an event with several other coaches. He stands out amongst them as the one everyone else is laughing at (not with, which would be Spurrier). He's like the kid in elementary school who would eat dirt, all the kids would laugh and him, he would think he had friends, and just go home alone with a dirty face. Perhaps also because it was so strongly my first hate, just like a first love.

2. McElwain. Totally incompetent, bullyish, pompous, yet awkward, perhaps Asperger's, dick. The no socks, I just am so relaxed that I don't give a damn false persona was an obvious failure at Florida from his first press conference. I think what places these two highest is that it was so obvious from the first 5 minutes of their press conference that we would be failing for years. That is a dooming feeling and these two dumb-a$$es elicited that immediately.

3. Muschamp. All I can say here is it is stunning to me that I could have two coaches I hate more than this total a$$hole. This is more a reflection on how inept the first two are (and why Foley is higher than all of them for possibly greenlighting either of the two preceding coaches). But, while Muschamp's game planning and program theme were so antithetical to what Florida football should be and what our HS talent excel at - this is a current concern with Napier too - he kept us competitive until near the end. Foley fired him an obvious year too late when everyone else saw where it was going. If he gets fired one year earlier, we may hate him less, hire James Franklin, and even if Franklin never wins it all, he does not sink to the depths of the idiots that followed. Plus, Franklin's persona may have worked better at Florida than psu.

4. Mullen. Repeat what I said about it being unbelievable how many coaches I have on the hated list more than this pompous, 1992 -esque, oversized pleated khakis, ridiculous attempt to be cool with daddy Jordan wearing, social reject, who wouldn't make the tough calls just out of spite. He did make the offense a bit more fun, even if defense was infuriating and the I'll show you how smart I am nonsense nearly broke many TVs.

If rating AD's, I might hate Scotty the most, between his punchable smirking face while lying to us about where donated money will go, his Ms. St. fake aw shucks demeanor and accent, and 2001-esque, douchebag, C- fraternity look, tucked in collared shirt look.

I may need to see a professional about the benefits of harboring all this hatred. For now, venting to you all will have to do.

Hope Napier does not get added to this list. Right now, though, it feels close to Muschamp 2011 without the Mid-Line conceit (which is a huge upgrade). I mean, he makes sense conceptually as a hire, even if it is not at all exciting and his style doesn't seem to match Florida football at all (I mean UF and HS Florida football). He's laid some very good groundwork and works hard recruiting. You could say similar things about Muschamp until his last two seasons. But, like Muschamp, there are some early concerns regarding game plan concepts, playing it safe, trying to win with plodding offense, unexplainable ingame time management choices, etc.

We will see. The start is certainly more mixed than Muschamp with higher spots to look at for future success, but lower spots in games too (certainly left with less than the dwag was). Napier's foundation seems so far ahead of everyone on the list above, he works hard, and even if he fails, I find it will be hard to hate him............................for now.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
smfh...........have we not denigrated and lambasted and cried, cussed , screamed, whined, yelled, etc
The only coach that ever galled me was the guy that took over for Sloan and ruined a very talented BB team at UF
It was like hiring Frank Burns to run the 4077 MASH unit. I will remember his name soon........

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
2, 4, 3, and 1... with 3 being well after 2 and 3, and 1 being well after 3. I'll just never bash Zook. He wasn't a pretender/fraud, no one thought of him as being a top tier HC (or any tier HC. He got hired, he tried, he didn't get us into probation trouble at a critical time, and he recruited well for Meyer. The other 3 on the list were all sold to the world as HCs, unfortunately, we bit.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with your rankings. Zook was basically the perfect coach to follow an absolute legend, because nobody good in their right mind was going to take that job after Spurrier. Zook did his best, really cared, but was a sacrificial anode.

McElwain was just totally out of his league, above his pay grade, and didn’t have the emotional intelligence to know it, and reacted like a petulant child. McElwain didn’t hire McElwain, and he at least tried, no matter how bad his “trying” was.

Muschamp was a tool, but again - Peter Principle. Being the “coach in waiting” at Texas gave his stock an inappropriate boost but the guy was and is clearly a defense guy and that’s as good as he’ll ever be. He also tried.

Mullen is the biggest POS by a large margin in this list. The arrogance of that guy coupled with his total lack of effort makes him by far the worst coach on this list. His schtick was lame (the Darth Vader thing? GMAFB), his lack of discipline, and the smugness of it all was infuriating.

The ranking is:

1. Mullen
2. Mullen
3. Mullen
4. Mullen
5. Mike White
6-8. McElwain, Muschamp, then Zook

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
smfh...........have we not denigrated and lambasted and cried, cussed , screamed, whined, yelled, etc
The only coach that ever galled me was the guy that took over for Sloan and ruined a very talented BB team at UF
It was like hiring Frank Burns to run the 4077 MASH unit. I will remember his name soon........
Let me guess, like with Schintzius, DeVoe told you to get a haircut too?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Muschamp/Butters/Mullen
Zook

In all fairness to Zook he brought in equal amounts of talent on both sides of the ball which is something none of the other 3 did creating massive imbalances that take 2-3 years to correct. You could say Zook was just not a good motivator or game planner....but none of the 4 were consistently good at that.

Something that sticks out to me to this day was the decision that idiot Butters made by throwing Grier off the team...Can you imagine our 2018 offense with him at QB? We had Jefferson, Swain, Hammond, Pitts, Toney, and Grimes at WR...Perine, Pierce and Scarlett at RB and the best offensive line we've had in the last 14 years....Guarantee we would have been a playoff team and Grier walks offstage in NY with the Heisman Trophy in hand.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp/Butters/Mullen
Zook

In all fairness to Zook he brought in equal amounts of talent on both sides of the ball which is something none of the other 3 did creating massive imbalances that take 2-3 years to correct. You could say Zook was just not a good motivator or game planner....but none of the 4 were consistently good at that.

Something that sticks out to me to this day was the decision that idiot Butters made by throwing Grier off the team...Can you imagine our 2018 offense with him at QB? We had Jefferson, Swain, Hammond, Pitts, Toney, and Grimes at WR...Perine, Pierce and Scarlett at RB and the best offensive line we've had in the last 14 years....Guarantee we would have been a playoff team and Grier walks offstage in NY with the Heisman Trophy in hand.
But, but Clarabelle and Del Taco can get it done. Pretty kewl.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have nothing but love for Ron Zook. Dude was humble, worked his ass off, recruited about as well as Meyer, never had a losing season, never lost to UK or Vandy, went to a bowl every year, and ran a clean program. He just couldn't put it all together and was a below average head coach.

The other three were pretty much the exact opposite of Zook.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have nothing but love for Ron Zook. Dude was humble, worked his ass off, recruited about as well as Meyer, never had a losing season, never lost to UK or Vandy, went to a bowl every year, and ran a clean program. He just couldn't put it all together and was a below average head coach.

The other three were pretty much the exact opposite of Zook.

I don't HATE Ron Zook, but let's ease up on the hagiography.

Perhaps you've forgotten about that time he tried to fight an entire fraternity? That's really poor judgement from a HC.

Or his first year when Grossman and Taylor Jacobs would resort to eye-wink audibles from Spurrier's system because the system they were running (Zaunbrecher) sucked? They weren't allowed to do it, and they'd get bitched out for it, even if it resulted in a big play for us.

Ingle Martin at QB? (and I'm an Ingle Martin fan)

Throwing bubble screens behind the LOS over and over and over and over...?

So many bad losses...that Hail Mary at the half against Tennessee still sticks in my craw.

He wasn't a program destroyer like Muschamp, McElwain, or Mullen, but he wasn't a program maker like Spurrier or Meyer. He was (as the kids say today) "mid" bordering on "sus".

Alex.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Muschamp/Butters/Mullen
Zook

Agree on both parts. Also on Grier, forget 2018. We may have been a playoff team in ‘15 if he’d played all year. Even as it was we technically entered the fsu game 2 wins away from a birth. If Grier stays, and OM doesn’t allow a desperation backwards heave by that Arkansas TE which was advanced to convert a miraculous 4th and forever, we would’ve been facing the Rebels in Atlanta after destroying them at home earlier in the year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Least hated: Zook recruited well and left a ton of talent. No really embarrassing losses. He made the mistake of following a legend. He was a "players" coach.

Most hated: Muschamp - he started all the bad. Never has there been a coach who accomplished so little with so much. Used car salesman and a fricking leghumper.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
As I've written before, Zook in year 2 faced 7 teams in 13 games that finished in the top 15. No coach has had a schedule that hard. Wasn't a good coach, but 8-4 regular season with that is better than we've seen from most performances accounting for schedule difficulty we've seen from the other ones. At least he recruited well and we didn't hear any bs after his tenure about players having to pay for their own S&C program away from the program or most the stuff from that IAKOW Mullen article.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Looking at a couple other threads, I thought this might deserve its own in the last couple days before we are officially in Game Week for the 2023 season.

Jumping in, if rating hated former coaches, here is my order and rationale:

1. Zook, maybe not his fault for being so mentally limited at birth, but god I hated him. His falling between two great coaches just highlighted his utter buffoonery. I've encountered him since, including at an event with several other coaches. He stands out amongst them as the one everyone else is laughing at (not with, which would be Spurrier). He's like the kid in elementary school who would eat dirt, all the kids would laugh and him, he would think he had friends, and just go home alone with a dirty face. Perhaps also because it was so strongly my first hate, just like a first love.

2. McElwain. Totally incompetent, bullyish, pompous, yet awkward, perhaps Asperger's, dick. The no socks, I just am so relaxed that I don't give a damn false persona was an obvious failure at Florida from his first press conference. I think what places these two highest is that it was so obvious from the first 5 minutes of their press conference that we would be failing for years. That is a dooming feeling and these two dumb-a$$es elicited that immediately.

3. Muschamp. All I can say here is it is stunning to me that I could have two coaches I hate more than this total a$$hole. This is more a reflection on how inept the first two are (and why Foley is higher than all of them for possibly greenlighting either of the two preceding coaches). But, while Muschamp's game planning and program theme were so antithetical to what Florida football should be and what our HS talent excel at - this is a current concern with Napier too - he kept us competitive until near the end. Foley fired him an obvious year too late when everyone else saw where it was going. If he gets fired one year earlier, we may hate him less, hire James Franklin, and even if Franklin never wins it all, he does not sink to the depths of the idiots that followed. Plus, Franklin's persona may have worked better at Florida than psu.

4. Mullen. Repeat what I said about it being unbelievable how many coaches I have on the hated list more than this pompous, 1992 -esque, oversized pleated khakis, ridiculous attempt to be cool with daddy Jordan wearing, social reject, who wouldn't make the tough calls just out of spite. He did make the offense a bit more fun, even if defense was infuriating and the I'll show you how smart I am nonsense nearly broke many TVs.

If rating AD's, I might hate Scotty the most, between his punchable smirking face while lying to us about where donated money will go, his Ms. St. fake aw shucks demeanor and accent, and 2001-esque, douchebag, C- fraternity look, tucked in collared shirt look.

I may need to see a professional about the benefits of harboring all this hatred. For now, venting to you all will have to do.

Hope Napier does not get added to this list. Right now, though, it feels close to Muschamp 2011 without the Mid-Line conceit (which is a huge upgrade). I mean, he makes sense conceptually as a hire, even if it is not at all exciting and his style doesn't seem to match Florida football at all (I mean UF and HS Florida football). He's laid some very good groundwork and works hard recruiting. You could say similar things about Muschamp until his last two seasons. But, like Muschamp, there are some early concerns regarding game plan concepts, playing it safe, trying to win with plodding offense, unexplainable ingame time management choices, etc.

We will see. The start is certainly more mixed than Muschamp with higher spots to look at for future success, but lower spots in games too (certainly left with less than the dwag was). Napier's foundation seems so far ahead of everyone on the list above, he works hard, and even if he fails, I find it will be hard to hate him............................for now.
Based on your personal rankings (opinions) which you are entitled to, how in the world can you dislike Strichnine more than Fooley? Yes Strichnine is totally incompetent and a complete moron, but the first 3 names on your list have exactly one thing in common: FOOLEY. And far be it from me to know the exact job description of an AD, but this much I do know. Job #1 of any AD in the SEC is Football. It is probably numbers 2-50 as well. Nothing else matters if #1 is not working.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
EDIT: that ****ing UGA plant Duncechump is #1 I made this list in haste earlier

2. McElwain. Arrogant cocksucker who made up death threats.

3. Pell. He may have built it, but cheated his ass off to do it. He can rot in hades.

4. Mullen. Arrogance destroyed him.

5. Meyer. Lying POS.

Last edited:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The name you’re looking for is Don DeVoe.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. muschamp - didn't like him from day one. Incompetent buffoon.

2. Mullen - what grown up quits on the job but keeps coming to work? Decided to cash out without telling anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator