Former Mississippi State DL Coach David Turner to Florida

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Crazy that Fletcher Cox was only a 240 lb DT when he got to Mississippi State.

It's called player development. I know that's something we haven't seen much of around here lately so it's easy to forget what that is.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Honestly, I have no idea about 95% of the position coaches across the country. Just glad we got someone to hopefully help finish off this recruiting class with a bang instead of a wimper.

This. There's only so much hoopla a position coach is going to have. I'm sure there are names that may have been more of a splash, but I couldn't tell you the DL coach's name on any of the final 4 teams(assuming Oklahoma actually does employ one). Hopefully he can recruit and help us finish strong.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Someone must be passing out Xanax because I expected a meltdown on this board over the hire judging by the posts leading up to this. Color me pleasantly surprised

Last edited:

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Someone must be passing out Xanax because I expected a meltdown on this board over this judging by the posts leading up to this. Color me pleasantly surprised
It's a D line coach. Hard to formulate a strong opinion on the d line coaching hire.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Someone must be passing out Xanax because I expected a meltdown on this board over this judging by the posts leading up to this. Color me pleasantly surprised

Probably because we need a competent enough DL coach today more than we need an elite DL coach two weeks from now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dan wanted him so I think so.
Well, Dan didnt want him last year.

In the end he is apparently someone they trust. There are only a handful of homerrun hires out there, the guys who are great recruiters AND great coaches. Or just great recruiters.

We landed one absolutely elite guy and one who is solid and already knows the playbook.

It was a good week. Also, if you compare our hires to the hires of Ugly and Trailerbama, I think we were the only ones to improve our situation significantly.

That one ace recruiter was our missing piece IMO.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would think if someone was really considered "splashy", they would have been promoted up to a coordinator position by now.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I would think if someone was really considered "splashy", they would have been promoted up to a coordinator position by now.

giphy.gif

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hearing some of the potential names out there, this is meh. Would rather have Bam back home, but it’s Mullins job on the line every week.

Doesn’t seem like much of a recruiter at all. Probably needs to make friends with CRob fast

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Well, Dan didnt want him last year.

In the end he is apparently someone they trust. There are only a handful of homerrun hires out there, the guys who are great recruiters AND great coaches. Or just great recruiters.

We landed one absolutely elite guy and one who is solid and already knows the playbook.

It was a good week.

DSvY8Nc.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hearing some of the potential names out there, this is meh. Would rather have Bam back home, but it’s Mullins job on the line every week.

Doesn’t seem like much of a recruiter at all. Probably needs to make friends with CRob fast

I was hoping it would be that NC State D line coach. He seems to have recruiting and development of the players down pretty good considering where he is at.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I was hoping it would be that NC State D line coach. He seems to have recruiting and development of the players down pretty good considering where he is at.

I know everyone loved him and his track record seemed good, but I hate when we bring in Canes or Noles.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Honestly, I have no idea about 95% of the position coaches across the country. Just glad we got someone to hopefully help finish off this recruiting class with a bang instead of a wimper.

95%, got me beat, heck I couldn't name all the position coaches at Florida!

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@RivalsJavi: UTSA’s last three defensive line coaches and where they are at today. Eric Henderson (Chargers) Bo Davis (Lions) David Turner (Florida)

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying it's a bad hire but it does seem like a too easy, lazy hire.

Fingers crossed....

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads