Franks or Trask may start the bowl game

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I seriously, seriously doubt it happens. We totally crapped the bed in our bowl game a year ago and it set the tone heading into 2016. Mac can ill afford the optics or results that starting an untested freshman in the final game of the year would yield.

Yes if he did good everyone would want to know why he wasn't playing sooner. If he does poorly they would say you're turning the dogs loose on too young a player and possibly ruining his career.

Bottom line is don't put in a young QB against
Ala in the championship game. They had their chance to try one more than once during the season. I hate to say it but Franks was not impressive in the high school state
championship game. The QB position is far from being fixed. I'm going to try to watch the game. Said I wouldn't but will. It tears your heart out watching us play below our ability.
I now firmly believe we have another WM.
There is absolutely no coaching up with this staff.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Fck the bowl game, start one of them today. What's the worst that could happen? We're getting sodomized anyway.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good God. If Franks turns out to be any good, he's just going to leave early for the NFL anyway. Why the hell do we keep worrying about this extra year crap?

We desperately need a spark in the Gator Nation before there are mass suicides. Give us some hope, for the love of God.

Ox, you have made a compelling argument about palying one of the frosh QB's, but the only hope I would have to salvage recruiting and have a glimmer of hope for next year would be if Butters announces he is leaving ASAP!!!!!!. One good game by an unknown QB would be more of an aberration to me as long as Butters is still around.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ox, you have made a compelling argument about palying one of the frosh QB's, but the only hope I would have to salvage recruiting and have a glimmer of hope for next year would be if Butters announces he is leaving ASAP!!!!!!. One good game by an unknown QB would be more of an aberration to me as long as Butters is still around.
I pretty much agree with this. To me Mac is already at the point where he must take a huge gamble though. Perhaps if one of the 2 QB's played well and he dumped Nuss like a hot turd before the bowl game some people would take notice.....All that said I doubt he does any of this and continues to wipe his a$$ across the face of the program for another 2 seasons before he's fired....

gooneygoogoo

Dec 3, 2015
I don't think bowl games count for this year. I think they fall under the next year's eligibility, no?
I always thought it would be cool if teams were allowed to play the redshirt kids in the bowl without burning the redshirt. I guess now it would have to be non-playoff bowls. It would make some otherwise pointless bowls an opportunity for fans to glimpse the future and get excited. Would be fun to see Franks and Trask get some reps and not have to worry about resshirts.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There is absolutely no coaching up with this staff.
True. All's he's done is ride the back of Muschamps defensive recruits for the last 2 seasons. Once that talent is gone, starting next season, he will be toast.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe so. It was exactly the same thing Spurrier did with Vannez Gooch in the Orange Bowl vs Syracuse. One of the announcers commented on it being a new semester, and not worrying about his redshirt. Gooch easy and FSU transfer.
That had to do with him leaving early enough that be bad already sat out his year.

This whole thread is stupid as is the whole concept that starting our third or fourth string QB is going to make this offense better. Everything about this offense is terrible except for the mediocre running backs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see Trash just for the life entertainment value of laughing at some of the people on this board.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That had to do with him leaving early enough that be bad already sat out his year.

This whole thread is stupid as is the whole concept that starting our third or fourth string QB is going to make this offense better. Everything about this offense is terrible except for the mediocre running backs.
You're right, good QB play would have no impact at all on the offense. :rolleyes3:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If Appleby starts the bowl game, no one will watch it or travel to see it. We don't need this crap again! The recruits watch these games.
No ones going anyway.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Franks is any good at all, he's leaving after the 2018 season no matter what.
I get the argument that it may be worthwhile to lose Franks'eligibility in 2020 to help stymie the downward spiral that the program seems to be in, but I don't get this part at all. I don't remember any of our quarterbacks leaving after 3 years for the NFL so you are basically saying we've never had a quarterback that's any good at all.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I explained the point 3 times over.

Well I didn't read through the entire thread before posting, and still haven't...but here's my reply to your reply anyway.

Playing a freshman for the first time all season is silly. It accomplishes next to nothing. It's like a band-aid being put on a gaping wound caused by a mortar strike. If they were going to play a freshman this year it should have started somewhere around week 3. It makes the staff look even more clueless and foolish, like they are grasping at straws, and very likely may backfire with recruiting. I mean does a recruit really want to play for a staff that won't play him all year and then burn his redshirt for the Basket Weaving Supply Company Bowl Game? To the point of yours I did read about a logjam at QB, we're going to have that regardless and some QBs will be transferring, red shirts or not, so that's a moot point.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss will still be calling plays. It won't matter who the QB is
:suspect:
Well Scarlett will be in there for pass pro, so that won't help either. Love the way he runs, but good gawd. Would love to know what happened to Cronkrite this season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well I didn't read through the entire thread before posting, and still haven't...but here's my reply to your reply anyway.

Playing a freshman for the first time all season is silly. It accomplishes next to nothing. It's like a band-aid being put on a gaping wound caused by a mortar strike. If they were going to play a freshman this year it should have started somewhere around week 3. It makes the staff look even more clueless and foolish, like they are grasping at straws, and very likely may backfire with recruiting. I mean does a recruit really want to play for a staff that won't play him all year and then burn his redshirt for the Basket Weaving Supply Company Bowl Game? To the point of yours I did read about a logjam at QB, we're going to have that regardless and some QBs will be transferring, red shirts or not, so that's a moot point.
Couldn't possibly disagree more. Showing the recruits that we may actually have a future with a young QB could go a long way heading into NSD.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It wouldn't bother me at all. If you're going to war you take your best. If it's Franks or Trask I think it would send a signal that we're looking to move forward and it's not just another WTF bowl game. Be aggressive. If Franks is worth a crap anyway, he'll be gone in three years anyway. We need HELP NOW! Better yet ask Franks himself. I'd bet he's want to play. He'll have three years to work on an NFL career.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Playing a freshman for the first time all season is silly.

Agree, it's silly in January. One or both of the Freshman QBs should have gotten snaps starting 6 games ago when it was obvious we were in trouble. Then we might have a viable option for the end of the season. Even if Franks or Trask are great, they won't light it up in the first time they see the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator