Freshman OL Issiah Walker transfers to Miami

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think we’re all just ready and way past due for a run of nothing really freaking weird happening. This weirdness started McElwain’s last year when half the team got suspended for the credit card issues. Then Mullen’s first offseason, we get the Jones/Steele saga. Even during this past season we had the curious case of Chris Bleich, freshman guard who UF had devoted a lot of time developing, his best years clearly ahead of him, even if he sucked at the moment, transferring midseason after starting about every game while the team is still contending for the SECe. And now we have a guy transfer, get this, during quarantining at home. He’s the opposite of homesick. Weird, makes zero sense. Yeah, maybe the guy has depression or bipolar issues, if so, that wasn’t detected during the recruiting process?

Maybe there’s more to this, I’ve seen the rumors of Stewart Reese from Miss State transferring in, but nothing official. Maybe that news turned Walker off? Maybe Walker was slacking off on his quarantine workouts and was receiving tough love from the coaches? Again, it seems that softness would have been detected in recruiting.
If the kid is "rated" highly enough you take a chance on him and hope he isn't soft, flaky, whatever or if he is you can work him thru it. If it doesn't work out you get flamed on a message board but who really cares. If you can control him maybe you get a Percy or Hernandez. Worth the risk even if some message board experts are losing their minds.

Just my opinion though:blahblah:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that sucks. Not thrilled with hev's recruiting, but it's hard to pin this on him. I hope the kid gets himself together, but he's Gator bait...

Come on man, blame the Coach, like everyone else has......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If the kid is "rated" highly enough you take a chance on him and hope he isn't soft, flaky, whatever or if he is you can work him thru it. If it doesn't work out you get flamed on a message board but who really cares. If you can control him maybe you get a Percy or Hernandez. Worth the risk even if some message board experts are losing their minds.

Just my opinion though:blahblah:

Shelby, this is a positive look and in a vacuum I would agree... the problem this is a trend at this point. Which means lack of evaluation.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Issiah Walker talks on Instagram live after entering transfer portal

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...tering-transfer-portal-aGOWaghiB0CPz2iEVv2Z5Q

Gators offensive lineman Issiah Walker and his friend Mike went live on Instagram this evening, after entering the NCAA transfer portal yesterday. Naturally, Walker began getting questioned about his decision to transfer.

"[There is] a lot of things going on with that, but I appreciate the people supporting me through it, too," Walker said at one point during the live stream.

Walker answered almost every question regarding the news that he had entered the transfer portal with "no comment on that", while Mike was noting that Walker's reasons to transfer are "personal".

Several viewers asked Walker if the transfer had to do with head coach Dan Mullen or offensive line coach John Hevesy. At first, Walker remained silent. He was then asked specifically if his transfer specifically had to do with Mullen, Walker said "no comment." That was followed with the same question regarding Hevesy, to which Walker remained silent.

Walker wouldn't comment on if he'd consider pulling out of the transfer portal and stay at Florida. He began to laugh when people began asking if he'd transfer to Miami or FSU.

He went on to talk about how many messages he had received since the news broke, which he says he didn't expect. Walker followed that up with "We'll see this week, that's all I have to say at this point."

Walker entered the transfer portal on Monday. We broke down what that news means for the Gators in the story below.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019

Gators offensive lineman Issiah Walker and his friend Mike went live on Instagram this evening, after entering the NCAA transfer portal yesterday. Naturally, Walker began getting questioned about his decision to transfer.

"[There is] a lot of things going on with that, but I appreciate the people supporting me through it, too," Walker said at one point during the live stream.

Walker answered almost every question regarding the news that he had entered the transfer portal with "no comment on that", while Mike was noting that Walker's reasons to transfer are "personal".

Several viewers asked Walker if the transfer had to do with head coach Dan Mullen or offensive line coach John Hevesy. At first, Walker remained silent. He was then asked specifically if his transfer specifically had to do with Mullen, Walker said "no comment." That was followed with the same question regarding Hevesy, to which Walker remained silent.

Walker wouldn't comment on if he'd consider pulling out of the transfer portal and stay at Florida. He began to laugh when people began asking if he'd transfer to Miami or FSU.

He went on to talk about how many messages he had received since the news broke, which he says he didn't expect. Walker followed that up with "We'll see this week, that's all I have to say at this point."

Walker entered the transfer portal on Monday. We broke down what that news means for the Gators in the story below.

I didn’t watch, but the summary leads to a conclusion that his silence regarding coaches is he’s mad at the coaches. Of course that is less meaningful if he was also silent or said ‘no comment’ on every question as to why.

At some point the coaches need to speak up because Bleich, this guy, and Ancrum ain’t a good look right now.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing the Coaches say will explain the mind of an 18 year old. The Coaches can't and shouldn't dump on the kid..... It's just the way it is in College Athletics these days. Some be coming and some be leaving.. Inspite of the urge to throw everybody under the bus, the Gators will be fine without this or any other player who doesn't want to play here.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Walker apparently had a Zoom call w/ FSU's staff (Norvell and the OL coach) w/ his parents, and they are supposed to have a follow up call. So the "homesick" excuse is bullsh*t.

His "no comment" when asked if it was something Mullen or Hevesy did is interesting. Not sure if he's just saying 'no comment' on all questions like that or if he's butt hurt about something.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It’s possible they (Mullen and/or Hevesy) told him his parents totally botched the spelling of his first name. I know that would set me off.
Just speculation at this point though.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How could it be Mullen or Hevesy? He got here in January and went in to quarantine in March. He's probably only been able to deal with Savage for the most part. Maybe he just can't handle the quarantine away from his family? Idk.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
How could it be Mullen or Hevesy? He got here in January and went in to quarantine in March. He's probably only been able to deal with Savage for the most part. Maybe he just can't handle the quarantine away from his family? Idk.

Is he on campus or at home? I thought he never made it to campus.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

As I said in my earlier post its hard to pin this all on the staff. But communication is a huge factor during this time.

I know from our families perspective we were already leaving the school our daughter is in, but the lack of communication and the misaligned message coming from the school just re-enforced that. Also it has exposed the true leaders in my work organization and those who are trying to be leaders by their ability to communicate what is going on and how to move forward.

No one at this time knows what is going on in this kids head, and this is new territory for everyone. But it has probably exposed well managed organizations and those that are not so well managed (not judging Mullen as well/not well just general statement).

The bigger issue is this seems to a constant issue with our recruiting classes for years now.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Any one or two is a fluke. Eight is a trend.

The Cali POS that raped those girls doesn't count.

But how does 8 stack up against other teams? Admittedly, I tend to be a pumper since although the trend on the recruiting trail has been flat with no curve for the most part since he Mullen has arrived, the trend of the overall program has been upward. Like you, I am not a fan of the high school offense, but I have been a bigger not fan of how much a dumpster fire our O has been after Mullen left and until he returned. I kinda believe 8 isn't that big of a number however it seems our 8 might hurt us a lot more than other teams' numbers. This really should be Mullen's year to shine, and things seem to be aligning in his favor with UGA replacing their entire O, but its hard to not see they are still freaking loaded and replacing Fromm and the OC might actually make them better. Couple that with all the bad news with our program over the last few months its hard to remain in a pumper state of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator