Gators bow out in the 2nd round....next year will be a Championship!

NCAAT 2nd Round Result?

• Win by 1-9

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Win by 10+

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Lose by 1-9

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Lose by 10+

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well the season ended about where many of us thought given all the ups and downs on the year. Looking at the overall record, the injuries, most would say it was a pretty decent year. Maybe it was, but I think there were so many things that could have been different b/c they were within the team's and coach's control. Yes we know defensively the team was limited and MIke's lack of offensive prowess has been talked about ad nauseum, but just some other basic things could have made the team so much better. I do give Mike credit for finally going to a zone defense in the 2nd half after numerous uncontested layups by TTech. BTW, TTech does not have much low post scoring on offense with back to the basket and you could see there are offenses and patterns you can install that create movement and not just standing around. Not saying those sets are for us, but sets and offenses do exist. As for not taking the timeout to set up a shot, I usually say use the timeout to get organized. But knowing what we know I doubt Mike could have designed anything that would have gotten us anything better than the 2 looks we got. Plus it would have given TTech a chance to set up their defense and possibly even foul to prevent us hoisting a 3 pointer. TTECH was in scramble mode after totally butchering their inbounds play so not taking the timeout was okay by me.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This game was a typical loss for this team. Far too many missed opportunities, with decent play we win by 10 points. Coach can't play, only players can, and they really did not play anywhere near our assumed potential or even what some of them showed last year. I doubt that our two centers will improve much, one might be done due to his injury, and the other might not recover to a decent level. A team that needs grad transfers to fill holes is a team that probably won't be a deep run team.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
KeVaughn Allen was pre-season All-SEC and potential All-American pick. His regression really hurt this team, as he was supposed to be a dependable go-to guy and prolific scorer. Hudson had some great games and some average games, but was a liability on defense. Egor played out of position as a #4, but was our leading rebounder. His shot selection was bad a lot of the time but he played hard and was an added contribuotr to the team. Chiozza was great and his leadership and game knowledge will be missed. Hayes was forced to play a more prominent role than his skill level. He's a hard worker and always gives his best with limited ability. Okuru showed steady improvement as the season progressed and will be and important part of next year's team. Bassett, also, showed improvement and should contribute more next year. Ballard was very disappointing to me. He came in highly touted and never improved at all. Doesn't play defense, turns it over too much and takes bad shots. I think he has talent, just hasn't figured out how to fit in to White's system and will need to either adjust and adapt or transfer, IMO. Gak played hurt and showed signs of being able to help the team. He gave valuable minutes at times. Stokes should be a major player for us next year on both ends of the court. Johnson's concussion hurt the front court as well because he was showing signs of being a pretty good player when he git injured. Nembhardt and Locke will bothe be counted on to be major contributor immediately. Whether or not they're ready will go a long way to how good the team will be. And the final question is whether or not Coach White can get another grad tarnsfer to come in and provide quality help. Should be interesting.

Damn good assessment.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Allen is absolutely not going anywhere. He will be back 100%. He is tied at the hip with Hayes and Stone. They are very close. Allen had a terrible year....he won’t leave. He’s not ready anyway.

Trust me...he returns and I think will return to form.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Allen is just too damn nice in the sense that he wants to get other's involved.

He's like Russell Westbrook. in one way: Hear me out-

Just in the sense that, even if he shoots close to 40% or less overall from the field for the season, he needs to keep shooting..he needs like 15 shots a game or so..because he can be 0-10 and then make his last five shots, all from three..and he's the best FT% guy in Florida Gators history so getting to the line is a big plus for him and us, so he can't settle for the three (unless he's hot, then yeah) and needs to attack the basket some to get to the line..and for 6'2" (maybe) the dude can get to the rim and finish with authority.

Pretty much in every other way, he is not like Westbrook, haha.

But now 3gor for sure and probably Hudson will be gone and not playing here next year, so he should see it clearly that he's the Go-To-Scorer and maybe he will be more aggressive with his shooting. Time will tell. But he's probably not built for the NBA as a 6'2" SG and we have Okaru for PG next season so unless he convinces teams he can play the point, he likely will play in Europe if he wants to continue his playing career after his senior season.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
KeVaughn Allen was pre-season All-SEC and potential All-American pick. His regression really hurt this team, as he was supposed to be a dependable go-to guy and prolific scorer. Hudson had some great games and some average games, but was a liability on defense. Egor played out of position as a #4, but was our leading rebounder. His shot selection was bad a lot of the time but he played hard and was an added contribuotr to the team. Chiozza was great and his leadership and game knowledge will be missed. Hayes was forced to play a more prominent role than his skill level. He's a hard worker and always gives his best with limited ability. Okuru showed steady improvement as the season progressed and will be and important part of next year's team. Bassett, also, showed improvement and should contribute more next year. Ballard was very disappointing to me. He came in highly touted and never improved at all. Doesn't play defense, turns it over too much and takes bad shots. I think he has talent, just hasn't figured out how to fit in to White's system and will need to either adjust and adapt or transfer, IMO. Gak played hurt and showed signs of being able to help the team. He gave valuable minutes at times. Stokes should be a major player for us next year on both ends of the court. Johnson's concussion hurt the front court as well because he was showing signs of being a pretty good player when he git injured. Nembhardt and Locke will bothe be counted on to be major contributor immediately. Whether or not they're ready will go a long way to how good the team will be. And the final question is whether or not Coach White can get another grad tarnsfer to come in and provide quality help. Should be interesting.
No grad transfer can happen unless someone transfers or goes pro. We are full for next year

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I doubt that our two centers will improve much, one might be done due to his injury, and the other might not recover to a decent level.

This was unfortunately a key season for Gak. This is the season he should have gone from a tall weak frosh who didn't know much about what he was doing to a stronger more experienced back up SEC center. Maybe he got enough minutes for that, but the knee problem cutting into his minutes and practice minutes really may set back his career.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Hero ball in the 2nd half killed us. I noticed with around 10 minutes left in the game. TT had gone on a little run and taken about a 4-6 point lead. We panic and our guys just start chucking up ugly 3 pointers in transition when our other players aren’t even at the half court line and taking other dumb shots that had no chance of going in. Instead of regrouping as a team and weathering the TT run they start playing “me” ball. If they would have just gotten a couple baskets instead of wasting 4-5 possessions in a row doing dumb shyt, we win. Frustrating as that was a very winnable game.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
They didn’t win 2 games this weekend, something you said they needed to do to see positive. They failed, and it’s a failed season.
Underachieved, not failed. I definitely wouldn’t call it a successful season based on preseason expectations. Basically a bogey, but I still liked the effort and enjoyed watching these guys. Need to play better next year.

And is it sour grapes that I now have zero interest in the tournament?

Now on to spring FB

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
fck the refs..........TT in the double bonus 2nd half in less than 7 minutes? THat home cooking deserved two Michelin Stars. TT was better (or at least played better) than I thought. I guess they deserved that seed. But 10 fouls that quickly? Refs make the one shiny/****ty moment for this game.......

Losers complain about officiating.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Name calling , I can see , is just one of your many skills. I have played TONS of basketball. 10 fouls called in less than 7 minutes is almost Lexington like. :Even cheez was amazed at that fourth one and he never looks bothered by calls.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Losers complain about officiating.

In general I agree with you, but this leads to a circular logic problem. Loser do often (always) complain about officials. On the other hand if an official is bribed and makes a call against you at the end of a game costing you the game, then wouldn't you tend to complain about that?

That said, UF has plenty of times in the NCAA worn the white (higher seed) uniforms and had to play against the underdog whistle. Certainly that was true in losses in 1998 against the Zags and in 2011 against Butler. Of course many times UF prevailed against the NCAA lower seed whistle. Last night there was no evidence of the lower seed, ie UF, getting any benefit of the whistle, in fact oddly the lower seed had many more fouls called against them.

Now maybe it was just a home court whistle. UF may have benefited in such as whistle in 1994 when the regional was in Miami. UF has also played early rounds in Orlando and Jacksonville and certainly had home crowds then. So maybe this was a case of losing to UGa twice and some other games costing UF a protected seed and they ended up facing TxTech in Texas. I know much was made last year of Duke having to play SoCar in SC, but it is not like NC is far from SC.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Barely squeaking into the tourney. First round loss in the SEC. Then a loss in the round of 32. Schizophrenia all year long. How many of us were saying FF team early in the season? I do feel like this team did underachieve.

I probably over-stated with my below average comment but this season was average at best.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Florida had 18 Fouls.
Texas Tech had 14 Fouls

Florida shot 10-15 for 67% Free Throws
Texas Tech shot 7-14 for 50% Free Throws

Fouls and Free Throws didn’t cost us this game. Poor coaching and poor shot selection did. Unfortunately, many on here will deflect and not put the blame at the feet where it should be.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Barely squeaking into the tourney. First round loss in the SEC. Then a loss in the round of 32. Schizophrenia all year long. How many of us were saying FF team early in the season? I do feel like this team did underachieve.

I probably over-stated with my below average comment but this season was average at best.
Barely squeaking in the tourney? We were a 6 seed dude.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Florida had 18 Fouls.
Texas Tech had 14 Fouls

Florida shot 10-15 for 67% Free Throws
Texas Tech shot 7-14 for 50% Free Throws

Fouls and Free Throws didn’t cost us this game. Poor coaching and poor shot selection did. Unfortunately, many on here will deflect and not put the blame at the feet where it should be.

So you really think when a player jumping in the air and runs into you from behind is a foul on you? I think it should have been a no call, or a foul on the person flying through the air.

I don't know what coach told them to do, I only see what they actually did.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Barely squeaking in the tourney? We were a 6 seed dude.

Pretty sure after the Tenn loss we needed to win a couple extra games to get in. We turned it around and beat Auburn and Kentucky. We saved the season and made the NCAA instead of the NIT. Needing to win game 26 or 27 in a season isn't squeaking in? LOL. Ok. I've been a BB pumper all year.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Average by our typical expectations, not average by the statistical tests of all big league colleges.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So you really think when a player jumping in the air and runs into you from behind is a foul on you? I think it should have been a no call, or a foul on the person flying through the air.

I don't know what coach told them to do, I only see what they actually did.
Stop trying to pick fly shît out of pepper. We had calls go our way, they had calls go their way. They were called out of bounds when the ref said his foot was on the baseline, clearly it wasn't. Chiozza should have picked up his 5th foul when he raped his guy down the middle of the lane.

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.