Gators bow out in the 2nd round....next year will be a Championship!

NCAAT 2nd Round Result?

• Win by 1-9

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Win by 10+

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Lose by 1-9

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Lose by 10+

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hero ball in the 2nd half killed us. I noticed with around 10 minutes left in the game. TT had gone on a little run and taken about a 4-6 point lead. We panic and our guys just start chucking up ugly 3 pointers in transition when our other players aren’t even at the half court line and taking other dumb shots that had no chance of going in. Instead of regrouping as a team and weathering the TT run they start playing “me” ball. If they would have just gotten a couple baskets instead of wasting 4-5 possessions in a row doing dumb shyt, we win. Frustrating as that was a very winnable game.

Actually, UF took more FTs than TxTech and made a higher percentage. Where the official hurt UF was putting their leader on the bench. So without Chiozza a couple or 3 times down the court UF players took 3 point shots rather than risk giving up the ball to someone not Chiozza and suffering a turnover.

They were not bad shots and had one or two gone in, the game might have been different. But still UF had two good shots to tie the game and could not do it. I saw a Purdue guy hit a shot not unlike what Evans made on UF today. That is often the difference between advancing and going home.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure after the Tenn loss we needed to win a couple extra games to get in. We turned it around and beat Auburn and Kentucky. We saved the season and made the NCAA instead of the NIT. Needing to win game 26 or 27 in a season isn't squeaking in? LOL. Ok. I've been a BB pumper all year.

Lets see, we beat gonzaga at 1 in the morning pretty much at their house. We beat cincy, auburn, swept kentucky and blew the doors off several teams . I would say it was a solid but not great season. When this group was on, they were pretty fun to watch. I think average at best is a little harsh,but for you i guess that's a compliment.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Actually, UF took more FTs than TxTech and made a higher percentage. Where the official hurt UF was putting their leader on the bench. So without Chiozza a couple or 3 times down the court UF players took 3 point shots rather than risk giving up the ball to someone not Chiozza and suffering a turnover.

They were not bad shots and had one or two gone in, the game might have been different. But still UF had two good shots to tie the game and could not do it. I saw a Purdue guy hit a shot not unlike what Evans made on UF today. That is often the difference between advancing and going home.

It wasn’t the end total of fouls which were the issue. It was how quickly they came in the 2nd half. 10 fouls in the first 7 min is an issue. If for no other reason it puts the brakes on players mentally. They lose some agressiveness on defense. A player like Chiozza loses valuable minutes on the floor and then has to play more carefully when he returns.

But forget the fouls. Even as it was we played tough, hung tough and had a chance at the end. We missed critical FT’s down the stretch and several open looks.

With the hand we were dealt we finished 1 game off our mark. With all we lacked upfront we still should have won one more game.

Many of us thought we were a final four team coming into the season. But most of us assumed Egbunu and Stokes would have been part of that. They never played a minute and Kevarrius Von Bassett-Gak wasn’t enough inside.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
As to the timeout issue. Had there been LESS time on the clock I think you could make a stronger case for a timeout.

With the time remaining I do NOT think we would have devised a play for a quick 2 and foul to put them on the line. We were going for the tie and needed a 3. So had we called a time out and let a very good defensive team set their D....we would have very likely put the ball in Chiozza’s hands up top...ran some clock...and then looked for a kick and shoot to an open option. As it was Chiozza did exactly that (minus allowing the defense to strategize) took it up top...set up the drive and kick perfectly....and we got not one...but two wide open looks. I had no problem letting it play out. The boys knew exactly what to do and executed the play....just didn’t knock down the shot.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As to the timeout issue. Had there been LESS time on the clock I think you could make a stronger case for a timeout.

With the time remaining I do NOT think we would have devised a play for a quick 2 and foul to put them on the line. We were going for the tie and needed a 3. So had we called a time out and let a very good defensive team set their D....we would have very likely put the ball in Chiozza’s hands up top...ran some clock...and then looked for a kick and shoot to an open option. As it was Chiozza did exactly that (minus allowing the defense to strategize) took it up top...set up the drive and kick perfectly....and we got not one...but two wide open looks. I had no problem letting it play out. The boys knew exactly what to do and executed the play....just didn’t knock down the shot.

Exactly and for all of our criticisms of White a mark of a well coached team is to run exactly what he would have called without the time out.

Additionally, Leefor3 should be applauding White for switching to a zone at almost the exact time Leefor3 called for the zone in this thread. Heck I wondered if he is now a paid consultant for White.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I didn’t reference FT’s at all so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The shots I’m referring to were bad shots, taken when we had one, maybe two guys at most (including the shooter) past the half court mark with nobody in position to rebound and no play set up. They were rushed, stupid shots that shouldn’t have been taken. It happened on multiple possessions in a row.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure I can agree with that. If you remember fumble gate in the Swamp you can't possibly find that complainers of the officiating were all losers.

Remember? Yeah, I was there. It sucked. It smelled. We should have never been in that situation. I still didn’t whine, cry, and bitch about the refs. That’s for losers.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I didn’t reference FT’s at all so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The shots I’m referring to were bad shots, taken when we had one, maybe two guys at most (including the shooter) past the half court mark with nobody in position to rebound and no play set up. They were rushed, stupid shots that shouldn’t have been taken. It happened on multiple possessions in a row.

I agree but do you think coach told them to do that? And if they went in we would be very happy.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I agree but do you think coach told them to do that? And if they went in we would be very happy.

I don’t know if the coach told them to do that or not. If he did that’s a problem. Yes, we’d be happy had the shots gone in but they were high risk/low % shots for reasons I already mentioned (rushed, no play set up, no rebounding capability in case of a miss, etc.). Would have been better to neutralize their momentum by executing a few good high % plays that resulted in points, IMO.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don’t know if the coach told them to do that or not. If he did that’s a problem. Yes, we’d be happy had the shots gone in but they were high risk/low % shots for reasons I already mentioned (rushed, no play set up, no rebounding capability in case of a miss, etc.). Would have been better to neutralize their momentum by executing a few good high % plays that resulted in points, IMO.

I was agreeing with you, and those that blame the coach don't know what he told them to do, probably not chuck up threes as they did.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I was agreeing with you, and those that blame the coach don't know what he told them to do, probably not chuck up threes as they did.

I know you were agreeing with me, I thought you wanted my take on whether the coach okayed it or not hence my reply. :fistbump:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
? Yeah, I was there. It sucked. It smelled. We should have never been in that situation. I still didn’t whine, cry, and ***** about the refs.
Now I remember 812. He spent days awhile back disliking everything I wrote in the PF. And if you didnt bcch about fumblegate then you were one out of 100,000 I commend you for your restraint. Btw the NCAA changed the rule after that abomination...........I wonder if it may have been the complaints over it. Thanks for the help ;)

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Losing this game...ugh. That span in the first half, with so many quick fouls called on us and Cheeze going to the bench...that hurt. But it didn't hurt nearly as bad as starting the second half with ten fouls in seven minutes and Cheeze back on the bench again. It killed any sense of flow we might try to establish, our ability to speed up the game - a tactic that seems to have worked in our favor as of late. It just sucked.

But I wasn't too surprised. I've said all season that if we don't have Cheeze, we don't have offense. Despite how much time is wasted playing catch outside the arc and killing shot clock - something any of our ball handlers seem willing and able to do - the thing that got us in gear and had offense flowing was Cheeze bringing it up quickly and finding the right shooters. That, and IMO, having Hudson come alive at times and be willing and able to take over on offense for us. The rest of the time we're just hoping Egor can make a three, or Stone makes something for himself.

Focusing on this game, TT looked better and played better. I'm not going to complain about that. I'll be miffed at the refs for taking such an influence on how the game is played, and who can play. But ultimately, this is who are team is. Especially when Cheeze is on the bench.

Season is over. Kids did the best they could with a lineup lacking capable bigs or a second point guard competent to run an offense. Nobody quit. Many simply didn't have what it took to get it done.

======================================

On the season as a whole, I am not too disappointed - again, I look at all the bigs we had on the bench and have to accept this is who we were. Hayes is not a 5, but bless his heart for doing all he could when asked to play the 5. Stone matured and it was good to see his progression. Cheeze was who we wanted, who we needed, but he wasn't enough. Egor coulda, shoulda, and woulda, but didn't...consistently. Hudson took awhile to figure it out - I'd LOVE to have him back for another year, but I don't expect that from him. Allen, never came close to what he showed us in earlier years - he got a LOT of minutes for two reasons, IMO. First, his experience made him the second choice at PG when Cheeze was out. Second, his potential was very high based on what he led us to believe in past years. However, those two factors are flawed, because he is not 'court aware' enough to be running the point (as evidenced by frequent turn overs), and he NEVER came close to what he was last season, much less what we thought he could become. While I believe he has one more year left, I honestly do NOT want him back next year. I don't want Egbunu back either - I'd rather get a younger guy like Basset to take their lumps and build for the future than to count on Eggie and have him injured or unable to perform for whatever reason.

Love the guys who gave all they had this season. But I'm ready to cut and move on without Allen, Egor, Egbunu, and reluctantly Cheeze. We'll have to see about Hudson. And in looking ahead, I'm fine with one more season for White to show he can bring in 'his guys' and make something happen. White has done well at identifying grad transfers to fill holes these past two years, I trust that will continue. I just want to see if he can get a full roster (of HEALTHY players) at all positions for a season and actually build something. That's what I'm looking for next season, and I expect a sweet sixteen out of it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The End .. Season, Coaching :
1) Weaknesses not "practiced" out.
2) Dispassionate, glumness trained in.
3) No pounding of balanced teamwork into their heads.
4) Game coaching by other coaches very much involved improving/correcting inside game effectiveness -- not White.??
5) could not have had the practice theme to "square-up" to basket before shooting pounded into their heads.
6) The coaching prowess seemed to be "C'mon guys hit those 3s." Do not force the action, just pass it around the perimeter 'til shoot-urge hits you.

This has to change drastically next year or we will be watching another frustrating team.
Criticize Hayes, call him of little talent. But I think he could & should have been developed through the whole year.
When Gak was in, I didn't see Gak wincing in pain when banged. There wasn't any limp that announcers called out?
So, Gak was underdeveloped like Hayes.?? Other teams develop their big men to be somewhat effective inside guys? It seems, if you're 6'8" or more = you're made to be useful inside.
Allen needs to return, but will his abilities be dilute again? Stone 6'8" 240 lbs with a sweet 3-pt stroke should be turned into a monster inside-outside AA next year. Will his play be diluted? I don't see that Egbunu has anything to promote himself as a pro ... and didn't they say he ought to have another surgery, so he's already too late to play next year anyway. Somebody let that kid aimlessly drift up shlitz-creek all 2017.

I like our talent. Just worry about coaching & developing. {That's what happens at other schools.}

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The End .. Season, Coaching :
1) Weaknesses not "practiced" out.
2) Dispassionate, glumness trained in.
3) No pounding of balanced teamwork into their heads.
4) Game coaching by other coaches very much involved improving/correcting inside game effectiveness -- not White.??
5) could not have had the practice theme to "square-up" to basket before shooting pounded into their heads.
6) The coaching prowess seemed to be "C'mon guys hit those 3s." Do not force the action, just pass it around the perimeter 'til shoot-urge hits you.

This has to change drastically next year or we will be watching another frustrating team.
Criticize Hayes, call him of little talent. But I think he could & should have been developed through the whole year.
When Gak was in, I didn't see Gak wincing in pain when banged. There wasn't any limp that announcers called out?
So, Gak was underdeveloped like Hayes.?? Other teams develop their big men to be somewhat effective inside guys? It seems, if you're 6'8" or more = you're made to be useful inside.
Allen needs to return, but will his abilities be dilute again? Stone 6'8" 240 lbs with a sweet 3-pt stroke should be turned into a monster inside-outside AA next year. Will his play be diluted? I don't see that Egbunu has anything to promote himself as a pro ... and didn't they say he ought to have another surgery, so he's already too late to play next year anyway. Somebody let that kid aimlessly drift up shlitz-creek all 2017.

I like our talent. Just worry about coaching & developing. {That's what happens at other schools.}

Officiating happens, sometime it's even-handed and sometimes it's not. Over the decades I've followed Gator BB, we've been damaged AND helped by seriously flawed officiating on so many occasions that I couldn't remember them all if I wanted to. The calls on Cheese hurt, but that is not what cost us the game. Like Rog, I see a team that regressed as the season wore on - instead of getting better. IMHO, that is coaching - pure and simple. The fire and resilience that was on display at the beginning of the season evaporated somehow, and the team that was left is a shadow of the one that started the season.

We lost because we got out-played at crucial moments by a team that is probably no better athletically than we are. They made plays when they absolutely had to, we did not. I'm not ready to throw White overboard just yet, he's young and needs time to grow as a coach, as well as time to bring in another class or two. I'm prepared to be reasonably patient, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned with the apparent lack of player development and team cohesion that continue to plague this program.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
lack of player development and team cohesion that continue to plague this program.

Proper attitude, Liz. I'm not ready to throw White under the bus, but I believe in threatening to throw him 'neath-bus if he allows (by practice neglects) sub-standard techniques to go on & on. You're right about "he has to grow". But all long season I saw none of that growth and we lost to many less talented teams, in 'same ole' frustrating style.
All we can do is Look forward to next year of White not "same-coaching" like that again. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator