Gators remain on track

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Next season, everyone (including Mullen) needs to state the season goals up front:

10 wins
New Year's Bowl Game

Then we can all be on the same page. Until then, not meeting your stated goals is a failure.

I’m ready now:

Target goals:
——————————————————
- win all games where Gators are favored
- be competitive in all games that the Gators are the underdog, both in terms of score (within 7 points), and in passing the eye test (on both sides of the ball)
- show significant improvement on both lines, including a better run offense, and better pass rush against all competition
- show improved tackling fundamentals all around
- show improved all-around fundamentals in the secondary
- coaches and players are prepared for each game, and a plan is apparent

Aspirational Goals:
——————————————
- win SEC East
- make CFP playoffs
- SEC champions
- make CFP championship Game
- win CFP national title

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I’m ready now:

Target goals:
——————————————————
- win all games where Gators are favored
- be competitive in all games that the Gators are the underdog, both in terms of score (within 7 points), and in passing the eye test (on both sides of the ball)
- show significant improvement on both lines, including a better run offense, and better pass rush against all competition
- show improved tackling fundamentals all around
- show improved all-around fundamentals in the secondary
- coaches and players are prepared for each game, and a plan is apparent

Aspirational Goals:
——————————————
- win SEC East
- make CFP playoffs
- SEC champions
- make CFP championship Game
- win CFP national title
You left out Beat UGay and FSU. That was ALWAYS on SOS goal list and it should be a staple of UF football from here on. I assume you feel like thats covered with win the east and make the playoffs but it needs to be stated clearly.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
You left out Beat UGay and FSU. That was ALWAYS on SOS goal list and it should be a staple of UF football from here on. I assume you feel like thats covered with win the east and make the playoffs but it needs to be stated clearly.

as much as I hated losing Saturday, I REALLY hated HOW we lost, by being unprepared as both coaches and player (which is on the coaches, too). I understand that winning all games almost never happens, even for NC teams.

I believe that if the Gators has done the things on the target list better, they would have split LSU and UGA, if not beat both of them.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We're talking about the East. Georgia is better. The rest of them all complete trash then and now. That's why Butters actually won the east despite his incompetence. No doubt, Butters lucked into a very weak East, but so Did Mullen, and this year was Mullen's best chance to win it. UGA is the only team with a pulse, and they just lost to fukin Muschamp at home, so tell me again how much tougher the east is now?

Just keep digging that hole. Your point is nonsense.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
So if we recruited better last year, which we had a top 10 class irregardless of whether they are here now, we would have won Saturday? Even if the whole class was 5* they'd have all been true freshman this season. Sick of the illogical recruiting BS about us being better now because of recruiting a year ago or from 2 years ago when DM had 2 weeks to hold it together.

And from my limited knowledge of recruiting I believe signing day is at the beginning of the year and then in February, so it's not even done yet.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
WiLLLLLLLie Taggart

Taggart is 56-62 as a head coach. He went 16-20 at Western Kentucky, 24-25 at South Florida and 7-5 in his lone season at Oregon.

See, it is easy to KNOW they are a garbage coach.

You are what your resume says you are.

So Spurrier was a roughly .500 coach when we hired him? All we could expect from him, right?

I'm not denying that your resume says a lot about you. But conversely, did Spurrier ever recapture the magic at Usce, or is his record there a considerable step down from his UF days? Is Frost doing the same things at Nebraska that he did at Ucf? Location and circumstances matter, and they matter a lot. To your point, Taggart is sub .500 for his career, at several jobs. That should've been alarming. Mullen has done well overall here given the circumstances. He just has to determine if he wants to take a step forward and become elite or be fired in a year or two.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
So if we recruited better last year, which we had a top 10 class irregardless of whether they are here now, we would have won Saturday? Even if the whole class was 5* they'd have all been true freshman this season. Sick of the illogical recruiting BS about us being better now because of recruiting a year ago or from 2 years ago when DM had 2 weeks to hold it together.

And from my limited knowledge of recruiting I believe signing day is at the beginning of the year and then in February, so it's not even done yet.

If you follow the recruiting here you will know that everyone says we must have facilities to be able to pull the top recruits. Its often said that it wont matter the coach if he doesn't have the horses. On the flip side, when the coaches lose the same people that say they cant win are pissed because they didn't win. Then its said that the recruiting had better pick up or the coach will be gone in year 3 but recruiting cant be good without facilities. So, we fire another coach and hire another who cant recruit because of facilities...and the saga continues. I was pissed about the Mullen hire and it took some doing to get me on board. Im still not fully on board when it comes to him bringing us championships but all this double talk is nonsense.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If you follow the recruiting here you will know that everyone says we must have facilities to be able to pull the top recruits. Its often said that it wont matter the coach if he doesn't have the horses. On the flip side, when the coaches lose the same people that say they cant win are pissed because they didn't win. Then its said that the recruiting had better pick up or the coach will be gone in year 3 but recruiting cant be good without facilities. So, we fire another coach and hire another who cant recruit because of facilities...and the saga continues. I was pissed about the Mullen hire and it took some doing to get me on board. Im still not fully on board when it comes to him bringing us championships but all this double talk is nonsense.

No way do you fire a guy winning 10 games a year. You can't...we won't. Even if he's not recruiting. He could go 0-4 vs UGA and Strick would keep him if he is winning 10 games. Tough place to be in but that it what you risked with Mullen.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Agreed. Next year is Trask's senior year with a loaded receiving corps. Put up or shut up time.

Offense will improve next year with more experience, strength, and depth on OL but defense will be taking a HUGE step backward from what is already a questionable set of results this year. Reese, Wilson, CJ, Grenard, JZ, and the bulk of the interior DL depth such as it is are gone.

We'll be in shootouts every game and that's not a formula for success.

I'm not going to get my panties in a wad until Emory and/or AR 15 are leading a squad that has two more recruiting cycles behind it. And if we're still crapping the bed on the trail and on the field at that point then Dan's doom becomes inevitable and he's gone after 5 or 6 seasons.

Short version, next year is not going to be the put up or shut up year. 2021/2022 is the time where results and expectations get ramped up or they don't. It's just where we are right now with roster gaps, butters leftovers, newbie underclassmen, and some under performing positional coaches.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
It is amazing, aint it? MOFO has walked this program from shttttt to the door of top five football in less than 2 yrs with 2-3 stars but he cant coach. And he should have a stable of 5 stars right now. If stupid was water we would all have drowned in here by now. But I get much of it. When your ego is so tied to your Alma Mater's football prowess you have to vent. Of course those of us when a LITTLE FCKKKKNN PERSPECTIVE all love losing. That is the party line. We are happy with a 10-2 yr. I am really sorry our geniuses didnt get Mr Kelly or Mr Frost to bring us glory..............:lmao:
And if you don't like it, you can ",eff-off to Swamp Gas, Sunshine Boy." :bananadance:

Last edited:

emr25

Nov 18, 2015
He needs to fix recruiting and we will be ok. If he doesn’t, he’s written his own obituary.

This is really all it boils down to. Obviously this is a message board and needless circle jerking is bound to ensue after a loss, but...”It’s the recruiting, stupid.”

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen one FIRE MULLEN post...maybe 1 or 2 but for the most part...it's the same message like above. He needs to improve his recruiting. He totally deserves criticism for not having the team prepared and some bad playcalling on both sides of the ball. He owns it.

So, I don't understand the back and forth some of us are doing. Mullen is going to get 4 years minimum. I wish some people would stop the BS claim that we were only 7 points from beating UGA. We were never in that game. The score was not indicative of the actual game. Saying otherwise is just trying to rationalize a loss, nothing more. Kirby outcoached Mullen. It hurts to type that but it happened. He's still a good coach. Go Gators! Need to win out.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Says the fan that never gave any likes for his birthday wishes............you kiss your mom with that mouth? Got that ego part right , I see.

Birthday - Happy Birthday SamIamGator92!
Just now have learned of this most excellent thread. Too many blackouts and service interruptions out here in Californistan. Wish they had blacked out the game. What a painful train wreck to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator