oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
DevoGator;n163458 said:
Did someone say Disco?
A member for six months and you finally make a post!

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If what happened over there is too embarrassing to be told on air, PM me.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
oxrageous;n163326 said:
And the site itself it hideous - stark white. And only about 10% of the members have avatars, so you have to look at that stupid silhouette in every post. Awful.

A big part of a successful message board is feeling comfortable and at home. Seeing familiar faces. That's why I think avatars are so important and are mandatory here. The GSMB now feels like a hospital - you just want to get in, do what you need to do, and get the hell out.

sort of like a porta shiiiteer

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Hello. Just visiting OxUrbia and seeing if I can get some real insight over here versus GSMB. That site sucks. Nobody has posted on the recruiting page for a couple of days. Lawrence is just what they need, he'll probably get put on double-secret probation as the skin is a little tight over there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n163461 said:
If what happened over there is too embarrassing to be told on air, PM me.
The GSMB software was going haywire for the 3rd time - all the thread posts were out of order. It was so bad the site was practically unusable. I emailed the Admin about it, and he told me there were other "priorities" but he would report it to the IT guys.

Class of '78 starts a thread about the Halifax Media Group and posts the public information of the executives and such, in the context that we should contact them and complain about the software. No one did, a lot of people just made jokes about the server "hamster" being dead. bradgator2 made a couple of posts of fake email exchanges with Halifax executives, questioning them about the hamster. They looked real but were completely fabricated, and weren't personal or vicious at all - they were just meant for laugh.

Evidently someone very high in the chain of command at Halifax got word of the thread and read it, and the entire forum was shut down within 3 or 4 days. They put up some kind of message (I wish I had saved it) saying the board was closed down because of "disruptive posters" and they would turn their efforts towards other forms of social media for Gatorsports. That insulting message was left up the entire summer and there was no indication that the GSMB would ever come back. I had been told privately that Halifax had already shut down several other "anonymous message boards" from their other newspapers.

A week into the season they suddenly re-opened up the board with new software, after not mentioning to a single soul that's what they were doing. I'm guessing there was a tug of war behind the scenes to bring the message board back.

Gatorchatter was actually created the day BEFORE the GSMB shut down, as I had anticipated something bad about to happen. By the time the GSMB re-opened, we had over 300 members.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That avatar is funny

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n163478 said:
The GSMB software was going haywire for the 3rd time - all the thread posts were out of order. It was so bad the site was practically unusable. I emailed the Admin about it, and he told me there were other "priorities" but he would report it to the IT guys.

Class of '78 starts a thread about the Halifax Media Group and posts the public information of the executives and such, in the context that we should contact them and complain about the software. No one did, a lot of people just made jokes about the server "hamster" being dead. bradgator2 made a couple of posts of fake email exchanges with Halifax executives, questioning them about the hamster. They looked real but were completely fabricated, and weren't personal or vicious at all - they were just meant for laugh.

Evidently someone very high in the chain of command at Halifax got word of the thread and read it, and the entire forum was shut down within 3 or 4 days. They put up some kind of message (I wish I had saved it) saying the board was closed down because of "disruptive posters" and they would turn their efforts towards other forms of social media for Gatorsports. That insulting message was left up the entire summer and there was no indication that the GSMB would ever come back. I had been told privately that Halifax had already shut down several other "anonymous message boards" from their other newspapers.

A week into the season they suddenly re-opened up the board with new software, after not mentioning to a single soul that's what they were doing. I'm guessing there was a tug of war behind the scenes to bring the message board back.

Gatorchatter was actually created the day BEFORE the GSMB shut down, as I had anticipated something bad about to happen. By the time the GSMB re-opened, we had over 300 members.

And here I thought my posts of scantily clad ladies was part of the problem. Silly me. The Jason Collin's thread is probably the only one the GSMB folks saved in their archives. :wink:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Okay thanks Ox.

So here's my suggestion. It's pretty audacious but its business. And we all know emotions don't drive money. ;)

I'm guessing you have a good idea what it cost to run a sports related forum, so you could negotiate something appealing for both parties. Since it was they're own shutdown that caused everyone to jump ship. And now that you're the keeper of the audience they are so jealous of. Maybe you should talk to them about contracting GatotChatter out as their official Gator forums. They could stop feeding their gerbils. Their handful of members would merge in with GC. They would be out of the forum business (which they clearly don't want to be in). And you could make a few extra bucks.

Think they'd go for it?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
oxrageous;n163621 said:
I seriously doubt it.
You want me to post some fake faxes to the halifax folks showing that Gator Chatter is taking over? :bob:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I thought you already knew this. I, and others, mentioned this and you said something to the effect of "don't push the issue" or some sort. Yes, they suck.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n163706 said:
I thought you already knew this. I, and others, mentioned this and you said something to the effect of "don't push the issue" or some sort. Yes, they suck.
The blocking of article comments is new.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n163715 said:
The blocking of article comments is new.

Not at all. This has been going on for a while. Yet another reason not to champion Abowlverdi.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So most people dont know this. But I may, or may not, have posted one last fake email exchange where I accused the guy of having inappropriate relations with that hamster. That thread was deleted within 2 minutes, so I knew something was up. I sent a PM to Ox to apologize and just let him know that it was all fake and I was joking around. He immediately responded with something to the effect of "of course I knew it was all fake". Then the whole freakin site closed later that day.

I was so relieved when I found this site a few days later. But I didnt know if Ox would be pissed or what... so that's why I showed up with a bag on my head.

I wish I saved a copy of those fake emails.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n163730 said:
So most people dont know this. But I may, or may not, have posted one last fake email exchange where I accused the guy of having inappropriate relations with that hamster.
I never saw that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n163730 said:
So most people dont know this. But I may, or may not, have posted one last fake email exchange where I accused the guy of having inappropriate relations with that hamster. That thread was deleted within 2 minutes, so I knew something was up. I sent a PM to Ox to apologize and just let him know that it was all fake and I was joking around. He immediately responded with something to the effect of "of course I knew it was all fake". Then the whole freakin site closed later that day.

I was so relieved when I found this site a few days later. But I didnt know if Ox would be pissed or what... so that's why I showed up with a bag on my head.

I wish I saved a copy of those fake emails.

You did us all a favor.

:brad:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wow that place really dropped the ball....I'm glad I never joined over there. What do they have left? Their paper(online) sucks, their sports writers suck and now they have no traffic.
Brad did you mention that before you have inappropriate actions with a hamster you're supposed to wrap it in duct tape???

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator