Getting to know Luke Del Rio

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Man I'm actually less excited about him than I was before watching that. He has a loop in his throwing motion that's gonna get him picked against LSU.. Admittedly this film is from 3 seasons ago so he's bound to have improved some. How much is gonna matter a lot

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I do kinda worry about that arm strength. The windows in the sec are gonna be alot tighter to throw in.

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
Careful guys... Don't show too much concern about the program possibly being put in the hands of a walk on quarterback. You may be accused of being a troll. On the bright side there is absolutely no way Del Rio or anyone else will be worse then Treon has been.

The only quality I hope whoever the new quarterback takes from him is the ability to not turn the ball over. He actually did a pretty good job with that considering he was such an inaccurate passer. Maybe he was just inaccurate enough to not only miss our receiver but the defender too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do kinda worry about that arm strength. The windows in the sec are gonna be alot tighter to throw in.
You shouldn't.

The stupidity of playing a guy like Driskel because he can throw the ball hard should be apparent to you all by now.

Accuracy and reads are what matter. Wuerffel and Matthews had noodle arms but destroyed the SEC.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You shouldn't.

The stupidity of playing a guy like Driskel because he can throw the ball hard should be apparent to you all by now.

Accuracy and reads are what matter. Wuerffel and Matthews had noodle arms but destroyed the SEC.
I agree. That's just really the only negative that kinda stood out. There's so many unknowns with him. With grier out of the picture I think they'll definitely go after a grad transfer.

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
It's not.
Not being put in his hands or he's not a walk on? For the record, if Coach McEwan says he's our best quarterback then I'll believe it and support him. I'm not anti Del Rio at all. I just know that what I witnessed 3 years ago didn't strike me as a future starting quarterback at the University of Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not being put in his hands or he's not a walk on?
Yes. It's not going to be handed to him and he's not a walk on. He's a rich kid who doesn't need a scholly, like Doug Johnson.

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
Yes. It's not going to be handed to him and he's not a walk on. He's a rich kid who doesn't need a scholly, like Doug Johnson.
Doug Johnson was a walk on? Never knew that. Del Rio took the scholarship at Oregon State when offered. Hopefully his career turns out similar to Johnson's.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Doug was a walkon, but he had many scholly offers. I didn't know Del Rio took a scholly at Oregon. I guess I should say Del Rio can afford to "walkon" at Alabama to play for the coaches he wants rather than take scholly offers from major colleges elsewhere. I'm not saying he is a five star, but he's better than anything we have on the bench and he's not some Provancha, Guy or Trask level kid.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You shouldn't.

Reading the thread and watching Driskel break free and throw a beautiful TD pass in the LaTech-Arky State game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He has found a home at a directional school playing other directional schools.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Careful guys... Don't show too much concern about the program possibly being put in the hands of a walk on quarterback. You may be accused of being a troll.

Well let's see...

1. You "observed him closely" (paraphrased). Did you study game film of him, too? Yeah, so did cainething.

1a. Your scouting reference implies inside information or access - another troll tactic. Is your name Larry, by chance? Btw, Gatorcountry retweeted a coach who had a very different scouting opinion than yours.

2. You vaguely insinuate that we're betting the farm on this kid. You do know Franks is verbally committed, right?

3. You haven't been around here very long.

Maybe you aren't a troll, but there are reasons to suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
CGgator... Guys like you are exactly why I've never posted here before. I've read this board long before the move to Gator Chatter. New to posting, not new to the board or Gator football.

I was up close to him as in standing right behind him as he threw. Right next to his dad actually. Which I didn't speak to so no "inside" knowledge there. Have I seen film of him? Yes I have but not to scout him. I took a couple other qb's to these events. They went to much lower level schools and performed at a much higher level then he did in these limited opportunities I saw. By the way, there's nothing I said that you can't see for yourself by watching the film. He doesn't have a strong arm. He has an unorthodox release that can be slow.

You need evidence? Look at his high school numbers? He plays his senior year for the top school in Colorado and lights it up. 28 td's and 4 ints. His junior year at Episcopal (they're a pretty solid team too) 20 td's (great) 18 int's (not so great). The difference may be the athletes in Florida are probably a little better then they are in Colorado. They close a little faster on balls that are floated in. Arm strength isn't everything but most guys that are successful with a subpar arm are great at one or both of these things... A lightning quick release or they are extremely gifted at reading a defense and throwing on time. He may have those traits now and I truly hope he does. I don't think McElwain is betting the farm on anyone. I just think it's comical that people say he let Grier go because Del Rio is better.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
He has found a home at a directional school playing other directional schools.

C'mon man give the guy some credit. He's making reads he's making throws. He's thrown for 400 yards early in the fourth qtr. He's not all world but he woulda been a helluva a lot better QB with decent coaching. Damn sure wish we had him this season.

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
Only 397 yards so far tonight, but 13 minutes left. A lot like our passing game this year.
Not doubt that Driskel was mostly awful for us but a lot of the blame for that has to go on the previous staff(s). How many QB coaches did he have while here? Looks at how all the guys that left are having success elsewhere. Driskel, Brissett, Murphy last year at BC have been mostly successful. You could say the competition is weak (which it is) but we've struggled against directional schools quite a bit lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator