Getting to know Luke Del Rio

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Blah blah blah.. I just think it's comical that people say he let Grier go because Del Rio is better.

Which people said Mac let Grier go because Del Rio is better?

When I said "Our staff is so high on him that it scared off future Heisman QB Will Grier." I was being facetious. Though those of us that are Gator fans have some faith that the coaches will have Del Rio playing better than he did three years ago in high school.

And the name L8erG8er smells like a troll name.

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
Which people said Mac let Grier go because Del Rio is better?

When I said "Our staff is so high on him that it scared off future Heisman QB Will Grier." I was being facetious.

I don't think I quoted you. I wasn't saying that you are saying that. I got that you were being facetious and I hope our staff has coached the hell out of him and he's a star. I've seen it on several boards that we let Grier go because Del Rio is considered better. That's what I was basing the comment inon. Not you.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Update: 26/37 for 457 yds with 3 tds and no interceptions. But, hey, law is right. We were better off with Treon.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doug was a walkon, but he had many scholly offers. I didn't know Del Rio took a scholly at Oregon. I guess I should say Del Rio can afford to "walkon" at Alabama to play for the coaches he wants rather than take scholly offers from major colleges elsewhere. I'm not saying he is a five star, but he's better than anything we have on the bench and he's not some Provancha, Guy or Trask level kid.
I didn't know he was a walk-on. I knew he had signed a baseball contract and had a pretty nice bonus. He was a **** QB for SOS, but he was miles ahead of what we've seen here since Tebow.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Update: 26/37 for 457 yds with 3 tds and no interceptions.
If only Drizzy could play Southeast Arkansas A&M every week.Not only did Mac pass on Driskel, EVERY FBS power conference coach did. :rotfl:

I don't watch geographical schools so I had to look this up, but Driskel's last game was 3 interceptions and 3 fumbles. Yeah, Drizzy gonna driskel.

Last edited:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I need to remind everyone what Spurrier did with Matthews, which was magic because the kid never had the measureables. I think this coaching staff can get the most out of a guy who's a relatively good fit. Treon wasn't, Del Rio is. Beyond that, I think we need to resolve that next season may not show improvement on paper due to extenuating circumstances. We're on the right path, though.
I like Shane a lot but I'm still mad at him for throwing that pick against Bama at the end of the first SEC championship game.

UF's QB situation is completely up in the air. I watched the films on all the contenders. Trask throws as well as any of them as a junior, 2 stars or not. This kid Allen that won't be here until the following year throws better than them all. One of them should do if he has what it takes between the ears.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
If only we could play Arky State every week.

Not only did Mac pass on Driskel, EVERY FBS power conference coach did. :rotfl:
That's right. I wonder if JD has learned how to throw the ball away instead of taking the loss by running out of bounds.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With Grier gone this does make it to where Mac can concentrate from today forward on our QB. Everything from the LSU game on gives me no indication that TH can or will be our QB next year. Franks, Del Rio, and yes even Trask would be much better or serviceable than a Harris option at QB. Mac at this point is already priming that competition and will have us a QB that's his come game 1. As far as Del Rio, just being able to see over the line and downfield UF is in better shape.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep the DB coaches of other SEC teams told their guys not to cover UFs WRs
The other coaches can play a cover 2 zone and blitz or spy instead. That will surely make receivers run around open.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This has Morningwood written all over it....Loopy arm action, slow lofty throws, playing against competition that has players smaller than one of my legs....If this guy is our QB next year we might need to brace ourselves for Mac's version of the 4-8 special. Someone needs to get Trevor Knight on the horn and assure him that he will be the starter anything short of losing a limb in the off season.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This has Morningwood written all over it....Loopy arm action, slow lofty throws, playing against competition that has players smaller than one of my legs....If this guy is our QB next year we might need to brace ourselves for Mac's version of the 4-8 special.
Perspective, Crete. You're looking at his junior year of high school clips there. That being said, he's never going to impress anyone with his arm strength. Of the film I've watched on him, Trask, and Franks, Del Rio is the most accurate of the three. Trask has the quickest release (very fast release), and Franks has the strongest arm.

The thing about Del Rio that gives me a little hope is his accuracy. I really don't care how pretty it looks getting there, so long as he's putting it where only his receiver can get it. A certain #7 around these parts had a fairly decent career here doing that, might have picked up a trophy or two along the way as well.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Perspective, Crete. You're looking at his junior year of high school clips there. That being said, he's never going to impress anyone with his arm strength. Of the film I've watched on him, Trask, and Franks, Del Rio is the most accurate of the three. Trask has the quickest release (very fast release), and Franks has the strongest arm.

The thing about Del Rio that gives me a little hope is his accuracy. I really don't care how pretty it looks getting there, so long as he's putting it where only his receiver can get it. A certain #7 around these parts had a fairly decent career here doing that, might have picked up a trophy or two along the way as well.
AM Boner looked a lot like DW on his highlights too. A weak but accurate arm Rarely translates to SEC success.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It has been 4 full years since that tape on Del Rio in his Jr. Year of high school.....good grief

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not particularly worried about the QB situation. Mac picked the right guy in Grier. Grier f-ed himself, the team, and us. Mac will pick the right guy again.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If only Drizzy could play Southeast Arkansas A&M every week.Not only did Mac pass on Driskel, EVERY FBS power conference coach did. :rotfl:

I don't watch geographical schools so I had to look this up, but Driskel's last game was 3 interceptions and 3 fumbles. Yeah, Drizzy gonna driskel.
Did you watch FAU almost kick our derriere?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
That's right. I wonder if JD has learned how to throw the ball away instead of taking the loss by running out of bounds.
The one mistake I saw last night was holding the ball too long and taking a sack. Not saying he is perfect, just light years ahead of Treon. Threw hard into tight windows. Threw touch over defenders. Ran with authority. How many games would it take us to accumulate 457 yards?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
CGgator... Guys like you are exactly why I've never posted here before. I've read this board long before the move to Gator Chatter. New to posting, not new to the board or Gator football...

...I just think it's comical that people say he let Grier go because Del Rio is better.

Guys like me? I'm tame compared to others on this board and the old GSMB, which makes me wonder how long you've actually lurked around here.

Dude, this is the interwebs, where anyone can be anything they want: legit, troll, alias, and even alias troll - we've seen quite a bit here. Again, have you actually visited this board much? You didn't seem to recognize my historical references, so...

Enjoy the board and don't get offended when someone questions your authenticity. Whether Gator or troll, your real self will be confirmed in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
... of course, those Del Rio films mean nothing if Mac goes with the no hudl offense. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.