His way out? Mac claims death threats on coaches and players: "It is what it is."

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
This is what Goldkamp posted in 247...

"I think McElwain is feeling the heat and inadvertently said that. I'm sure he's gotten plenty of hate mail, maybe even a legit "go die in a fire" or two on Twitter, but I doubt there was anything that actually amounted to a credible threat.

I think saying that was a bad look for both him and the program. One, it does nothing at all to help perception of where the program is at or stability, which is a pretty big deal in recruiting. Two, it makes him seem a bit desperate for something to point to.

I don't know. The whole thing was bizarre.

The immediate follow-up pretty much summed it up for me.

*very shakily*

"Death threats...?"

"Mhmm."

"...can you expand on that."

"No."

Just odd."

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

Just saw that. If he was hoping for national coverage thats mission accomplished.
If indeed threats were made that included wives and families and players it would seem irresponsible not to give all pertinent information to the proper authorities. You can't just say "someone threatened my wife" and follow it up with "oh, I don't want to talk about it anymore".
He has clearly thrown his own fan base under the bus.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Just having a tiny argument with Joe Vizi. He is livid. Finally found a post that someone wished "Butters would kill over" (sic).

He doesn't seem to understand that "I am going to kill you" could be a threat but "I hope you die" isn't.
that guys is the biggest delusional on twitter these days.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My problem with what Mac is doing is he's really poisoning the water for UF to have a successful coaching search. He's making the fan base he are look as if we're so bad no coach should want any part of this. As if coaches working at Florida are literally dodging bullets from the unruly fans every day. If the administration doesn't nip this in the bud quick they are going to have a mess on their hands.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
He might have overplayed the significance of it though which is equally as bad
Agreed, I like goldkamps take. Prob over reaction to some tweets etc, but you have to question his judgment for bringing this up at the presser. This could be his jump... er.. hump the shark moment

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Surprised no one has floated this out there yet. If this is a lie, which it could very easily be, is there a clause where he could be released for cause. I mean this thing is taking off, and if it turns out to be a lie, that's a big black eye for UF. Certainly there has to be a clause that covers that.
Every coach in the country has gotten the occasional twitter "death threat". I mean Jesus do any of you think Charlie Strong didn't get any at Texas? At F'N TEXAS? He probably sets the gold standard for how many ways one person was threatened to be murdered. But he didn't mention it. Everyone knows it's just bs words from psycho fans.

Mac just destroyed any positive perception of the program

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My problem with what Mac is doing is he's really poisoning the water for UF to have a successful coaching search. He's making the fan base he are look as if we're so bad no coach should want any part of this. As if coaches working at Florida are literally dodging bullets from the unruly fans every day. If the administration doesn't nip this in the bud quick they are going to have a mess on their hands.
That's why if it's false, UF needs to throw his ass out and nip it in the bud.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Every coach in the country has gotten the occasional twitter "death threat". I mean Jesus do any of you think Charlie Strong didn't get any at Texas? At F'N TEXAS? He probably sets the gold standard for how many ways one person was threatened to be murdered. But he didn't mention it. Everyone knows it's just bs words from psycho fans.

Mac just destroyed any positive perception of the program
That's why I'm saying there has to be a clause in his contract. He's affecting the brand.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's why I'm saying there has to be a clause in his contract. He's affecting the brand.
Other than the facilities upgrades (which could have been in the works anyway?), what has he done to improve the brand? I can’t think of anything.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Last edited:

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No way I'm buying this bullshyte but if it is true players received death threats and that idiot didn't report it to anybody he needs to be fired asap.

Last edited:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ox had a thread a week or two ago about whether or not the administration cares about the state of Gator football. We are about to discover the answer. Mac has just thrown the entire fanbase under the bus and moreover, has put the university in a very bad spot, over what appears more and more to be a made up allegation to deflect blame from his own poor performance. If Stricklin/Fuchs care about the football program, the only move to make at this point is to fire him. I have no illusions that they will, but they should be locked in a conference room right now figuring out how its going to go down.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, it is obvious to everyone we are in the end game with this failed experiment. Best option for both sides is to sit down and discuss a reduction in the buyout.

Let the next coaching search be officially underway!!

:pumper: Go Gators :pumper:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
This doesn’t seem like something to lie about, but if it’s true, why not tell anyone or do something about it?

This is getting bizarre. And even if this is true, i hate how the whole fan base is being grouped into stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator