I think it's time to evaluate whether Dan Mullen is the guy or not

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but I am questioning if he has the will power to make the moves necessary to get to championship football if he even knows how.
The answer clearly is no.

he doesn't hire elite staffs. he hires his buddies from cowbell.

When Meyer came he brought a few of his guys with him but he also went out and hired the best of the best. the guys that he hated recruiting against.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not like there’s a dearth of available DC candidates outside of Grantham. Mullen’s allegiance to him borders on weird. I’m beginning to wonder if Grantham has pics of Mullen in a compromising position with Stricklin, who’s always struck me as a little light in the loafers.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
The writing has always been on the wall with Dan: he’s mediocre. A good guy, who doesn’t have it in him to be a great coach. The only way a person like that can ever win a championship is to be an elite recruiter, and impeccable staff manager. Dan is neither of those. Was really hoping that the stars would align and the team would steadily improve and we’d somehow get lucky to sneak in and shock the world. Impossible, I know... but a boy can dream.

Unless Dan wakes up and has a major paradigm shift, last night was as close as he’ll ever come to a championship. And with his determination to stuff square pegs in round holes... it’s over for him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Who’s making the call, surely won’t be Fuchs.
If it’s the boosters, how much money will they continue to dish out to replace coaches?

Mullen is about the best option right now, there’s no other Saban’s out there. Even though I’m not pleased, I’m happier with Mullen than I would be with Pruitt or Leach.

A really good DC, and a few more defensive studs changes things drastically.

Boosters will continue to pay. If he was one of them, I’d be more concerned about being stuck in a range. But he’s not. I agree with your last two points. There’s just no reason we’re here in year 3. Grantham was an arrogant roll of the dice because he knew it wasn’t popular among the fans. To concede now would be too humble for him. I think he’d rather hand back both keys at the same time. It’s maddening, but coaches aren’t normal people.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Full disclosure, I did not watch the second half because I was so upset after the first and my daughter had friends over that I think I was starting to scare.

I do think one needs to be cautious in making snap emotional decisions, but what I saw (at least in the first half) was a team that was not prepared and was not motivated and certainly did not have a "championship attitude". That is on the coaches to at least create an environment that inspires the players to conduct themselves in that manner. Three turnovers, four if you count that first drive, is going to make it extremely difficult to win a game, regardless of the opponent and how many players are out.

Despite all that, I am willing to give Mullen the benefit because I want to see how the rest of the season plays out and how the team responds from this crap show effort. I do think he deserves credit for bringing some sense of stability and positive culture to the program that really was adrift. I do think that recruiting has improved, even though not to the level that is needed, but it has gotten better. I also believe, although Im sure some may correct me, that this is the first game that we have shown up looking so lost with no effort. In other words, we have won the games that were supposed to. However, I want to see some recognition, after the season is over, of the shortcomings of his staff. Ideally getting rid of Grantham, but some type of movement that says, "Hey we messed up and there are consequences for not performing". I want to see a team that is organized and focused against Bama (even if they will get trounced) and the bowl game. I want to see the recruiting class close strong. I am not going to strongly defend Mullen, and I wont object if people feel differently than me because I see that side clearly. I just giving my opinion on the matter.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
There’s no greater argument to fire Grantham than that. He’s an absolute f*cking joke. I’ve seen MANY high school defenses better than ours.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
.......puts that dumb look on his face. .[/QUOTE]

That just comes natural to Farmer Dan.

00n0n_j3PRq9FljAM_09G0ez_600x450.jpg

"I mistook my tube of Preparation H for tooth paste."

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Mullen will be back next year. Period. After that I don’t think he will be fired. He will leave on his own depending on how next year (or the year after) goes.

I also heard a source claim that EJ is transferring. I have no idea if it has any credibility. AR is the future and I think he will be good....but there will be a learning curve to absorb if this were to be true.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I think he confirmed it for me tonight that he's not. The question is how long does he have?
He's definately not. Turns out he's mediocre. I compare him to Meyer and Saban. He couldn't carry their jocks. This year is an example of his best efforts. No control over his DC. Has several brain farts per game in situaltional play calling. He led a defeat last nite against a team that had no players, and the ones they had got injured, and still they pushed us around. It's on him. I hope he goes pro because we'll never get rid of him otherwise.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly, I have to agree with this. We’re screwed
The only hope is the NFL. They're so desperate, they might higher him and Grantham both. Otherwise, his tenure here will look like Richts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.