I think it's time to evaluate whether Dan Mullen is the guy or not

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is a good, not great and certainly not elite, coach. He'll win you a decent amount of games, lose a couple of headscratchers, and have you in a decent bowl game. But we're not winning any serious hardware with him at the helm, and watching this presser is all the explanation you need to see why it won't happen.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It’s not like there’s a dearth of available DC candidates outside of Grantham. Mullen’s allegiance to him borders on weird. I’m beginning to wonder if Grantham has pics of Mullen in a compromising position with Stricklin, who’s always struck me as a little light in the loafers.

You might be correct in this statement, but in fairness how do we really know? I don;t know and what I mean is that many, myself included, typically mention the names we know or have heard of. But maybe, just maybe there is say an asst. special teams coach in the NFL somewhere that is thought to have an incredible mind as a defensive guy. Or there is some young guy spilling his guts at a lower level giving these higher flying offenses some trouble and you take the time to talk to him. Remember when Bill Parcells took over as HC of the NYG's from DC and guys on that stacked D asked Parcells who was going to be their new DC and Parcell's told them Belichek? guys like LT and Carl Banks, etc. said WTF? this guy never played he is the asst. special team's and part time scout team safety's coach. Well Parcell's sat them down and showed them exactly who Belichek was and what he had done for them and the tune changed a bit.

The point is we all know of the Pete Sirmon's, Charlie Strong's etc. etc. retreads. Hell even Bo Pellini has been under fire and I think about last night and I do not remember once the LSU secondary being completely confused and our WR's running uncovered with no one within 20 yards, like they had been every game previously.. Is that b/c Cousin Eddie has no route combo's that stresses the D? partly. Maybe it was b/c the LSU secondary, sans their best player, is slowly getting better and just doing their individual assignment. 10 games and 2 years later we have guys running in from the sideline in the 2nd fkking half of a tight game all 300 lbs. of them trying desparately to get into position as the ball is snapped only to have barely made it parallel to the LSU offensive backfield. All kidding aside, I would prefer to look under a rock for some new ideas as opposed to the guys sitting in their rocking chairs at the Sunset Farms retirement community for failed coaches.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but even w Pitts on the field he has played stall ball for the first half of the last 4 or 5 games, with or without Pitts.

If he just called the offense like he did early in the season or like he does when he is losing by two scores to LSU hakfway through the 3rd, then he could be a champion.

But he just doesnt have it He just has to revert to Notre Dame ball.
I think you're being generous when you say Notre Dame ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You might be correct in this statement, but in fairness how do we really know? I don;t know and what I mean is that many, myself included, typically mention the names we know or have heard of. But maybe, just maybe there is say an asst. special teams coach in the NFL somewhere that is thought to have an incredible mind as a defensive guy. Or there is some young guy spilling his guts at a lower level giving these higher flying offenses some trouble and you take the time to talk to him..
I agree. But I would take Strong or even Randy Fuchsing Shannon over Grantham. Just mediocrity with a bit of good if not great recruiting would be a huge improvement.

Odd that "Top Billin" isn't pimping Dr. Pressure much anymore.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I agree. But I would take Strong or even Randy Fuchsing Shannon over Grantham. Just mediocrity with a bit of good if not great recruiting would be a huge improvement.

Lovie Smith is available. Add him to the list of over the hill once successful DC's somewhere.

Odd that "Top Billin" isn't pimping Dr. Pressure much anymore.

I would rather have "Dr. Detroit"

images

Now that is going way back in time, LOL

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're being generous when you say Notre Dame ball.
If you go back and look at ND games in the 90s, it is the same play book, just in spread formations with slot receivers instead of tight ends. It is just ingrained, DNA level.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Kyle is the only winner on the team.
If you’re referring to Trask, he was uncharacteristically off last night. This loss was on everybody. Everybody played their part in this one. It’s hard to play the blame game today, although I see everyone’s doing it.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Relentless frustration. Relentless indifference.
And when he said it was on the offense, I think it was his way of knocking Trask without knocking Trask. Kinda pussified, really.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If you’re referring to Trask, he was uncharacteristically off last night. This loss was on everybody. Everybody played their part in this one. It’s hard to play the blame game today, although I see everyone’s doing it.

I’m still struggling to understand how KT has only thrown 5 Ints all season, but 3 have gone for 6. That’s gotta be the highest percentage of Pick-6’s ever.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m still struggling to understand how KT has only thrown 5 Ints all season, but 3 have gone for 6. That’s gotta be the highest percentage of Pick-6’s ever.
the flip side of the sideways passing game. high risk low reward.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I’m still struggling to understand how KT has only thrown 5 Ints all season, but 3 have gone for 6. That’s gotta be the highest percentage of thPick-6’s ever.

Jarrett Guarantano threw two of 'em in three minutes against Kentucky. I don't know about comparative percentages but Trask seems like he's on training wheels compared to that pick 6 machine.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There are plenty of DCs at $1.5 - $2mil.

Here is what is truly sad...LSU brought 54 players was out 3 DBs and stopped one of the Top Offenses in the country...why?

You tell me you can't get a hot shot FCS DC?

How is it these small teams can hang for 3qtrs with a power house?...COACHING.

Who else allows players to throw cleets? Allows players to act all stupid when they make a good play while they are losing to a 24pt UNDERDOG with only 54 players with a NC on the line.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Jarrett Guarantano threw two of 'em in three minutes against Kentucky. I don't know about comparative percentages but Trask seems like he's on training wheels compared to that pick 6 machine.

Yeah that wasn’t me attacking Trask. He’s played lights out all year and is one of my favorite stories. It’s just odd that on so few picks, there have been so many going the other way. Weird stat, nothing more.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The only hope is the NFL. They're so desperate, they might higher him and Grantham both. Otherwise, his tenure here will look like Richts.
Unfortunately this loss, and more footage of what a blame-diverting doosh he is, will have owners and gm’s really questioning if he has what it takes to run an NFL team.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah that wasn’t me attacking Trask. He’s played lights out all year and is one of my favorite stories. It’s just odd that on so few picks, there have been so many going the other way. Weird stat, nothing more.

I know you're not attacking Trask. It is odd that 60 % of his interceptions have gone the other way for pick 6's. I was just trying to throw a Tennessee joke in there to cheer you up. Carry on.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately this loss, and more footage of what a blame-diverting doosh he is, will have owners and gm’s really questioning if he has what it takes to run an NFL team.
Cincinnati Bengals hired a guy that had been a position coach in the NFL and a coordinator at the University of Cincinnati with a 100th ranked offense.

there's a reason some of these NFL teams are consistently bad for decades.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it just is what it is when you throw sideways very short yardage.

it's a high percentage throw but if you screw it up there's no one between the defender and the other end zone.

I really don't like throwing anything in front of the linebackers. throwing behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties is almost the same percentage completion and you pick up so much more yardage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.