I was wrong about Franks - Its Mullen's O

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I owe Franks an apology. Watching that game yesterday, I got more and more frustrated as we struggled on O against an FCS team. I took my ire out on Franks and that was wrong. I just re-watched the first 3 qtrs of the game. I should have directed my ire at Mullen instead. Here's what I saw.

Franks went 15/15 in the first half until the final hail mary. Here's a breakdown.

7 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage
6 passes for less than 10 yards (most travelled about 5 yards past the line)
2 passes down field (the two td's)

At least half of the throws were designed sideways passes where Franks never even looked downfield.

We didn't throw one intermediate pass downfield until the 3rd qtr pass to Grimes on 3rd and 15 (it was a nice throw by Franks).

This is Mullen's O. Its the same frustrating O he ran when he was the O coordinator for us under Meyer. Re-watching the game this morning confirmed that for me.

Someone asked me last night if it was the offensive system that I was frustrated with and not Franks. My answer now after re-watching the game is absolutely!

We were playing a completely outmanned team and Mullen called a sideways dink and dunk O all day long. Its now clear to me that this is what he wants to run and its what he wanted his players to practice and perfect yesterday.

Its also clear to me that this O is not a fit for Franks as he's just not a dynamic runner. So instead of game planning to take advantage of Frank's strengths (I know, I can't believe I'm writing that), Mullen is forcing him to do things he's just not very good at. That 4th down QB keeper in the 2nd qtr is a perfect example of that. A dynamic dual threat qb picks that up every time. We don't have one of those so why are we running that play?

I'm also pretty convinced that this O with this roster won't work against elite SEC defenses. We ran the O almost to perfection in the first half yesterday against an FCS team and only scored 17 points.

So I guess this is a longwinded way for me to say I'm done railing on Franks. He's not our problem. He's just running what Mullen is asking him to run. I think that's our real problem.

A lot of it is protecting Franks from turnovers etc. as Prescott and other QBs that he had were allowed to take it down the field on more than just bombs. Not sure if it will work as good this season if that running game doesn't get going however.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Side throws are essentially Mullen's ground running offense when the Oline has no push to create running lanes.

Most of the run busts were not about a lack of push by the oline. They were missed assignments by tight ends. Like here for example:

We get a good look to run. He have a TE on the line at the top of the form and whose job it is to come down and block the inside linebacker. The backside guard will pull through the hole intent on blasting the outside linebacker and creating a seam for the halfback.
upload_2019-9-9_11-10-22.png

TE fires out taking a bad angle which he'll quickly make worse with indecision:
upload_2019-9-9_11-15-2.png

At this point the timing is going to be off, as the TE has allowed the LB to get too deep in his attack, but he doesn't even really try to make contact:
upload_2019-9-9_11-17-27.png

He's indecisive and to me is showing a lack of understanding of what is trying to be accomplished. If instead of turning to try to follow the assignment he blew he stays attacking upfield understanding that this LB is going to into the pulling guard leaving the outside LB the guard is intended for unblocked, this play has a chance. As it is the guard has to kill his own momentum and the back's to get the ILB. To the ILB's credit he does a great job attacking the inside shoulder of the guard to accomplish this.

upload_2019-9-9_11-24-41.png

As you can see here, if the TE had recognized his inability to get to his assignment and adjusted to attempt to maximize the success of the play by kicking the OLB out there is still a nice seam for 4-5 yards and perhaps more if the on rushing safety whiffs.
upload_2019-9-9_11-28-51.png

Because the tightend blocks literally no one (see below) the OLB is able to close down the outside hole and force the RB to cut back inside where the disruption is causing the blocks to break down - resulting in a short loss.

upload_2019-9-9_11-35-22.png

The terrible run blocking of the TEs was also on display in the Miami game. That's not to say we don't have line issues. The right side of the line should be keeping Mullen up at night from a pass protection standpoint. Expect a lot of stunts on that side from UK on passing downs because they are struggling for sure.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-9_11-26-54.png
    upload_2019-9-9_11-26-54.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the run busts were not about a lack of push by the oline. They were missed assignments by tight ends. Like here for example:

We get a good look to run. He have a TE on the line at the top of the form and whose job it is to come down and block the inside linebacker. The backside guard will pull through the hole intent on blasting the outside linebacker and creating a seam for the halfback.

TE fires out taking a bad angle which he'll quickly make worse with indecision:

At this point the timing is going to be off, as the TE has allowed the LB to get too deep in his attack, but he doesn't even really try to make contact:

He's indecisive and to me is showing a lack of understanding of what is trying to be accomplished. If instead of turning to try to follow the assignment he blew he stays attacking upfield understanding that this LB is going to into the pulling guard leaving the outside LB the guard is intended for unblocked, this play has a chance. As it is the guard has to kill his own momentum and the back's to get the ILB. To the ILB's credit he does a great job attacking the inside shoulder of the guard to accomplish this.

As you can see here, if the TE had recognized his inability to get to his assignment and adjusted to attempt to maximize the success of the play by kicking the OLB out there is still a nice seam for 4-5 yards and perhaps more if the on rushing safety whiffs.

Because the tightend blocks literally no one (see below) the OLB is able to close down the outside hole and force the RB to cut back inside where the disruption is causing the blocks to break down - resulting in a short loss.

The terrible run blocking of the TEs was also on display in the Miami game. That's not to say we don't have line issues. The right side of the line should be keeping Mullen up at night from a pass protection standpoint. Expect a lot of stunts on that side from UK on passing downs because they are struggling for sure.

That might be part of the issue but this line also doesn't seem to get hats on guys as much at the 2nd level on the inside runs like last years O line did.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Also need a Percy on the edge, a Hernandez in the middle and a Murphy and Cooper on the outside. In other words, the stars need to align. That's not likely to happen with a roster full of 3 and low 4 star recruits.

Has a lot less to do with the 3 and low 4 star recruits as it does a team that can't decisively handle a UTM DL/LB. If your OL is great, those 3 and low 4 stars look like 4 and 5 stars. It isn't rocket science. I loved watching our team from 2006-2008. Tebow, Percy, Murphy, Baker, Leak, and so on and so on ... they had an OL that handled the LOS. We aren't hurting in our skill positions right now. You could even say we are loaded. We just aint winning the LOS.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Ok so here’s the question that needs to be addressed at this stage in the season: what do you do with a crop of tight ends who are matchup nightmares in the passing game and dog **** in the run blocking aspect of their position play at the moment?

The long term solution is keep repping them til they get it. But what do we do with the scheme this week?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Ok so here’s the question that needs to be addressed at this stage in the season: what do you do with a crop of tight ends who are matchup nightmares in the passing game and dog **** in the run blocking aspect of their position play at the moment?

The long term solution is keep repping them til they get it. But what do we do with the scheme this week?
Find a new coach?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Under Meyer, Mullen used a extra OL as a blocking "TE" very often. It was usually the 6th OL, who would come in on obvious running downs. Also, using a FB vs. a TE could help. Just have the FB motion and line up near where a TE should be. Or coach these 250lb TE's how to block! I know Krull was out of football for a few years, but he's 6'6 255, wtf can't he block? I'm not sure if Gamble or Lang can block better, they obviously aren't the pass catchers that Pitts and Krull are - but if they block better put them in on running plays.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
They are putting 6 in the box against 8 UF players. That is a run advantage. The problem with having the TE come down to PS LB is if the LB reads the play correctly, the TE won't get there. This is poor design. The #1 LB (overhanging) is outside leverage ad it ould be an easier block for the TE to wall of the #1 and have the guard pull to the #2 (MLB). Its also preferable to do this because you get a big body on a lb and the point of attack instead of a TE.

There are other ways to block this, (double the DT and combo to the MLB, Guard pull to the #1) , but this blocking design kinda sucks.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
They are putting 6 in the box against 8 UF players. That is a run advantage. The problem with having the TE come down to PS LB is if the LB reads the play correctly, the TE won't get there. This is poor design. The #1 LB (overhanging) is outside leverage ad it ould be an easier block for the TE to wall of the #1 and have the guard pull to the #2 (MLB)..

If we designed and called them in a vacuum I'd agree. There's a play we run off of this (I can't remember the last time we ran it, but I've seen it) where the tight end runs a bit of a fade with the receivers to that side clearing the coverage. Since we run versus numbers the OLB gets used not looking for the tight end on a run block with this look and commits outside and we get a relatively easy chunk play. To make this work the TE needs to understand that he's got to block low to high. He needs to take an aggressive angle down the line, that way if the backer commits he pins him into the inside wall of the hole, if he scraps you going to curve that out and just get him to your right shoulder. His only real job is to make sure he preserves the RBs option to go right off the block of the guard and he doesn't even need to get much of him to make sure this happens.

All that being said, even when we have much easier blocks the tightends have been positively woeful at times. Perimeter blocking by the WRs has been nothing to write home about this season as well. I will say that it did appear to get better in the second half on both counts. Apparently there was a bit of a "come to Jesus" in the locker room at half time regarding execution.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Most of the run busts were not about a lack of push by the oline.
View attachment 16599

View attachment 16600

View attachment 16601

Love the play breakdown, thanks. But, these pictures also show precisely a “lack of push by the OL” against an FCS team. By the time Perine is looking for his hole, the left guard is driven back 1-2 yards on his down block against a guy the size of a lb and the center/RT combo is struggling to hold ground on a double team. You can’t fault the LT for losing ground as his assignment appears to be to kick out/seal the upfield rusher and Forsyth does that well on this play.

They still need more pool wrestling I guess.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I kinda think we have to attack the LBs with the 'P' of the RPO more to hold the LBs accountable but instead we keep throwing WR screens or run. Both plays (screen and run) seem to be very easy to identify within the first second of the play so the LBs have no consequences to their choice. In 2008 we had the hb presence keep them honest. I just don't think Pitts and the way we have used him thus far has DCs worried. Instead of having them block we should have them more as an option to throw to in slants, digs or short in routes.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
If we designed and called them in a vacuum I'd agree. There's a play we run off of this (I can't remember the last time we ran it, but I've seen it) where the tight end runs a bit of a fade with the receivers to that side clearing the coverage. Since we run versus numbers the OLB gets used not looking for the tight end on a run block with this look and commits outside and we get a relatively easy chunk play. To make this work the TE needs to understand that he's got to block low to high. He needs to take an aggressive angle down the line, that way if the backer commits he pins him into the inside wall of the hole, if he scraps you going to curve that out and just get him to your right shoulder. His only real job is to make sure he preserves the RBs option to go right off the block of the guard and he doesn't even need to get much of him to make sure this happens.

All that being said, even when we have much easier blocks the tightends have been positively woeful at times. Perimeter blocking by the WRs has been nothing to write home about this season as well. I will say that it did appear to get better in the second half on both counts. Apparently there was a bit of a "come to Jesus" in the locker room at half time regarding execution.

Dont disagree with some of this post, but the blocking scheme on this sucks. The defender is in 4I with outside contain. He leverages outside on the snap, thus getting the TEs way and also protecting the ILB. He cant get there with this because he has to go around the LT and the DE.
The center gets blown up and pushed in the backfield. Should have been a double o the nose and then PSG to the 3rd BS LB. BSG should pull for the MLB, ad TE and PST should take care of PS DE and the #1 LB to play side.

Clemson blocks it this as well. We have run this play fr the last 6-7. It came from Clemsons playbook. Have a former player there now running it. It's bad blocking design.

Running a fade by the TE to that side won't likely draw the #1 backer out of the box because the TE is running into cover 3 zone coverage. You can see the corners bailing deep, the safety is protecting the flat, the #1 LB has curl to flat (he is already standing there), Running a fade to that side runs to where the safety sits.

The D is going a cover 2 look with the 2 high safeties, but the corner on the bottom is coming toward the line on the snap and the safety is rolling to replace the corner for a cover 3. The other safety has deep middle.

An effective play here would be to show play action to the Os left side, right side WR run a deep dig or post which would carry the FS and CB to toward the hash, middle of the field, and he TE run a deep drag/shallow cross to the right where the CB is vacating.

Play call would be trey left, drive 1(or 9) and backside rules apply which would bring the TE on the drag across.

I have coached OL in 3 straight state title games and won 2 of those. Last year I did double duty as a DC and OL coach and pitched a shut out in the title game for 47:37. Take my word this is bad blocking scheme if this is truly the way they were supposed to block it. Looking over the pictures again, I think the TE went after the wrong guy.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
The offense is fine!

Look guys, Franks threw for less than 60% in high school. Also, do you guys remember what Franks looked like under Mac? Hot garbage!

Mullen typically runs a ton of throw outs and flare screens. It's a staple of his offense. Franks' propensity to make boneheaded reads and decisions coupled with the inability to create push with the O line, lends itself to a very horizontal offense.

Mullen's offense has won 2 championships around these parts. It's a little ridiculous to think that's the problem. A lot of the issues everyone are highlighting are directly correlated to Franks. Mullen said he's been working with Franks since he arrived as coach, on not being afraid to take the check down. Well now that's all he does. He stares down the 1st option and if that's not open, he throws immediately to the flats.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The offense is fine!

Look guys, Franks threw for less than 60% in high school. Also, do you guys remember what Franks looked like under Mac? Hot garbage!

Mullen typically runs a ton of throw outs and flare screens. It's a staple of his offense. Franks' propensity to make boneheaded reads and decisions coupled with the inability to create push with the O line, lends itself to a very horizontal offense.

Mullen's offense has won 2 championships around these parts. It's a little ridiculous to think that's the problem. A lot of the issues everyone are highlighting are directly correlated to Franks. Mullen said he's been working with Franks since he arrived as coach, on not being afraid to take the check down. Well now that's all he does. He stares down the 1st option and if that's not open, he throws immediately to the flats.
Don't let MJM see this. He just told us that Franks just had his best ever game against a high school team.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

So Traz, wouldn't a development-coach make himself an athletic HB to use. Perhaps make Copeland into that HB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator