I was wrong about Franks - Its Mullen's O

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I have coached OL in 3 straight state title games and won 2 of those. Last year I did double duty as a DC and OL coach and pitched a shut out in the title game for 47:37. Take my word this is bad blocking scheme if this is truly the way they were supposed to block it. Looking over the pictures again, I think the TE went after the wrong guy.

So you think the TE is supposed to take the OLB? Who is the guard taking? ILB? It looked to me like his presence surprised him which I would assume he would expect if the guy is supposed to be unblocked. I figured part of the point of the LT inviting the DE to the outside was help that space get clear as the TE comes down the line. The point is well taken that overthinking the plumbing tends to stop up the pipes. It's not inconceivable that a guy gets the blocking rules wrong against a front they probably only saw part of a week in practice and see from no one else. I think we've got a real issue with both their blocking and blocking on the perimeter, though. Given that screens and the fake screens run off them are a big part of the offense that's got to change.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the game again last night. The offense actually didn't look nearly as bad as I remembered during the live game. I think the pace of the game had a lot to do with it.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
So you think the TE is supposed to take the OLB? Who is the guard taking? ILB? It looked to me like his presence surprised him which I would assume he would expect if the guy is supposed to be unblocked. I figured part of the point of the LT inviting the DE to the outside was help that space get clear as the TE comes down the line. The point is well taken that overthinking the plumbing tends to stop up the pipes. It's not inconceivable that a guy gets the blocking rules wrong against a front they probably only saw part of a week in practice and see from no one else. I think we've got a real issue with both their blocking and blocking on the perimeter, though. Given that screens and the fake screens run off them are a big part of the offense that's got to change.

This would bother me more than whiffing a block. I haven't rewatched the game entirely but I am guessing with smaller schools they run an odd front because of their inability to attract large body DT type players and run a 3-4 scheme instead trying to crowd the LOS with more athletic LB type bodies.

I can tell you from experience a 3-3 stack type defense really slows down your execution because the 3 down lineman are slanting to a gap and the LBs are going opposite, squeezing and scraping. You have to figure out what your blocking rules are and then they can change on the fly. I keep mine simple. On power and counter, the play side blocks it the same way. Double the nose and combo to the #2 LB, PST blocks man on, BSG pulls to the OLB.

What troubles me is we had an extra blocker in the box and still couldn't get yardage.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I just looked at the pics again on a large monitor. I give up. This is both scheme and execution. The Center leaves the nose to block the backside LB, who is lined up on the BSG. That's just terrible. Double the nose and work to the BS LB and you get movement on the nose and the LB gets washed up in that. Nose gets penetration and pulling guard has to bubble giving the LB and PS OLB a chance to react. The TE blocks NOBODY and is just standing there.

I am done. I honestly expected more from this group.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Can you recall a better game he’s played?
I recall Mullen saying in a previous presser that Franks could have a higher completion percentage if he called more screens and throw outs.
And it seems that's exactly what Mullen did in this game... Called plays to fatten up his numbers.
Based on competition alone, this isn't his most impressive performance. Last year against FSU and Michigan were more impressive, imo. And, unlike most, I thought he was pretty good against Miami, minus that last pick.

Now, if we're just having a beauty contest of stat sheets, of course, last Saturday was his best. But that'll probably also be the best statistical night of his career. Not saying much, though. Because of the competition.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I recall Mullen saying in a previous presser that Franks could have a higher completion percentage if he called more screens and throw outs.
And it seems that's exactly what Mullen did in this game... Called plays to fatten up his numbers.
Based on competition alone, this isn't his most impressive performance. Last year against FSU and Michigan were more impressive, imo. And, unlike most, I thought he was pretty good against Miami, minus that last pick.

Now, if we're just having a beauty contest of stat sheets, of course, last Saturday was his best. But that'll probably also be the best statistical night of his career. Not saying much, though. Because of the competition.

Disagree. I will take 23-25 during warmups and throwing against air any day of the week. Mullen isn't fattening up his numbers. He is trying to win a game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't even understand your question. Speak English fer chrissakes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep even with all day to throw if it isn't a deep bomb Franks will find that dump off pass.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well I won't even pretend to throw out Xs and Os like some of you guys but here is what I saw. I saw a team that looked way more organized than we have looked in years past. Our players seemed to know who was supposed to be out there, where they were supposed to line up, what the snap count was, and all those little things that if not done correctly cost you big time. I saw very few penalties. I saw us score TDs on 5 straight drives with the starters in (not counting the end of the 1st half when we got the ball inside our 10 with a little over a minute left).

I saw a QB trying to play mistake free ball and for the most part succeeding. He probably could be more accurate on some of the swing passes but his downfield passes were almost all on target. I saw him improvise quite a few plays where he got flushed out and was able to find a guy downfield to make a nice gain from a play that otherwise wasn't working. I saw him complete 25/27 passes which is a record even for a traditionally strong team that plays a few total cupcakes every year.

I saw a ton of guys carry the ball and none of them averaged less than 5 yards per carry (other than Wright in garbage time) with a team average of 8.7 per carry. Nobody put the ball on the ground. I thought Perine danced a little too much when he should just hit the hole. I saw 7 ball carriers have at least one run over 10 yards.

Sure, I guess we could have blocked better but we all knew coming in that the line was going to be a work in progress. I'm not, however, going to opine that we suck at blocking but also the only reason we looked good was because the qb had all day to throw.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe after week 0 when FF made the game way closer than it ever should have been with turnovers, the thought was to not try and force anything and just be methodical. And perhaps he overcompensated a little too much on the safe side. I dunno. I do know that when watching the condensed version of the game it sure seemed like we moved the ball plenty well, but I too felt in real time that everything was just slow. So maybe its just the tempo that throws people off.

I'm not sure what a good run average against a team like UTM should be, but again when I rewatched the game I was expecting to tally up a lot of stuffed runs but there weren't nearly as many as I thought there were initially.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Disagree. I will take 23-25 during warmups and throwing against air any day of the week. Mullen isn't fattening up his numbers. He is trying to win a game.
Not saying I wouldn't take it. I'm responding to it being his best game. And competition masters. And no, I wouldn't accept 23 of 25 against air. That's a tired phrase. Why are you dropping 2 passes with no coverage? I'm slightly kidding.

But I'm with you @Bushmaster I'm not saying it wasn't a great game. I'm saying it wasn't his best.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Not saying I wouldn't take it. I'm responding to it being his best game. And competition masters. And no, I wouldn't accept 23 of 25 against air. That's a tired phrase. Why are you dropping 2 passes with no coverage? I'm slightly kidding.

But I'm with you @Bushmaster I'm not saying it wasn't a great game. I'm saying it wasn't his best.

You ever watch warm up prior to a game? 93% completion against air is phenomenal.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You ever watch warm up prior to a game? 93% completion against air is phenomenal.
Perhaps we should just give him the Heisman.

At least 75 QB’s in college football could have had as good or better game than Franks had against that team. Using it as a barometer of his “progress” is ridiculous.

Let’s use the UK game to continue measuring his progress.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Meh. When they dropped 8 sure. Stunts and blitzing LBs? Not so much.If that's a SEC end you're about to demonstrate a look out block.
upload_2019-9-13_7-7-55.png
upload_2019-9-13_7-8-43.png
upload_2019-9-13_7-9-19.png

But I do have to give credit where credit is due. One of my big knocks on Franks is that he didn't know how to extend plays and where to go with the ball. There's example on the second TD drive where they send the corner on the right and a LB in a zone blitz against a play action with three receivers left. It's tough, because Franks is angled away from the pressure off that edge. Franks feels it and is forced left. Although he knows he only has a throw to the outside, he turns his head inside which makes the LB who is supposed to be in the flat think the RB is behind him. This creates the seam to throw outside.Ideally you'd like to see him fire the ball to the flat the moment he felt the backside pressure as the linebacker wasn't in position to make a play yet, but he's doing more of these little things right, and that's encouraging.
upload_2019-9-13_7-27-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-13_7-6-55.png
    upload_2019-9-13_7-6-55.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members