I'm Done

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
As an avid sports fan for over 7 decades that started when my Dad ran the Sports Service Franchise at old Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg where I watched the Yanks & the Cards play and learned about baseball and competing at a young age, playing high school football as an undersized 130 lb. sub to the last time the Gators won a Natty in any Sport, I've become tired of all the posturing over the ultimate reason, fact, outcome, whatever you wish to call it; it's all about the Benjamins, not the mere opportunity to compete and show your abilities and resolve. So, for that reason, I'm signing off for the last time. It was fun while it lasted, but I've lost the gleam in my eye when it comes to watching the majority of any sport. BTW congratulations to the MS Bulldogs last night.
Later Gators...:jog:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, most have turned it off. And half the swamp is empty.

But at least all sports thinks it is #woke.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The World changes, we can't stop it. I understand your feelings but I recommend you just lower your expectations and find a Happy way to enjoy the thrill of competition, however commercialized it has become.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As an avid sports fan for over 7 decades that started when my Dad ran the Sports Service Franchise at old Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg where I watched the Yanks & the Cards play and learned about baseball and competing at a young age, playing high school football as an undersized 130 lb. sub to the last time the Gators won a Natty in any Sport, I've become tired of all the posturing over the ultimate reason, fact, outcome, whatever you wish to call it; it's all about the Benjamins, not the mere opportunity to compete and show your abilities and resolve. So, for that reason, I'm signing off for the last time. It was fun while it lasted, but I've lost the gleam in my eye when it comes to watching the majority of any sport. BTW congratulations to the MS Bulldogs last night.

I get what your saying, but I suspect, given 7 decades, that's just cataracts. ;)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
200.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lost the will to live because of sports, think about that for a moment and realize how its not worth it. I used to get physically sick if our Gators lost a football game or basketball game but that was before I had kids. Since we have had our boys, I realized more than ever that sports is just a game and not worth getting too worked up about since we have more important things in our life now. Yes I still get a sick and disappointed if we lose but realize its not the end of the world anymore for me. As a side note, I still very much enjoy all kinds of sports and tune out all the woke nonsense. I don't let that stuff get to me like I see it gets to others on here.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As an avid sports fan for over 7 decades ..., I've become tired of all the posturing over the ultimate reason, fact, outcome, whatever you wish to call it; it's all about the Benjamins, not the mere opportunity to compete and show your abilities and resolve. So, for that reason, I'm signing off for the last time. It was fun while it lasted, but I've lost the gleam in my eye when it comes to watching the majority of any sport.
Dude, you lived through the Blacksox scandal and continued to be a fan, you saw Babe Ruth become the first player to make more than the U.S. President -during the depression- and you stayed a fan, you lived through John McGraw trying to bribe an umpire and stayed a fan. My guess is that your enjoyment of baseball started to wane about the time you saw Jackie Robinson cross the color barrier and when old Satchel Paige finally made it to the Major Leagues. "The Benjamins" is a term used by proud people of color. I have my suspicions about your white supremacist underpinnings.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Watching elite athletes compete is still very much enjoyable. Just tune out the commentary.
Put it on mute and enjoy the games.

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
Lost the will to live because of sports, think about that for a moment and realize how its not worth it. I used to get physically sick if our Gators lost a football game or basketball game but that was before I had kids. Since we have had our boys, I realized more than ever that sports is just a game and not worth getting too worked up about since we have more important things in our life now. Yes I still get a sick and disappointed if we lose but realize its not the end of the world anymore for me. As a side note, I still very much enjoy all kinds of sports and tune out all the woke nonsense. I don't let that stuff get to me like I see it gets to others on here.

I was not aware that boss had the capacity to articulate a rational thought. Learn something new every day.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

But but wait! We gettin everybody this year and EJ is gonna win the Heisman and we are gonna beat Bama for the NC!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The World changes, we can't stop it. I understand your feelings but I recommend you just lower your expectations and find a Happy way to enjoy the thrill of competition, however commercialized it has become.
The World is the same, WE are what has changed. And to think that we can't do this or that is ubsurd. What we don't have is the will to do it. NOT the same as "can't". I can sure as hell not give them my money or time.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
At the end of the day, it is just a game that kids play and adults watch. Just let it be that and nothing more. It will be a lot less stressful when viewed from that perspective. I used to get really upset when Bama lost games. Really upset. After a few personal things happened I finally realized that it is just that, a game. Even though Bama wins far more now than they lose and I love seeing that, it is just a matter of time before another team replaces Bama as THE dominant team in college football and we return to the point where we desperately want a better coach, better players, better schedule, etc. Even then, it will be just a game that kids play that adults watch.

If you are giving up totally on all sports and even GSMB then I wish you all the best.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Dude, you lived through the Blacksox scandal and continued to be a fan, you saw Babe Ruth become the first player to make more than the U.S. President (like George Herman said " I had a better year than you did" ) -during the depression- and you stayed a fan, you lived through John McGraw trying to bribe an umpire and stayed a fan. My guess is that your enjoyment of baseball started to wane about the time you saw Jackie Robinson cross the color barrier and when old Satchel Paige finally made it to the Major Leagues. "The Benjamins" is a term used by proud people of color. I have my suspicions about your white supremacist underpinnings.
I think age is a factor. I dont let my emotions over my much loved gator teams ovewhelm me like SOME PEOPLE DO. I appreciate all the successes we have and had and realize other schools invest as much or more $$$ and energy into the process like we do or did. How can you not look back on the past season with a generational talent like Pitts and the amazing year Trask had. Its good stuff. Didnt win the hardware but suns gonna come up tomorrow.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach used sentences with punctuation and things.
Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?!

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Your feelings are more tied to our 3 game losing streak to end the year than any thing else. If we don't throw a shoe and beat bama to make the playoffs all the other things you mentioned wouldn't be that big of deal.

I don't care as much as I once did but, I still look forward to sitting in my chair backs a seeing all the old Gators around me once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator