I'm Done

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think age is a factor. I dont let my emotions over my much loved gator teams ovewhelm me like SOME PEOPLE DO. I appreciate all the successes we have and had and realize other schools invest as much or more $$$ and energy into the process like we do or did. How can you not look back on the past season with a generational talent like Pitts and the amazing year Trask had. Its good stuff. Didnt win the hardware but suns gonna come up tomorrow.
Big font = emotional... just sayin' ;)

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
giphy.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As an avid sports fan for over 7 decades that started when my Dad ran the Sports Service Franchise at old Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg where I watched the Yanks & the Cards play and learned about baseball and competing at a young age, playing high school football as an undersized 130 lb. sub to the last time the Gators won a Natty in any Sport, I've become tired of all the posturing over the ultimate reason, fact, outcome, whatever you wish to call it; it's all about the Benjamins, not the mere opportunity to compete and show your abilities and resolve. So, for that reason, I'm signing off for the last time. It was fun while it lasted, but I've lost the gleam in my eye when it comes to watching the majority of any sport. BTW congratulations to the MS Bulldogs last night.
Later Gators...:jog:

I understand your feelings completely.

Sports become less and less fun every day and it’s harder to enjoy like I used to.
I am not ready to walk away just yet but I certainly place much less importance on it and I spend less time watching each year.

Change isn’t always progress……

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Am I the only one that hates Jimmy Buffett?

It's like, ok, ok, you're always on a boat or at some beach bar somewhere drinking and having a great time. It's enough. We get it.

Parrot heads are the opposite of iggles fans, it obvious you are natural enemies. People who would burn your house down vs people who just want to drink schitty beer and sit on the beach....

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I have watched sports since my early years in the 1950's and every year since I became a college fan, I can't wait for the kick off, tip off or first pitch. Lying and bragging about a favorite team is a great distraction from the everyday cr*p everyone puts up with. It's too bad that a fun time has become a burden.

I have started playing guitar again after a long period of earning a living. Jimmy Buffett songs are fun to play and sing. As Alan Jackson once said when he recognized it was 5 o'clock somewhere: "I can't help but wonder what would Jimmy Buffet do?" I resemble that remark!

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Call this thread Dominos because it delivers. As soon as I read the OP I knew I'd be wearing out my Like and Funny buttons.

Meanwhile @fischerwood what time zone are you in? 10:36 AM seems awful early for a post like that, unless it was a very late night.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Parrot heads are the opposite of iggles fans, it obvious you are natural enemies. People who would burn your house down vs people who just want to drink schitty beer and sit on the beach....

I spent a year in Daytona Beach once. If the Natural Ice plant and the Ron Jon's t-shirt factory aren't sharing shipping costs for streamlined delivery, both companies are wasting money.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm almost there.

My issue is I've lost hope in UF and CFB.
Even when we were 0-10-1 :pe:

I had Hope.

Even when we FINALLY won the SEC...1984...FACT and Doug Dickey managed to ruin it for us.

I still had Hope

Our HC mailed it in. Lost his last 3 games...AND STILL GOT A RAISE.:what:

Our DC could not stop Buchholz HS...BUT he's still on the sidelines

Our Administration takes a decade to build an already approved Football Facility

Our Elitist President is more concerned about bogus Academic Rankings then school heritage, traditions, or the Alumni. And only Detroit, DAD and a few other alumni can get their kids in...

BUT hey Biden is POTUS, Florida is a TOP 10 PUBLIC UNIVERSITY, Fuchs is graduating Athletes, We have one of the most WOKE schools in the state...I failed to mention.... Our Recruiting SUX BUT MULLEN has mastered the "PORTAL" and we sill have G...chatter

WHAT'S NOT TO BE HOPEFUL FOR?:harvey1:

Last edited:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I spent a year in Daytona Beach once. If the Natural Ice plant and the Ron Jon's t-shirt factory aren't sharing shipping costs for streamlined delivery, both companies are wasting money.
Once when I started a new job, they sent me to their Tampa office for a year-long orientation program. Or at least it seemed like a year. Imagine my surprise when I got back to Miami and discovered I'd only been gone five days! :eek2:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

It's like, ok, ok, you're always on a boat or at some beach bar somewhere drinking and having a great time. It's enough. We get it.

If by Jimmy Buffett you mean Kenny Chesney, then yes...
Otherwise - don't let the 'fanbase' color your thinking around the content of his songs.
Do a lot of them cover the 'Salt Life'? Yes.
But - a lot of them don't.

However, I personally haven't heard any new Buffett music since the early 90's, so you could be right. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Once when I started a new job, they sent me to their Tampa office for a year-long orientation program. Or at least it seemed like a year. Imagine my surprise when I got back to Miami and discovered I'd only been gone five days! :eek2:

Yeah, my enthusiasm for Tampa seemed to diminish each day I was there a few weeks back. Rarely do we leave anywhere early, especially when just the two of us. But we did. Hit a decent Cuban bakery Sunday morning and left. Very mehh, imo. Though I'm sure Buffett has a song about how cool it is to sit on a bay and look at a bridge that could take you to the beach. Based on the pics in the chatbox, I wouldn't be surprised to hear @BNAG8R is listening to it as we speak.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, my enthusiasm for Tampa seemed to diminish each day I was there a few weeks back. Rarely do we leave anywhere early, especially when just the two of us. But we did. Hit a decent Cuban bakery Sunday morning and left. Very mehh, imo. Though I'm sure Buffett has a song about how cool it is to sit on a bay and look at a bridge that could take you to the beach. Based on the pics in the chatbox, I wouldn't be surprised to hear @BNAG8R is listening to it as we speak.

Boat drinks…boys in the band ordered boat drinks!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If by Jimmy Buffett you mean Kenny Chesney, then yes...
Otherwise - don't let the 'fanbase' color your thinking around the content of his songs.
Do a lot of them cover the 'Salt Life'? Yes.
But - a lot of them don't.

However, I personally haven't heard any new Buffett music since the early 90's, so you could be right. :lol:
He's got two good songs and they're both melancholy and lonesome: Come Monday and A Pirate Looks at 40. The rest of them are unbearably formulaic and trite. The people who follow him from city to city are some of the most vapid, useless people in the world. They all have drinking problems that they pass off as "fun" "partying" or "having a good time."

Jimmy Buffet is a businessman. I've met him briefly a couple of times, he was a member of the same country club I was in a couple of decades ago. His stage persona is 180 degrees opposite of what he is in real life.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He's got two good songs

From someone who has seen him several times in concert - I agree with your assessment of his groupies.
However, you could not be more off base with the 'two good songs' statement.

He had Steve Goodman writing and performing with him in the Coral Reefers for a while. And Steve is one of the best singer/songwriters to have graced us with his short presence on this earth. (e.g. songs like California Promises, This Hotel Room, Banana Republics, Door Number Three and Woman Goin' Crazy on Caroline Street to name a few of his).

Livingston's Gone to Texas, Miss You So Badly, In the Shelter and Death of an Unpopular Poet are fantastic, non-beachy, songs.

But... it's subjective in how you perceive his music.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It’s been several years , but I’ve enjoyed a couple Buffet shows . I’m a sucker for grass skirts and coconut bras .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator