Interceptions

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Donkey, as did most of us, saw Trask as symbolic of the Butters era. It was the kind of signing that never would have been done in our hay day, and it embarrassed some people. I thought it was as nuts as anyone. Hell, the thread about it is in the HOF section:

UF beats out Houston Baptist to land High School backup QB

However, the Donk took it more personally than anyone. He didn't just hate the symbol he opened hated Trask himself, which didn't make any sense. Trask hasn't done anything wrong since day 1, and that includes accepting a scholarship offer. In Donkey's world, Trask should have declined the offer because he simply wasn't worthy of it, and headed to Houston Baptist.

Regardless of his high school experience, he has the physical tools you look for in a QB and I'm glad to see him get a shot.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
So.... actually the whole thread was in response to people bytching about two interceptions, and me sayingnthe dont matter. Literally that is what tue thread is titled and the first point made. Literally.

Some people would rather not score and punt.... just to avoid the possibility of touchdowns throufh the air and the occasional interception... bc Woody Hayes, Chump and Crete say interceptions are da devil.

A decent QB needs to have at least a 2:1 TD to interception ration. 3:1 is very good. 4:1 is excellent

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Yes.

But that doesnt change the fact that the Univerity of Florida should NEVER be taking kids who didnt play in HS. We shouldnt be reduced to taking projects that most Div 3 schools wouldnt gamble on.

We should be landing one or two all.americans each year, not raiding Houston Baptist's backup plan.

You were the one who madel the thread mocking Butters for "landing" a HS backup. You were right then also.

Us taking Trask is similar to the San Francisco 49ers drafting some guy from Mississippi Valley State University

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Great point. I think his disdain for Trask is rooted in something simpler - @Swamp Donkey does not want guys like @Ancient Reptile to have any evidence that stars do not matter. It is a long simmering feud.
Ancient has never said that stars don't matter. He believes they do and covets high rated classes. It is the fact that he believes that there is more to football than recruiting that so bothers cb and other astrologers. Too bad you missed the Mud Run, cb, slithering in the mud would have found you better occupied than posting misrepresentations here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Us taking Trask is similar to the San Francisco 49ers drafting some guy from Mississippi Valley State University
No, its similar to them take a scout teamer who never actually played at MVSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is at risk of making a lot of allegedly smart football people look like complete dumbasses.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It is pretty funny looking back. Someone made a post worrying about running jake Allen off lol

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic about Trask. That being said the whole "trash" thing needs to be toned down a bit. He has just been dedicated to being a Gator, and didn't transfer despite the opportunity to do so. He seems to have saved our season with a comeback win against UK. Seriously, we could have had a losing streak against freaking UK if it weren't for Trask. No matter what happens he was at least good enough to keep that from happening.

He will probably struggle down the stretch when we face Aubum / LSU and the leghumpers. That being said he seems to be the best we have at this point given our O line run blocking woes.

If he gets picked because he threw in a tight window into double coverage, like he did to Grimes, I am okay with it. The drop is partly on Grimes too because it actually got to his hands. FF would throw a pick that just makes you wonder what the heck was he doing or thinking.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Ancient has never said that stars don't matter. He believes they do and covets high rated classes. It is the fact that he believes that there is more to football than recruiting that so bothers cb and other astrologers. Too bad you missed the Mud Run, cb, slithering in the mud would have found you better occupied than posting misrepresentations here.
Sorry, a better characterization would be that AR minimizes the importance of stars and uses one off examples to prove his point. CB isn’t a stargazer with respect to individuals - only in aggregate. If a staff wants to land 60-75% BCs and take chances on a few diamonds in the rough that match their system, I’m all about it. If a staff wants to go the Randy Shannon route by unearthing every 3 star in Miami Dade county instead of chasing better prospects elsewhere, I’m less inclined to agree.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The Donkey, as did most of us, saw Trask as symbolic of the Butters era. It was the kind of signing that never would have been done in our hay day, and it embarrassed some people. I thought it was as nuts as anyone.
I’d add a caveat here. When you have a HC who brings in great classes (e.g. Urbs, Saban, Shart), he can bring in a guy he views as a diamond in the rough. Especially if you’re already signing a blue chipper at that position. I seem to recall Urbs bringing in a couple guys who were head scratchers. I know even Chimp found one in Taven Bryan (though he was a [Wyoming] mid 3*). Butters on the other hand thought he could have a roster full of them.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

I think that may be a bit of an overstatement given that Jerry Rice was a superstar in college and arguably the best receiver of all time. Maybe he will pull a Tom Brady and become something truly special now that he's finally getting his chance and maybe he will just be a good player for the Gators. Either way, regardless of how he got here, he has done everything ever asked of him up to now including playing pretty darn well now that his number has finally been called. Regardless how he got here, however, he's a Gator now and deserves the chance to write his story based on his performance on the field and I truly hope it's a great one! ☺️

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who GAF?

You know, Wuerffel often threw multiple ints. If you are throwing tds (or moving the ball and acoring after some diwnfield passes) ints dont hurt much. i bet #15 and #8 wish they had those catches over again.

Very nice to see vertical offense. Very nice to see WRs not blocking on almost every play (even on the passes the last three games, they were often called screens, and WRs except the one, were blocking).

Receivers running patterns create room even for draws, make LBs and safeties hesitate to read pass or run. This isnt hard.

Other teams will know better than selling out vs the run, bc we will use our WRs perhaps.

I bet #15 and #8 wish they had another chance at those touchdown passes.

We are still thoroughly wedded to zone-read. Emory Jones will be that guy, it seems. I guess I don't mind because frankly it works when he's on the field, but I just don't want to see it when Trash is on the field.

We ran some zone read in the first half with Trash however. Of course the unblocked defensive end was destroying Perine in the backfield. In the second half, he had some nice runs off traditional blocking plays, a power and something else (I forget what).

With Trash, this is what we must do.

So.... then you have a conventional offense running power, off tackle, etc for Trash and zone read and that playbook for EJ, for offensive line that's already marginal. personally, I say shelve the zone-read for the year and run a conventional offense even when EJs on the field. Make it sumple for the OL.

Preseason is almost over.

Articulate.

Hopefully he can keep it to one a game. We won't beat Auburn if we have 2 interceptions I think. We still can't run the ball even with Trask hitting all that stuff in the middle. This O line sucks at run blocking.

Last edited:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
All this hand wringing over what 1 poster writes on a board that is intensely loyal, but overall minute in the overall Gator fandom (sorry Ox, it’s just truth)? Just because SD posts 30+ times a day doesn’t make him a Florida beat writer. Who the F really cares what one guy calls the Gator QB? You all need to move on more than the legal ass needs to change 1 letter.

It’s a sports bar-esque board. Suck it up, Trask isn’t reading our bullish!t.

Plus, one guy has to be Norm (Clearly the Donk) and one has to be Cliff Claven (Ltraz). Though they are both my favorite posters, or at least in the top 20, or at least top 30, I think.

Btw sofla is definitely Frazier.

Not any 'hand wringing' here. Just sick of the BS provocateur act. Douchkey is not even in Skip Bayless' class on that front. However Trask got here, he's showing he can play so continuing to disrespect him because of how he got on the team from a decision by another coaching staff is just a serious douchebag move. If anything, he should be applauding Mullen's player development that much more given his performance to date.

So, if Douchkey wants to continue in this sophomoric practice of butchering Trask's name out of spite then he is welcome to - as am I with his.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
It ain’t arguable.

Fair enough - I certainly wouldn't. Julio Jones may ultimately make a case if he lasts as long and gets on a truly good team. Overall, though, I've never seen anyone who has been as consistent, as driven or as clutch and that plus his durability and longevity certainly makes him the GOAT in my book.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Trask beat the odds when he walked onto the field at Lexington and pulled us out of the fire. Absolutely killed Tennessee last Saturday. Quick release, throws a great catchable ball and his mind is ahead of the game. He's just what we need right now and he's given us a shot of adrenaline that we've been missing for years. We'll find out soon enough how this whole team holds up against the heavyweights. But if you're not impressed with Trask at this point you haven't been paying attention, the kid has been amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.