Interim Head Coach

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's been a lot of talk about firing Muschamp and appointing Roper the interim head ball coach. Here's the thing, I don't get why everybody keeps saying we should name Roper interim HC. What has he accomplished here that says he'd do any better than Muschamp? Everybody assumes he'd be good. That assumption is primarily because of his success as a coordinator under another successful HC. Hmmmm....that sounds vaguely familiar......

Perhaps it should be someone who has been at UF for awhile. Maybe our current DC, D.J Durkin (not that's he's doing that great with the defense) or Stan White (who was a successful OC at Wisconsin). Here's my point, I know we all rode the Roper Hype machine into the season, but that's just it. It's been all hype thus far. And we assume the offense still sucking is all Muschamp's fault. But we don't know. I just don't get him being the obvious choice as interim HC when he's been here the shortest amount of time and has yet to prove anything at UF.

What do you think? In the event that Muschamp is fired midseason who on our staff would be the best choice for interim HBC?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People want offense, so they would prefer the interim coach to be from the offensive side of the ball.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Roper becomes interim HC then nobody would complain about a defensive guy calling the plays or influencing the play calling. We would see how much of the offensive play calling frustration was Roper vs. Muschamp's influence.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing personal to Durkin, but I hope this is his last year at UF.

The reason to make Roper the interim is to give him a free trial to see how he would do as a head coach. If he tore it up, he'd be a candidate for the permanent position. It's happened many times before with interim coaches.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we lose to Georgia that would be the smart thing to do. Get a head start on letting recruits know we are going to hire a new head coach. I also doubt Muschamp would want to finish the season out like Zook did after he was fired. Not sure if firing him early affects the buyout or not. I doubt it does if he is paid in full for the season.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Whoa. Way too well thought out. Are you sure you're cut out for posting on a sports message board?

Besides, Chris Leak should be the interim head coach.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n80483 said:
If Roper becomes interim HC then nobody would complain about a defensive guy calling the plays or influencing the play calling. We would see how much of the offensive play calling frustration was Roper vs. Muschamp's influence.
Not that I'm really high on the coaching at this point, but watching what I've watched for one plus seasons, I have to think we have a lack of playmakers and/or too many under-performers. For all his faults, I think Muschamp's influence on the offense (beyond overall philosophy) is more of a popular myth than anything else. Now I do hold him and the staff accountable for the underperformance, whether from teaching or recruiting.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n80488 said:
Nothing personal to Durkin, but I hope this is his last year at UF.

The reason to make Roper the interim is to give him a free trial to see how he would do as a head coach. If he tore it up, he'd be a candidate for the permanent position. It's happened many times before with interim coaches.

Interesting proposition. But he would only have a few games as HC, AT BEST. I thought we wanted a proven HC with a proven track record.

I also wonder how many interims have been given the HC job at seasons end. I know it has happened but seems like it's pretty seldom.

G

gatorchamps0607

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think most people are misguided in their quest for ONLY an offensive head coach. It doesn't matter which one you get, he just has to understand that he needs to hire an OC/DC and he needs to allow him to do his thing without stepping in with input. Essentially, if you get a defensive HC, you need to hire an OC that is technically the offensive head coach.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n80503 said:
Not that I'm really high on the coaching at this point, but watching what I've watched for one plus seasons, I have to think we have a lack of playmakers and/or too many under-performers. For all his faults, I think Muschamp's influence on the offense (beyond overall philosophy) is more of a popular myth than anything else. Now I do hold him and the staff accountable for the underperformance, whether from teaching or recruiting.

I agree, but 75-90% of this board is going to disagree with you on this comment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatorchamps0607;n80507 said:
I think most people are misguided in their quest for ONLY an offensive head coach. It doesn't matter which one you get, he just has to understand that he needs to hire an OC/DC and he needs to allow him to do his thing without stepping in with input. Essentially, if you get a defensive HC, you need to hire an OC that is technically the offensive head coach.

It's a cultural thing at UF, the team and the organization functions more effectively under the Offensive Head Coach mindset.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n80503 said:

I agree we don't have the talent some think we have on offense but Muschamp should be held accountable imo for stubbornly playing Driskel despite him performing worse than most freshman. I don't know what the deal is there but I guess he wants to go down with Driskel at the helm of the offense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n80506 said:
Interesting proposition. But he would only have a few games as HC, AT BEST. I thought we wanted a proven HC with a proven track record.

I also wonder how many interims have been given the HC job at seasons end. I know it has happened but seems like it's pretty seldom.
We do want a proven head coach, but it wouldn't cost us anything to at least give Roper a look as the head guy for a few games. Interim's becoming coaches IS seldom, but it does happen. Recruiting would probably have a lot to do with it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n80510 said:
You're right, GatorBait, but I always strive to be in the top 10-25%! Seriously, though, if college teams could trade for the post-season like baseball, outside of Hargreaves, I don't know who else would get offered.

I agree, but 75-90% of this board is going to disagree with you on this comment.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n80516 said:
I agree we don't have the talent some think we have on offense but Muschamp should be held accountable imo for stubbornly playing Driskel despite him performing worse than most freshman. I don't know what the deal is there but I guess he wants to go down with Driskel at the helm of the offense.

I think most people are prejudging how things are going to happen before they happen. This is perhaps for good reason, however, we haven't had the opportunity to really play Harris since the end of the Tennessee game. Missouri will be the first opportunity for him to get meaningful playing time. I'm willing to wait to see what happens in this game before I go jumping off the ledge.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n80503 said:

Into this 4th season and on the third OC, I'd say it's more than a popular myth.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n80506 said:

You only have to look back 30 years in Gator history (which really is lifetimes ago in a football sense) to find the answer to that question. He worked out pretty well, having to deal with probation and all. In the end, he was fired for what today would have been considered a "nothing" offense. But then, his firing led to SOS's hiring.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n80503 said:

I agree, but we keep hearing it over and over on the message board and from the fans... so why not give Roper the interim HC and then we will know.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're right GBait, but I pride myself in being in the top 10-25%! Seriously, if colleges could trade like MLB, outside of Hargreaves, who would a top 25 team really want from our current roster to help with the latter part of the season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.