Interim Head Coach

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n80879 said:
And as I pointed out in the game this year that they both got 15+ carries, Taylor still unperformed Jones (4.3 to 5.4). We aren't in the same offense we were at the end of last year. This offense you have to be able to line up, block, run, aand run routes. Taylor has show problems with everyone of those this year. He isn't running with the same authority. He has lined up incorrectly a number of times, twice Saturday night Driskel grabbed him by the shoulder pads to move him into position. The blocking has been hit or miss, but I don't blame him for the one Roper got on his case about. Route Running, cost us big on a screen pass in Alabama (crossing the line of scrimmage), and other than swing routes has been inconsistent in this department.

You have to prove you belong on the field.

Go to a 2 back set and get rid of the useless TE's that give us nothing in the passing game and don't do anything but clog up the middle when we try and run the ball there which is the only place we try and run it.....My point is there are ways imaginative coaches get ultra talented players on the field.....Did we ask Tebow to become a great drop back passer ? Or Chris Leak to be a great read option guy ?.....By the way, some of the best shooters in BB were not very good defenders but their coaches were smart enough to know despite their deficiencies there was way to much upside to not having them on the court.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n80874 said:
Did you really agree with me on something.......Ox, someone has hacked Alagator's account. JK, by the way I'm glad we didn't "waist" a redshirt on him...

:dunno: Who knew???

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n80890 said:
Go to a 2 back set and get rid of the useless TE's that give us nothing in the passing game and don't do anything but clog up the middle when we try and run the ball there which is the only place we try and run it.....My point is there are ways imaginative coaches get ultra talented players on the field.....Did we ask Tebow to become a great drop back passer ? Or Chris Leak to be a great read option guy ?.....By the way, some of the best shooters in BB were not very good defenders but their coaches were smart enough to know despite their deficiencies there was way to much upside to not having them on the court.

I agree he is talented, but Driskel is talented and he should be benched. Taylor's issues isn't talent, it's between his ears. Instead of taking the plays that are there, he keeps trying to hit the home run. That makes him a liability. The comparisions you make are invalid in this situation. Taylor is an half back, not like switching between a pro-style and dual-threat quarterback. Both Leak and Tebow had to change their games to fit into the system and the system was tweaked for their skill set, but Tebow did sit in the pocket and Leak did run the option. Now I'm not opposed to having a 2 back set with Taylor and Jones, they are excellent compliments. But that doesn't change the fact he needs to learn his position to stay on the field.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How can you be so blind? Foley 's ego will never permit his many vocal critics to be appeased and validated by the stigma of removing in the middle of the season his highly publicized choice of Will Mushcamp as Urban' Meyer's replacement. There is always the hope and a prayer of defeating Florida's two bitterest rivals,, the Dawgs and the Noles. Simply stated if Florida brings down Georgia and Florida State Will Muschamp will be the head coach in 2015.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n80909 said:
How can you be so blind? Foley 's ego will never permit his many vocal critics to be appeased and validated by the stigma of removing in the middle of the season his highly publicized choice of Will Mushcamp as Urban' Meyer's replacement. There is always the hope and a prayer of defeating Florida's two bitterest rivals,, the Dawgs and the Noles. Simply stated if Florida brings down Georgia and Florida State Will Muschamp will be the head coach in 2015.

Probably a correct statement, but unless something big changes we are not winning either of those games. And of course Foley does not hear those posting here (at least I hope not), he does hear from the top Bull Gators and I bet some of them are not happy and telling him about it. If they are unhappy at the end of the season change will be made.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n80879 said:
And as I pointed out in the game this year that they both got 15+ carries, Taylor still underperformed Jones (4.3 to 5.4). We aren't in the same offense we were at the end of last year. This offense you have to be able to line up, block, run, aand run routes. Taylor has show problems with everyone of those this year. He isn't running with the same authority. He has lined up incorrectly a number of times, twice Saturday night Driskel grabbed him by the shoulder pads to move him into position. The blocking has been hit or miss, but I don't blame him for the one Roper got on his case about. Route Running, cost us big on a screen pass in Alabama (crossing the line of scrimmage), and other than swing routes has been inconsistent in this department.

You have to prove you belong on the field.

If you have to "prove" you belong on the field, why is Driskel playing??

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82091 said:
If you have to "prove" you belong on the field, why is Driskel playing??

Who else has "proved" they belonged there on Game Day. Now Harris in my opinion would have gotten a chance against LSU to prove he could do it, if it was not for the allegations. It's comes down to results, Driskel's results this season haven't been good, but there isn't a great sample size of Harris to replace him. Also a number of recievers and TE need to be replace as well.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Nobodys been able to "prove" they belong on the field when Driskel plays the entire game with the same results every time and starts anyhow.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82118 said:
Nobodys been able to "prove" they belong on the field when Driskel plays the entire game with the same results every time and starts anyhow.

So 100% of the offensive production is Driskel's fault? Ok. I guess no one else also has a job to do.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Never said that .Simply stated a fact that Driskel has been given chance after chance to prove himself and has pretty much failed. Much of the problem is on him but not all. Bad receiving and poor play calling has contributed as well. Just saying that if playing means proving you should be out there, he probably shouldnt be playing.....I am no Driskel hater. I just dont believe he has the tools to play at this level.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82124 said:
Never said that .Simply stated a fact that Driskel has been given chance after chance to prove himself and has pretty much failed. Much of the problem is on him but not all. Bad receiving and poor play calling has contributed as well. Just saying that if playing means proving you should be out there, he probably shouldnt be playing.....I am no Driskel hater. I just dont believe he has the tools to play at this level.

And I don't argue with that, but until this year who have we had that could truly compete. And do we really know if the two we think can compete can truly compete yet? That is why Harris needs some more playing time. We can't blindly throw a Freshman into SEC play with the other pieces around them also "dropping the ball" in their performances as well.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I dont completely agree. Alot of teams start freshmans. At this point in the season, I dont believe we have a choice. I think its obvious we arent going anywhere if we continue doing what we are doing. I would be willing to wager that throwing the freshman in will bring better results in the long run but of course I have no way of knowing for certain. We all want to win and insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82139 said:
I dont completely agree. Alot of teams start freshmans. At this point in the season, I dont believe we have a choice. I think its obvious we arent going anywhere if we continue doing what we are doing. I would be willing to wager that throwing the freshman in will bring better results in the long run but of course I have no way of knowing for certain. We all want to win and insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

As I said before I don't think we can do what we did last week, but I think last week was more due to the allegations on Harris than the actual game plan. Now, I do expect Harris in the game for at least 30% of the snaps. If the offense shows the same life it showed in Tennesse, then keep Harris out longer. I don't think Driskel currently has it and there has been no evidence he ever will. I think coaching especially at his position has been horrible for the last 6 years (including Tebow's last year). We have a complete lack of development when it comes to offensive talent, not that the development in defensive talent has been much better.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
And I thought Roper would help with that. Maybe if he starts focusing on Harris he can develop into a solid QB...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82163 said:
And I thought Roper would help with that. Maybe if he starts focusing on Harris he can develop into a solid QB...

I believe we all thought that. So either Roper isn't what we thought, or Driskel might be too broken/never had it begin with. At this point, who knows?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82170 said:
Yea, another reason to focus on Harris / Grier.....

Which I think we are. I believe the allegations on Harris delayed us more than we realize at this point.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n82169 said:
I believe we all thought that. So either Roper isn't what we thought, or Driskel might be too broken/never had it begin with. At this point, who knows?

I am thinking its the latter. Roper has had success elsewhere.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n82198 said:
I am thinking its the latter. Roper has had success elsewhere.

Remember that he was the QB coach for Eli back at Ole Miss. I think it's more that JD has issues than that Roper cannot teach him.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Gator Fever;n80516 said:
I agree we don't have the talent some think we have on offense but Muschamp should be held accountable imo for stubbornly playing Driskel despite him performing worse than most freshman. I don't know what the deal is there but I guess he wants to go down with Driskel at the helm of the offense.

I see what your saying but it's not completely accurate to say the coaches have blindly stuck with Jeff at all costs. I guess he could have benched him in the Bama game, but we were even at half and then it got away from us so fast that they didn't want to toss Harris in and risk injury or him getting gun-shy from taking a pounding in a certain loss on the road in a hostile environment. It took him awhile, but Muschamp did bench Jeff for Harris in time to salvage the UT game so if ends justify means, no harm there. Harris wasn't available for LSU and they didn't want to burn Grier's RS plus he probably isn't ready. Jeff's best pass was late in the game and it looked like he was going to have his best game of the season and lead us to victory right up until Westbrooks drop and Jeff's dumb pass to Pittman. They are going to play Harris in this game. I'd like to have seen Harris sooner, but overall QB management hasn't been as bad as it has been made out to be. We'll have to see which QB gets more or less PT. It's hard to balance playing 2 QBs so hopefully it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator