It's a pretty big 'What if?'

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
but..

What if this staff runs the table and wins out, while also showing growth on offense in developing a passing attack with Treon? Putting the unlikely scenario of us backing into the SEC Championship Game aside, would this give anyone pause to possibly give Muschamp and his staff one more year?

Look, I haven't made it a secret I wanted him fired after Georgia Southern last year. While I think I've done a good job of not beating the dead horse this year, I'm sitting here Monday after a thorough crushing of Georgia contemplating this very question. Honestly, if the premise set forth in the above question came to pass, I really think I'd be okay with seeing Muschamp get one more year.

Am I going crazy? Should I make an appointment with my doctor? Is this what happens when the bar is lowered so far that hope springs eternal from the faintest glimpse of success?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
If they are solid, total team (off, def, st) wins, then yes... if they are "2012/11-2" season kind of wins, no.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think that we revisit this question in a couple weeks. He's won 1 game. 1 Game! Our first feel good game in 4 years!

Other than that throttling of SC in 2012.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n97458 said:
Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them.

Not gonna lie, it's the first thing I thought of after posting this thread. Oh well, I'm still in a great mood from beating Georgia. Please, Sir, can I have another?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
GatorJ;n97457 said:
I think that we revisit this question in a couple weeks. He's won 1 game. 1 Game! Our first feel good game in 4 years!

The throttling of SC in 2012 is EXACTLY what I mean by a "2012/11-2" season win and thus a "no, fire him anyway" decision. How many of our "drives" started within the SC 20-30? Our great D masked a TERRIBLE offense that year... same with blocked punt for the win.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That would put us at 8-3, with wins over our main 3 rivals (two of which were on the road), and a berth in what would probably be the Capital One or Outback Bowl. Not the greatest season we've had by any stretch, but when you consider we would have been 9-3 with the Idaho game, we went 4-8 last year, we were at rock bottom midway through the season, and we finished strong with a true freshman behind center......Foley's decision won't be an easy one.

It would really boil down to deciding if the strong finish is a sign of things to come, or if it was fool's gold. Because the big turn around would have started with benching our veteran QB and WR and going with the young guys, so there's every reason to believe they'll only get better. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes to make that call.

And to the people here who will say right now that they would still want him gone after winning out and beating FSU on the road, come back and say that immediately after we beat FSU on the road (if it happens). I have a hard time believing people will still be that gung ho about it on Thanksgiving Weekend.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n97457 said:

I would think that our dismantling of FSU on the road later that season was our last feel good win.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n97457 said:

The difference is this was a complete game, a beat down of a very good opponent, and it was Georgia. It will be interesting to see if Treon is a big part of it. Just his presence. Makes you wonder what would have happened had we not had the distractions and he started the Missouri game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97461 said:
That would put us at 8-3, with wins over our main 3 rivals (two of which were on the road), and a berth in what would probably be the Capital One or Outback Bowl. Not the greatest season we've had by any stretch, but when you consider we would have been 9-3 with the Idaho game, we went 4-8 last year, we were at rock bottom midway through the season, and we finished strong with a true freshman behind center......Foley's decision won't be an easy one.

It would really boil down to deciding if the strong finish is a sign of things to come, or if it was fool's gold. Because the big turn around would have started with benching our veteran QB and WR and going with the young guys, so there's every reason to believe they'll only get better. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes to make that call.

And to the people here who will say right now that they would still want him gone after winning out and beating FSU on the road, come back and say that immediately after we beat FSU on the road (if it happens). I have a hard time believing people will still be that gung ho about it on Thanksgiving Weekend.

That's why you schnitcan him after Mizzou. You make it easy. This keeping him around for another year is a joke. The kids rallied for Ron Zook too. So what? It's TOO LATE. The ship has sailed. Bringing him back is a monumental mistake. Hell, hiring him was a huge mistake. But keeping him? After a short lil win streak? Hell no. We've seen what this guy is capable of and he's a lifetime average coach. That's his record and that's all he'll ever be.

Fool's gold.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n97457 said:

You didn't feel good in beating fsucks in 2012?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n97461 said:

When we got back to the tailgate, I said "this is why he should've been fired after Mizzou". The reality is, it's probably too little, too late. But yes, Foley has potentially made this much tougher and less well-received than it would've been otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of the what-if games personally. It's one win. If and when it turns into 3-4, then I think we address it. Honestly, with the way Lsu is playing, and how that game finished, I think the only loss that's inexcusable is Mizzou. But the problem I see here is the "players are playing for their coach", mindset. Really? It took him being all but fired for them to be motivated enough to give it their all? That's a serious issue that needs to be included in any discussion about his future.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97462 said:
I would think that our dismantling of FSU on the road later that season was our last feel good win.

And it was our last "complete" win. BTW Captain, while we're all aware of JD being benched, which WR was benched? Dunbar? There wasn't any obvious "announcement" of any WR being benched like there was with JD.

Hey, this is my 200th post!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n97498 said:
When we got back to the tailgate, I said "this is why he should've been fired after Mizzou". The reality is, it's probably too little, too late. But yes, Foley has potentially made this much tougher and less well-received than it would've been otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of the what-if games personally. It's one win. If and when it turns into 3-4, then I think we address it. Honestly, with the way Lsu is playing, and how that game finished, I think the only loss that's inexcusable is Mizzou. But the problem I see here is the "players are playing for their coach", mindset. Really? It took him being all but fired for them to be motivated enough to give it their all? That's a serious issue that needs to be included in any discussion about his future.

This says it all. Foley is looking for reasons to keep him. And he'll keep him at 7-4. I have little doubt. Dude has lost it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n97515 said:
And it was our last "complete" win. BTW Captain, while we're all aware of JD being benched, which WR was benched? Dunbar? There wasn't any obvious "announcement" of any WR being benched like there was with JD.

Hey, this is my 200th post!

There wasn't an announcement, but Dunbar hasn't seen the field since the LSU game. Verne and Gary pointed it out at the beginning of the UGA game, and I never watched the Mizzou game broadcast so I have no idea if they mentioned it then.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have to keep believing he has already been told he is not returning and Foley is already searching. Gotta keep believing.....

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n97498 said:
But the problem I see here is the "players are playing for their coach", mindset. Really? It took him being all but fired for them to be motivated enough to give it their all? That's a serious issue that needs to be included in any discussion about his future.

I don't see it that way. I think it took Muschamp to treat Driskel like he treats darn near every other position on the field; you make a mistake and you get screamed at and/or benched. The problem in the locker room was the double standard and the bending over backwards that happened for one guy, ONE GUY, that nobody else had the privilege of enjoying.

It seems to be the in-thing with a lot of coaches nowadays to downplay the importance of the QB, but the QB is the general on the field of the team. Driskel is a good kid who is faithfully going to class, representing UF well and doing the best he can, but it doesn't mean he should ever be starting QB for us again. Both Treon Harris and Will Grier were said to have the 'it factor' by Muschamp, and I firmly believe that our offense will be better with either one of those on the field simply because their last names aren't Driskel.

Of course I could be completely wrong and our offense may come crashing back down to garbage next game even with Treon leading it, but that's half the fun with speculating. Putting it out there without the benefit of hindsight and seeing how close to reality it is makes for fun discussion.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n97521 said:
I have to keep believing he has already been told he is not returning and Foley is already searching. Gotta keep believing.....

I think you are spot on... His whole demeanor seemed more relaxed and like he was actually enjoying himself....

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
gatormandan;n97521 said:

THIS.

But in the unlikely chance Muschamp is retained, the thing that will help me survive will be hope at quarterback (either Treon or Will). Nevertheless, I have no confidence that Muschamp, either this or next year, would call a game that fully utilizes all of our offensive talent. It would be another year of accepting 17 point victories against teams like Bowling Green, winning half the time against mediocre SEC opponents, and losing to nearly all superior SEC opponents (last week notwithstanding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.